Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Jerry in the Button Factory - Dublin - 28/07/11 (DJ Set)

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » Jerry Dammers   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Fester
Too Hot

Post subject: Jerry in the Button Factory - Dublin - 28/07/11 (DJ Set) Reply with quote

u:mack
Present
Jerry Dammers (The Specials) Dj Set
+ Daithi Ramsay
Thursday 28 July
Button Factory
Doors 8pm
Free Admission
Jack & Coke €5, Pitchers €10

The legendary Jerry Dammers plays a DJ set on Thursday July 28, expect some serious Reggae & Ska magic. Please note, this event starts early.
Jerry Dammers, the mastermind behind The Specials and Two Tone, makes a welcome visit to Ireland with his big box of ska funk and reggae seven inch records. Jerry, who chose to continue exploring his musical creativity with the Spatial AKA Orchestra rather than join the Specials reunion tour, is world renown as a fantastic dj, bringing the party wherever he goes. Back in the 1980s Jerry Dammers was responsible for directing an entire youth movement and for creating the highly acclaimed Two Tone scene, releasing Madness' first single as well as tunes by The Beat, The Selector and of course The Specials. Having grown up in the 60's listening to the ska and heady reggae-infused pop of Toots, Buster and Drummond, Dammers and friends fell quite comfortably into setting the tempo themselves - forming Special AKA in '77. As The Specials, the band recorded hits like "Too Much Too Young", *"Gangsters" and "Ghost Town", all written and arranged by Jerry. A former art student Jerry also drew the iconic 'Walt Jabsco' ska man and the black and white check that would become instantly identifiable with the label.

As the Special AKA (reverting back to the original name), he recorded the anthemic "Free Nelson Mandela" which established itself as the worldwide anthem for the growing demand of the jailed African National Congress leader to be released by the South African authorities. Since breaking away from the Special AKA set-up, Dammers threw himself into such organisations as Artists Against Apartheid and the Red Wedge anti-Conservatives campaign, and has recently appeared on stage at festivals playing keyboards for Madness. His production credits over the years include Robert Wyatt's "The Wind Of Change" and Junior Delgado's acclaimed "Fearless" album, and his eighteen piece Spatial AKA Orchestra, which began as a homage to Sun Ra, wooed critics and public alike when they toured the UK and Europe last year.

Today Jerry Dammers is most frequently seen behind a DJ booth. Expect ska, reggae, funk, and a few surprises as this master of manipulation makes everyone dance, dance and dance! Support will come from Letterkenny based DJ Daithi Ramsay, a veteran of the local Donegal scene, he has guested with many top acts including The Wailers and Soul Jazz Sound System's 100% Dynamite
PostPosted:
Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:51 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Peter
Ska Face
Ska Face

Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant news, I'm back from London that day so straight into town for "The General" Smile
PostPosted:
Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:38 pm
nutmeg81
Special

ONLY SAW THIS TODAY ON THE VENUE SITE.

ANY IDEA WHAT TIME HE MIGHT BO ON IF IT AN EARLY START? MAYBE THERE A GIG OR NIGHT ON AFTER?

I GOT RADIO SO WILL BE B4 9.30!!

BRINGIN MY VINYL ALONG TO TRY AND ADD ANOTHER SIGNATURE!!
PostPosted:
Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:07 pm
BALLABLUE
Stereotype

Just saw that the General is playing Dolans in Limerick 30/07 as well...
PostPosted:
Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:16 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

Thanks Fester

See you later Smile Don't forget to wear your Specials2.com Shirts Very Happy
Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:52 pm
waltjabsco79
Ska Face
Ska Face

Post subject: Great Nite Reply with quote

Great nite Cool
Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:03 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger

Good old Jerry Very Happy
PostPosted:
Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:58 am
Top of Page
waltjabsco79
Ska Face
Ska Face

Gerry aka the General is one of my hero`s since i was 3"9. It was great 2 meet him on thursday nite.He signed my look-in mag & face magazine He created the best band & music in the world. thanks 4 the photo Paul. Hope you can drop down to the ska festival next weekend
I`m just a stereotype Shocked
Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:16 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Sugarman
Too Hot

No Problem Adrian glad you had a great night I had too I hadn't spoken to Jerry for ages he was in great form and played a great set. I got my In The Studio Signed. might see you at the festival next week if not see you up in Belfast or Amsterdam Smile
Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:27 pm
waltjabsco79
Ska Face
Ska Face

Great to see you Paul see you in Amsterdam Cool
Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:34 am