Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information The Specials Final show not so Final (BBC 6 Music)

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » The Specials  Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Sugarman
Too Hot

Post subject: The Specials Final show not so Final (BBC 6 Music) Reply with quote

Coventry ska legends do an end of the road u-turn

04/11/11

Last night (3 November) The Specials played what was set to be their last gig at London’s Alexandra Palace, but it seems the band will play on.

Only recently frontman Terry Hall had announced that after this tour they’d call it a day.

“I just don’t want to be in a band any more," he said. "I think that this is the time to say, 'Thanks very much. See you later really.' I have been doing this for over 30 years and just think it is time to go now. I am 52, and I am the youngest in the band. I don’t get much time with my family, and touring tires me out.”

However, after last night’s show it seems like splitting up is a thing of the past.

Guitarist Lynval Golding told 6 Music News: “It was a decision we took after Roddy Byers left us recently. Jerry (Dammers) had left us a few years before, so we were wondering whether it actually made sense to keep going, but now we have played this tour it seems we are in a completely different mood."

“A few months ago we were insecure and weren’t even sure if we could bear another long and tiring tour, but now it is all a different scenario.

"Seeing the people dancing right into the back of the venue made us reconsider our decision and we realised that an iconic band like The Specials shouldn’t go and leave their fans in this sad way. We thought we’d rather celebrate the last show of our tour in style," added backing vocalist Neville Staple.

When asked about a possible reunion with Jerry Dammers Neville Staple sounded positive: “You never know! He is an amazing performer and it would be great to work with him again, so maybe one day.”

There are no confirmed new dates yet, but according to Neville Staple the band is just in the process of planning new shows.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20111104_thespecials.shtml

Review

http://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music/specials-alexandra-palace-0
Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:53 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
munchkin
Stereotype

Post subject: Reply with quote

Great gig last night, boys on fire.

Am gutted to hear that Roddy is leaving. All the best to you mate, you will be missed by the fans
PostPosted:
Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:51 pm
italskarl
Ska Face
Ska Face

hmmm....Jerry back would certainly put a fresh slant on things and maybe some songs from 'In The Studio' to diverifiy the set?
Confused
PostPosted:
Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:53 pm
Fester
Too Hot

Now thats what I call Good News / Bad News.
PostPosted:
Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:04 pm
Psycho
Ska Face
Ska Face

Agh, Roddy leaving is a gutter. It definately won't be the same without him but if they want to carry on then I don't see why they shouldn't. I hope Roddy does change his mind but of course no point if he's not happy. Good luck to all of them and I hope they've all earned some decent money from this tour, they all deserve it.
PostPosted:
Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:05 pm
marigold
Too Hot

A great post thanks Sugarman Cool
Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:09 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail

I'd like to hear an official annoucement regarding Roddy.

If he has chosen to move on then I respect his decision to do so. Roddy strikes me as a dignified man with a sense of principle that he's willing to stand by while accepting the consequences of having done so.

I love the skabilly Rebels and shall be seeing them whenever they hit London.

Last night at Ally Pally was great and the performance was akin to that of 2009. In Brighton the band were visibly knackered and there was an atmosphere, this seemed somewhat resolved by Brixton where the pace really picked up, but last night they were GREAT.

It takes a big man to walk away from that, and it'll leave a massive gap if he does.
PostPosted:
Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:34 pm
Top of Page
Sugarman
Too Hot

Nanker Phelge wrote:
I'd like to hear an official annoucement regarding Roddy.

If he has chosen to move on then I respect his decision to do so. Roddy strikes me as a dignified man with a sense of principle that he's willing to stand by while accepting the consequences of having done so.

I love the skabilly Rebels and shall be seeing them whenever they hit London.

Last night at Ally Pally was great and the performance was akin to that of 2009. In Brighton the band were visibly knackered and there was an atmosphere, this seemed somewhat resolved by Brixton where the pace really picked up, but last night they were GREAT.

It takes a big man to walk away from that, and it'll leave a massive gap if he does.

I Agree with Nanker something Official is required here.
Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:50 pm
Derry Jammers
Special

Yes it would be nice to know officially. One way or the other.
PostPosted:
Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:56 pm
MIKE CORNWELL
Site Admin
Site Admin

Official or unofficial I cannot be sure,but you can read this so far

http://marcoonthebass.blogspot.com/

Crying or Very sad

www.thespecials.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/TheSpecials2Com/245413985501746
PostPosted:
Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:05 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website
kitty
Special

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:15 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

Roddy will be missed by all not just for his singing and guitar playing but for being real, mixing with the fans before and after gigs and on this Forum, we all have our good and bad days and Roddy's had his share too. The last time I spoke to Roddy was in Coventry at the Ricoh, that's what being real is all about. Neville shook my hand from the stage at the Brixton after party little things like that mean alot to fans Smile

I'll Miss You Roddy

Don't Get Angry Get Even

Paul
Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:53 pm

Both key songwriters now vacant. What can that mean for any recorded material?

I like Terry Hall's post Specials output a lot. He's a great pop writer.

The Specials without Jerry worked. Can The Specials without Roddy work?

As a friend said to me yesterday 'he has good hair, good shoes and plays a mean guitar.....what more do you want?'

Anyone know the dates fot the next Dr Feelgood tour?
PostPosted:
Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:55 pm
Top of Page
mell
Stereotype

arghhh
PostPosted:
Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:34 am
Derry Jammers
Special

Well that is a shame. He was the first member of the band I met at Brixton in 2009 and seemed a very very down to earth fella. Good luck Rod with the Skabs and in whatever else you do in the future. Sad Sad
PostPosted:
Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:30 am
Liam_Ska
Too Hot

I hope The Specials don't carry on without Roddy. I've always been really passionate about the band but I certainly won't be going to see them again if they carry on without him. They'll find him extremely hard to replace both in terms of musicianship and stage presence. His brothel creepers will be hard to fill! We've had 2 great tours now and many people have seen them who thought they never would. Ally Pally was a great gig but I hope it's their last and they go out on a high. Another tour playing the same songs but without the lead guitarist would be pointless and it doesn't bode well for new material with both Jerry and Roddy not being there. Also, I don't get why some people think Roddy's departure opens the door for Jerry. It wasn't because of Roddy that Jerry wasn't there. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to more Skabilly Rebels gigs and records and wish Roddy all the best.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TimeTunnelLondon
PostPosted:
Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:43 am
Danbert
Gangster
Gangster

Liam_Ska wrote:
I hope The Specials don't carry on without Roddy. I've always been really passionate about the band but I certainly won't be going to see them again if they carry on without him. They'll find him extremely hard to replace both in terms of musicianship and stage presence. His brothel creepers will be hard to fill! We've had 2 great tours now and many people have seen them who thought they never would. Ally Pally was a great gig but I hope it's their last and they go out on a high. Another tour playing the same songs but without the lead guitarist would be pointless and it doesn't bode well for new material with both Jerry and Roddy not being there. Also, I don't get why some people think Roddy's departure opens the door for Jerry. It wasn't because of Roddy that Jerry wasn't there. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to more Skabilly Rebels gigs and records and wish Roddy all the best.

These are my feelings too.
Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:07 am
ketteringphil
Special

I wish we had known that that was going to be Roddys last gig ( if thats to be the case),with hindsight he did look happier and in full rockin` mode than some previous shows.Would it have killed Terry to have let him sing Concrete Jungle one last time on his own though.......?
Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:42 am
dan at home
Special

I was already happy with what we'd been given and felt no need to see the revival tour anymore. Roddy leaving only confirms this for me. I dont wish the others harm but i'm with Liam on this.

i dont like the sort of piecemeal way this has been filtered to us, not talking about the forum but the band itself. thanks for the tours but without new material they are a jerry/roddy tribute band. With it they are the fun boy five. Roddy wrote concrete jungle, hey little rich girl and rat race, he was a key factor bringing rockabilly punks like me into appreciation of the band. He is still publicly defensive of the bands original political principals and to me with jerry already gone, i'm a bit confused about what i would be watching.

People who've only followed the story for the last year or so, i wouldnt give any credibility to the idea jerry was coming back from a vaguely reconiliatory comment by nev, he's always been the most pro jerry. unless terry and jerry said something dream on.

Having said that i'd listen to their any stuff and if i liked it i might go and see them but it would be a kind of diffferent band for me. been a good ride though and i wish them well!
Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:54 am
Arch
Special

Quote:
Would it have killed Terry to have let him sing Concrete Jungle one last time on his own though.

Agreed Phil!

Ally Pally was excellent and perhaps Wolverhampton were best gigs for me but still 2009 tours felt more energetic overall and certainly happier. Gut feeling tells me they should go out on a high now. I think....... Confused
Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:57 am