Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information The Specials / BBC Arena Question

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » The Specials   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Sugarman
Too Hot

Post subject: The Specials / BBC Arena Question Reply with quote

Do any of you know the name of the Bar in Coventry Precinct that Terry walks in to during Blank Expression featured in the BBC Arena Documentary ? I'll be going to Coventry next month and I would like to buy a pint in that Bar if it's still there ? Smile

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px">
Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:49 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Stevo
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure as I can't find the clip, but I can say with a quiet confidence that it isn't there anymore. Not a lot of pubs in the centre of Cov have survived various council's regeneration programmes. In fact I can't think of any pubs in the precinct now.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kifaru-Roots-Rockers-Reggae/353161905852

www.kifaru.co.uk

http://www.myspace.com/kifarureggae
PostPosted:
Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:52 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website
Sugarman
Too Hot

Post subject: Re: The Specials / BBC Arena Question Reply with quote

Sugarman wrote:
Do any of you know the name of the Bar in Coventry Precinct that Terry walks in to during Blank Expression featured in the BBC Arena Documentary ? I'll be going to Coventry next month and I would like to buy a pint in that Bar if it's still there ? Smile

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px">

Thanks Stevo

Now that you mention it the clip of Terry walking into a bar may not have been shot at the Precinct but somewhere close by, like Tiffany's or some local bar in the area that might be still there ? the said clip isn't on youtube that's why you couldn't find it.

I'm also looking for the car park where Roddy gets chased during Concrete Jungle. the 2 tone trail continues... Oh shit this is area three Smile
Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:48 pm
Stevo
Too Hot

Sugarman wrote:

Now that you mention it the clip of Terry walking into a bar may not have been shot at the Precinct but somewhere close by, like Tiffany's or some local bar in the area that might be still there ? the said clip isn't on youtube that's why you couldn't find it.

I'm also looking for the car park where Roddy gets chased during Concrete Jungle. the 2 tone trail continues... Oh shit this is area three Smile

Hope it doesn't read as if I'm trying to shoot you down at every attempt or trying to look smart, I'm just trying to pass on my knowledge of my hometown to you.........
Tiffany's was in the precinct, you would have no doubt if he had walked into that club (in the vid you posted it can be seen quite clearly at one point, I'll post the time the entrance appears after I've watched it again). As I said, all the bars of the period, apart from maybe the Cov Climax which is now ironically a strip joint, have (appropriately) been closed down........
The same kinda goes for the car parks, I think at least two have gone since the 80s. Some people say Cov City Council have reaped more destruction on my hometown than the Luftwaffe ever did. And I tend to agree....................... Confused
I've seen a clip of Blank expression where Terry is sat at a bar with a girl, but not him entering the bar. Not enough detail to suss which bar though........

www.kifaru.co.uk

PostPosted:
Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:22 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website
Stevo
Too Hot

Sugarman wrote:

The Locarno / Tiffany's appears at 1:40, 2:12 & 2:22. The library, which is what Tiffany's became is seen at 4:13.

www.kifaru.co.uk

PostPosted:
Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:33 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

No Problem Stevo I just thought I would ask thanks for your time, I'll be going to Coventry next month so I was just trying to gather any information I could before I arrive. I'm looking forward to visiting Cov Market it even has a shop called Terry's, I must take a picture of that when I'm there. thanks Smile
Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:09 pm
mrClaypole
Ska Face
Ska Face

I used to work in Coventry, if you tell me where the clip is so I can see the bar I may be able to tell you the exact location.
Another bar you may want to try that was still there (when I last visited 2 years ago), is the Dog and Trumpet on Hertford Street just around the corner from the precint going to towards the train station. That is steeped in musical and Specials history also.
PostPosted:
Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:39 am
Stevo
Too Hot

mrClaypole wrote:

Another bar you may want to try that was still there (when I last visited 2 years ago), is the Dog and Trumpet on Hertford Street just around the corner from the precint going to towards the train station. That is steeped in musical and Specials history also.

Indeed you are right, I forgot about The Dog & Trumpet. It is no longer that now, it is a Bierkeller complete with oompah band I am led to believe. Ken Brown (who ran The General Wolfe where many fledging Cov bands played & U2 and where The Selecter used to rehearse) used to run it in it's heyday, he can be seen in Rico's Jungle Music video. I used to Dj there when I was 17 & remember one night putting on War Crimes just as Stan Campbell walked in (I didn't know he was coming down the stairs, honest!) and he was kinda of squirming with embarassment at the bar...........
The clip I saw of Blank Expression did not remind me of the D&T's bar though Mr Claypole

www.kifaru.co.uk

PostPosted:
Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:07 am
mrClaypole
Ska Face
Ska Face

Stevo wrote:
mrClaypole wrote:

Indeed you are right, I forgot about The Dog & Trumpet. It is no longer that now, it is a Bierkeller complete with oompah band I am led to believe. Ken Brown (who ran The General Wolfe where many fledging Cov bands played & U2 and where The Selecter used to rehearse) used to run it in it's heyday, he can be seen in Rico's Jungle Music video. I used to Dj there when I was 17 & remember one night putting on War Crimes just as Stan Campbell walked in (I didn't know he was coming down the stairs, honest!) and he was kinda of squirming with embarassment at the bar...........
The clip I saw of Blank Expression did not remind me of the D&T's bar though Mr Claypole

a Bierkeller, oh jesus.
From my memory, most pubs in Coventry are on the outskirts of the precint and yes as its been said that alot of them have been rebranded over the years. I worked in Cov 12 years ago and even in the 2 years I was there alot of the pubs either closed or changed name. But try and find the clip so I can see it and I will try and help.
PostPosted:
Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:17 am
Stevo
Too Hot

I tried, couldn't find it. Maybe Willo or Mike might be kind enough (if they ever find time) to upload it for us?
Wink

www.kifaru.co.uk

PostPosted:
Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:22 am
Stevo
Too Hot

In the 70s & 80s there were quite a few pubs in the precinct, I can't remember them all but there at least 5, Coventry Climax, Market Tavern, Black Eagle, Penny Black & one next to Tiffany's I can't remember the name of, all long gone. Maybe some of my fellow Coventrians or even Jett Rink with his extensive knowledge of Cov even though he's from Texas could help us out?

www.kifaru.co.uk

PostPosted:
Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:29 am
Diddlysquat
Ska Face
Ska Face

The Dog and Trumpet was originaly a Bier Keller it changed it's name in 1977 to the Dog and Trumpet, When Ken Brown took it over he did a major overhall of the interior.
The Car park that Roddy is seen being chased through , if my memory serves, was actualy a walkway to the side of the Market that is no longer their, having been sacrificed to make way for a new entrance to the market from the lower preceint.
Could the pub Terry was in be the Domino bar (It is where Roddy was recruited to play in the Specials.) ,later to be Browns, run by Ken Brown..
PostPosted:
Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:18 pm
grasshopper
Ska Face
Ska Face

One shot has Terry in the lower precinct walking away from where Mr George's was I think.

No idea if its' the pub Terry was drinking in, but one pub not mentioned so far is the Three Tuns in Bull Yard, it's still there as far as I know.
PostPosted:
Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:03 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

Thanks for your help, It's a pity most if not all of those pubs are now gone even the carpark/walkway Rolling Eyes I have the clip myself but it's of little use all you can see is a woman sitting at the bar and Terry in the gents, the clip is only a few seconds long so like I said it would be of little use unless it was your local at some point in the past.

Smile
Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:03 pm