Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Live Album (1980) "Rude Boys Outta Jail"

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » The Specials   
View previous topic :: View next topic

Have you ever heard of the 1980 live album, "Rude Boys Outta Jail"?
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 12

AuthorMessage
joebressler

Post subject: Live Album (1980) "Rude Boys Outta Jail" Reply with quote

Does anybody know anything about this release? I bought it at a record store in California about 1980 and it was only available for a couple of weeks. I have since heard that it was a bootleg LP (reminds me of 'Gangters'). Any info about this would be great. I have only listened to it twice since then (to keep it in good condition). It is a double LP set. Peeece! Joe
PostPosted:
Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:43 am
Top of Page
Trojan
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also another bootleg from the same venue and and date, Boston Paradise 1/30/80. The other recording goes by the title Gangters and is of the same sound quality i.e. shite and has only marginally better artwork.

More info/scans here:

http://2-tone.info/2tone.pl?display295

I haven't got around to adding text for this release on the site because it is such a horrible record that I can't think of anything to say about it. Very Happy

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:51 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
joebressler

Wow...you've got tons of info on that site! Even "the Two Tone Book For Rude Boys." That was my favourite for a long time (also a long time ago). The first time I cut my hair short ('70s were over) was off of a page in that book--a picture of Terry hall--I think it was around page 15(?)--a group photo.
Thanks for the info on "Rude Boys Out Of Jail." Do you have any idea how many were printed? I remember seeing in the record store and borrowing money from my brother. Most records at the time were $6.98 but this one was $14.00--a lot for a little kid--but I had to have it. I was glad I bought it then, because the very next time I went to the store, the rack that proudly displayed the album was gone--as was any sign of that record ever existing. Not until now, 23 years later, have I ever heard about it. Thanks again. p.s. The label is orange and lists the songs. I have it in storage about 300 miles away, but when I get it, I can phtograph it if you'd like. Anything Specials is noteworthy...and The Fun Boy Three...and The Colourfield....and....
PostPosted:
Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:12 pm
Top of Page
Trojan
Too Hot

Glad you like the site. It has taken a lot of time and effort but we think it has been worth it. Keep checking back on a regular basis as we are updating on a regular basis.

I am not too sure how many copies of The Rude Boys Out of Jail LP were produced but bootlegs are usually produced in runs of 1000. How many 'runs' of this particular LP there were I would have no idea.

Thanks for the offer to scan the labels but I have them scanned its just that we haven't got around to uploading them yet. However, if there are any other items that you have which are not on the site please get in touch.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:56 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
yarks
Special

Your site certainly does rule Trojan, good work fella!
PostPosted:
Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:27 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail

My copy is A1 sounds perfect.Ive also got the gangters pressing which is just as good.What do you think about the Manchester bootleg?
PostPosted:
Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:01 pm
Top of Page
Paul Willo
Site Admin
Site Admin

The manchester bootleg is great-very weird hearing "Guns Of Navarone" with no brass! - and its a tight set but its amazing just how good the group got live after this.The Specials were very much THE live experience. Cool
www.theskapones.co.uk

www.youtube.com/paulska67

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/TheSpecials2Com/245413985501746

www.roddyradiation.com

PostPosted:
Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:12 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail