TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Chat  Goto page 1, 2  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
COB
Gangster
Gangster

Post subject: Sorry for asking...???? Reply with quote

Sorry not posted in a while,, but have still been a regular reader
.....here's the thing the words "Plastic or Plastic's keep appearing in various threads....
bearing in mind this is not terminology I have used say since ?I was 13..
Is it still Ok to go( when not dressed up in full Rude boy or Skinhead regalia) to see an ex 2 Tone band or members of it without feeling guilty??
PostPosted:
Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:04 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageAIM Address
Graham
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the term would be more relevant if you dressed up as a Rude Boy or Skinhead,just for that Gig tbh.

Well in my book anyway.
Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:42 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
COB
Gangster
Gangster

...but by my reckoning is is it not about the love of the music???? Confused
PostPosted:
Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:48 pm
Graham
Too Hot

It is about the music,

Thats what Im trying to say, if you dress up just for a gig, do, event etc.... then it becomes like a fetish and a bit of a joke. It really takes the edge of it. Might as well be into Rubber, lol.

If your not a Skin or a Rudeboy or a Mod or what ever, dont just dress up as one for one night. Be who you are.

Thats why I rapped in being a Skin after 15 years, its all or nothing, so goin the shop or going to "THE" event of the year, I was always a Skin.

Hope iot makes sense to some one, lol
Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:59 pm
COB
Gangster
Gangster

...I Know Exactly what your saying Gray,,but from the info that I know Id say the recent Specials tour attracted 90% worth of "Plastic's",, is that wrong???
PostPosted:
Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:07 pm
Graham
Too Hot

Its not for me to Judge.

Its not wrong for people to enjoy themselves and re live there youth.

I just dont like something I hold passionately in my heart becoming fancy dress if that makes sense,

TBH The Gigs are different matter, Im more tallking about the Rallies and scene where people are all this and that, just for the Day.

I dont think there was that many people passing themselves off as skins or rudies at the gigs, more a matter of enjoying the moment.

I dont think theres anyone who dressed up for the night wud claim to be skinheads.

hink were off track here anyway.

I do find it a derogatory term though plastics, another one is Born agains.

We all have to start somewhere, I think on the mainpart its when the folks have this attitude of being the Big I AM, when theres some of us who kept the flag flying through the Dark years.
Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:21 pm
COB
Gangster
Gangster

..True I also find the term a bit derogatory,,and its also true that its a bit of topic,,,,but from reading this forum Id say that a big majority or the members other than their love of 2 tone also equally love other Genres of music, does everyone have to be so hardcore.... eg flying the flag "I love 2 tone/Mod /ska more than you.....
PostPosted:
Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:34 pm
Graham
Too Hot

No they dont.

But Love the Music, dont try and pass yourself off as something you aint.

(NB you is not actually referring to You Wink)

Skinhead is a way of life, its in your heart, its not fancy dress!
Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:43 pm
COB
Gangster
Gangster

Graham wrote:
No they dont.

But Love the Music, dont try and pass yourself off as something you aint.

(NB you is not actually referring to You Wink)

Skinhead is a way of life, its in your heart, its not fancy dress!

..never intended to have a pop at anyone who Keeps the faith apologies if that's the way it came across....
..Trying to get to the bottom of what constitutes being a "Plastic"....
If Its not about the music,,

I take it we're talking' about the packet fresh Fred Perry's as seen at the recent Specials gigs.....
That said given the age demographic Id say that at least half the audience were "Plastic by Proxy"......
Given that the Wives/girlfriend probably buy the clothes..... Smile

Last edited by COB on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted:
Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:04 am

Plastics - A term used by over sensitive torch bearers to protect their high position in a low place.

Plastics - A term used by scared and lonely anoraks to describe their fear of powerful new blood spilling on to their retro clothing

Plastics - A term used by music snobs to hide their inability to open up and accept other forms of person and music into their limited universe.

Plastics - an elitist phrase delivered as insult to quash diversity, choice and personal belief in favour of a regimented idea of fashion, music, style and politics.

Anyone who uses the word Plastics is a scared little boy lost in world long gone.
PostPosted:
Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:44 am
Top of Page
Stewart Rennie
Too Hot

Plastics - Saw the Specials last year with there mates,thought they were great,got pissed had a great night,joined this forum for the pre sale and generally no where to be seen for the last 29 years.That's as far as it goes for them

Non-Plastics-Were maybe too young too see the original incarnation of The Specials but saw the mk 2's and have supported the scene they love ,drove up and down the motorways late at night from gig to gig,slept on floors,put gigs on for there Ska mates an embraced new people trying to do something different in the "Ska Genre" which is the way ahead.

Nostalgia is great but a change would do you good.

Right i'm off to did out my Complete Madness gatefold lp from my MFI furniture and dance round the living room to Baggy Trousers.
PostPosted:
Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:53 pm

Stewart Rennie wrote:
Right i'm off to did out my Complete Madness gatefold lp from my MFI furniture and dance round the living room to Baggy Trousers.

That Complete Madness gatefold is brilliant.

I remember sitting in my bedroom looking at that for hours.
PostPosted:
Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:09 pm
Top of Page

Stewart Rennie wrote:
Plastics - Saw the Specials last year with there mates,thought they were great,got pissed had a great night,joined this forum for the pre sale and generally no where to be seen for the last 29 years.That's as far as it goes for them

What's plastic about that?

The Specials were nowhere to be seen for 29 years.

Would it have been better if the tour was announced and nobdoy but a handful of lifelong diehards bought tickets and went and stood alone in the middle of Brixton Academy?

The Specials needed that audience of old and new to be able to carry on last year. If no one bought the tickets there wouldn't be a Specials to see.

I think people need to stop being so snobbish about music.

I been going to gigs for 25 years and I've seen thousands of bands in that time. Some people may have only been to one or two gigs. Don't mean they like music less than me or that they're in someway fake. They may just have other things to do.

I suspect a huge amount of the people seeing the Specials last year haven't been to many other gigs at all. They were just old blokes who probably have families and wanted to catch a band that fired 'em up when they were young. Nothing 'plastic' about that. I hope they enjpyed themselves.

I do wonder why there's so much fear about other people 'who weren't there at the start' liking the same music, or coming to it later.

fucking high horses people!
PostPosted:
Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:22 pm
Top of Page
Graham
Too Hot

My musical taste cover the total Spectrum, and I dont dress for any if it (fnar fnar);

I Say embrace new blood.

Just hope my rant made sense to someone. Wink

To be honest, Ive never used the term Plastics (feel free to check my posts), I would have more of a problem with part timers (not referring to Music, referring to style)
Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:28 pm

Graham wrote:
My musical taste cover the total Spectrum, and I dont dress for any if it (fnar fnar);

I Say embrace new blood.

To be honest, Ive never used the term Plastics (feel free to check my posts), I would have more of a problem with part timers (not referring to Music, referring to style)

I became friends with someone a couple of years back who wne tot loads of gigs in the late 70s (saw the Specials in Croydon) and got married and had kids. He suffered from depression too and really just stopped going to gigs and stopped listening to new music.

I started asking to come to shows and he's completely re-embraced music and found himself a bit after 20 years of being a dad (with depression).

It's good that he got back out there and is found one of his old passions again.

I do take issue with people who only go to a gig because they think it's the 'in place to be' and they're normally the over trendy wankers talking all through the show.

They're not plastic, just fucking posers.

Those Specials shows were full of energy from the audience. That doesn't come from people who are not interested, that was passion revving up those evenings and if someone's only got room to do that once in 30 years then good luck to them and I hope they had a good time.

There was a poor bloke next to me at Hammersmith who looked like he was gonna peg out from dancing - around 50, overweight, but 'aving it!
PostPosted:
Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:15 pm
Top of Page
Huggy
Ska Face
Ska Face

I believe it is Popeye who said it best: "Top to me bottom and bottom to me top, that's the way it is 'til the day that I drop. What am I? I yam what I yam."
PostPosted:
Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:30 pm
ketteringphil
Special

Good post Nanker.

Some of my best memories from those shows last year are of the people I met,whatever gig I was at I seemed to be surrounded by smiling,happy people with the same sense of anticipation as me.Only at the Ricoh did I feel that there was maybe a section of the crowd only there because they thought they ought to be,but that was always likely to happen in a crowd that size.
Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:42 pm
Graham
Too Hot

Nanker Phelge wrote:
Graham wrote:

I Say embrace new blood.

I became friends with someone a couple of years back who wne tot loads of gigs in the late 70s (saw the Specials in Croydon) and got married and had kids. He suffered from depression too and really just stopped going to gigs and stopped listening to new music.

I started asking to come to shows and he's completely re-embraced music and found himself a bit after 20 years of being a dad (with depression).

It's good that he got back out there and is found one of his old passions again.

I do take issue with people who only go to a gig because they think it's the 'in place to be' and they're normally the over trendy wankers talking all through the show.

They're not plastic, just fucking posers.

Those Specials shows were full of energy from the audience. That doesn't come from people who are not interested, that was passion revving up those evenings and if someone's only got room to do that once in 30 years then good luck to them and I hope they had a good time.

There was a poor bloke next to me at Hammersmith who looked like he was gonna peg out from dancing - around 50, overweight, but 'aving it!

I for one had no problem with any of the crowds during the tour, and loved seeing people reliving their youth, its good for the soul.
Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:43 pm
EssexSteve
Too Hot

Nanker Phelge wrote:

you cheeky ****

i'm only 42 !!
Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:43 pm
Stewart Rennie
Too Hot

Never said there's anything wrong with being a casual fan,all bands need them,just don't appear from nowhere giving it the big 1.

Last edited by Stewart Rennie on Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted:
Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:01 pm