Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Madness to set unveil their 10th studio album at Minehead

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » Upcoming Events  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Stewart Rennie
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

Harrysgame wrote:
Stewart Rennie wrote:
Butlins Weekends...for the fat thick brigade coupled with it being Madness/ska type thing it's gonna be ugly/messy and skanky not skanking.
You would not get me anywhere near the place...as for playing there new album...well what's the plastic pork pied hat people gonna make of it all ? Baggy Trousers anyone ?

There were plenty of plastic pork pie wearers at the Ricoh arena too Stewert. At least Madness are out there making new albums.

Agreed but it was big enough to hide from some of them Wink

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Offbeat-Offensive/101697799872701
PostPosted:
Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:44 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Big ska
Special

As much as I some times think the Nutty boys have turned into a panto of themselves, they do put new stuff out, and live they are a great night out. So what more do you need Question . Will leave this one be as I hate the whole holiday camp thing. Morning campers, Just F**k off Shocked Shocked
Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:36 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
the-ska-knight
Too Hot

I dont think they've remotely become a panto.

Madness are a fun band. They never set out to be the other end of the spectrum to Thatcher's Britain. Whether or not that's what The Specials ever intended is debatable - but through their message/music/attitude (and probably mainly through a haunting number 1 single) that's certainly what they partly became.

Madness' music has always looked back at least as much to old English music hall as it ever did to Prince Buster and Jamaica, and (as much as any band I've ever loved) their music is perfectly geared towards turning Xmas lights on in shopping centres and weekends at Butlins. They've always done off the wall gigs and stuff - from remote forest locations to open top buses.

Opinions will differ - but Madness post reform stuff (Wonderful and Norton Folgate) are only topped for me by the first 2 LPs.
PostPosted:
Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:15 am
Dell
Too Hot

Madness. They release their first single on 2 Tone in 1979, their debut album follows soon after on Stiff Records, and 29 hit singles later, they are just about to issue their tenth studio album.

Another Top 5 album in 2009, constantly writing and producing new material, and still very much in demand. I rest my case, Your Worship.
Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:29 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
louis2
Gangster
Gangster

gotta say the line up for minehead apart from madness is very weak.
saw madness@reading festival this year, they were a1.
Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:47 am

Madness, for me, represent the very best in British pop music, sitting alongside the like of Ray Davies and Ian Dury.

LONF demonstrated that they remain at the top of their game in this sense. They wisely chose to take their time on that record, getting the songs right in order to produce a brilliant and whole album which was musically and lyrically as good as anything they'd ever produced.

That they never built upon that and took the album on tour was very strange choice to me. I saw them perform it at The Hackney Empire and it was a special night indeed!

Instead they reverted back to the 'greatest hits' package tour for which this weekender event represents in all the worst ways.

Again, it could have been a blinder of a weekend with lots of new and exciting acts alongside some old faves.

But, it's money they're after with this and moey they'll get.

If that pays for the recording of another great album, then so be it, but there is a clear divide appearing amongst Madness fans. Those that want new and exciting records and gigs and those that want to wear plastic hats and jump hear House of Fun over and over again.

I want great new records which go on to be performed live in smaller venues. I'll take the other option from time to time if it's all that's available, but it's not my preference.

If you really want fuck art, then don't make it in the first place!
PostPosted:
Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:50 am
Top of Page
kev
Ska Face
Ska Face

I think Madness are a great, entertaining band who have done some brilliant songs throughout their career, and some people find Butlins good for what it is. That said, marrying the two might not be the best thing in the world (might bring a great band down to the 'Bucks Fizz' and 70's glam revival weekends in the eyes of some people). To each their own I suppose but a great band like Madness could do better.
PostPosted:
Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:34 pm
Hugh
Too Hot

Hmmm, I've always considered them a fun band but not really serious musicians.
Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:05 pm
Stewart Rennie
Too Hot

kev wrote:
I think Madness are a great, entertaining band who have done some brilliant songs throughout their career, and some people find Butlins good for what it is. That said, marrying the two might not be the best thing in the world (might bring a great band down to the 'Bucks Fizz' and 70's glam revival weekends in the eyes of some people). To each their own I suppose but a great band like Madness could do better.

I totally agree.

PostPosted:
Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:39 pm
Stewart Rennie
Too Hot

louis2 wrote:

Watched Reading highlights on TV and although the place was bouncing some of the playing on some of the songs was awful !!! I would be embarrassed with the performance on some of the songs if it was me,for a group of musicans with 30 odd years in the music game it should be much better.
No pride all a bit of a laugh and nobody will notice...yeah right you are . Shocked

PostPosted:
Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:46 pm
Harrysgame
Special

Stewart Rennie wrote:
Harrysgame wrote:
Stewart Rennie wrote:
Butlins Weekends...for the fat thick brigade coupled with it being Madness/ska type thing it's gonna be ugly/messy and skanky not skanking.
You would not get me anywhere near the place...as for playing there new album...well what's the plastic pork pied hat people gonna make of it all ? Baggy Trousers anyone ?

There were plenty of plastic pork pie wearers at the Ricoh arena too Stewert. At least Madness are out there making new albums.

Agreed but it was big enough to hide from some of them Wink

True mate but they learn to find you.
PostPosted:
Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:03 am
Harrysgame
Special

Dell wrote:
Madness. They release their first single on 2 Tone in 1979, their debut album follows soon after on Stiff Records, and 29 hit singles later, they are just about to issue their tenth studio album.

Another Top 5 album in 2009, constantly writing and producing new material, and still very much in demand. I rest my case, Your Worship.

Wheres that Like button when you need it Dell. Very Happy
PostPosted:
Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:06 am
Dell
Too Hot

Harrysgame wrote:
Dell wrote:

Wheres that Like button when you need it Dell. Very Happy

Very Happy

Madness are a national treasure, my friend.
Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
caigsey
Special

typica feckin digs at the greatest band of the eighties ,kept it al going when the spareshells woud have ignored each other in the street,as for fat pork pie wearers,seen pplenty at secc for the spareshells seems things never change on here,coud i just dd though ub40were fuckin pish yet some on here have a fondness for mince like that
Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:35 pm
the-ska-knight
Too Hot

Uh-oh, better crack open the froot-shoots! Someone's put 10p in Caigsey!

You little dahhling - how the devil are you? Very Happy

Bet you still haven't got your poll-tax refunded.
PostPosted:
Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:47 pm
bigdave
Special

Stewart Rennie wrote:
louis2 wrote:

Watched Reading highlights on TV and although the place was bouncing some of the playing on some of the songs was awful !!! I would be embarrassed with the performance on some of the songs if it was me,for a group of musicans with 30 odd years in the music game it should be much better.
No pride all a bit of a laugh and nobody will notice...yeah right you are . Shocked

In the past the actual performance could be a little ragged but recently they've been superb every time I've seen them. The gig at The Royal Festival Hall earlier this year sounded superb , not a note out of place.
Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:18 am
Hugh
Too Hot

Probably best in full screen

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:14 am
Stewart Rennie
Too Hot

bigdave wrote:
Stewart Rennie wrote:
louis2 wrote:

In the past the actual performance could be a little ragged but recently they've been superb every time I've seen them. The gig at The Royal Festival Hall earlier this year sounded superb , not a note out of place.

Was Chas and Chrissy Boy missing Laughing
Still love them to pieces by the way.

PostPosted:
Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:28 pm
Stewart Rennie
Too Hot

caigsey wrote:
typica feckin digs at the greatest band of the eighties ,kept it al going when the spareshells woud have ignored each other in the street,as for fat pork pie wearers,seen pplenty at secc for the spareshells seems things never change on here,coud i just dd though ub40were fuckin pish yet some on here have a fondness for mince like that

Gawn yerself big man !!!! Very Happy

I was on the barrier so never saw any of them,what a gig though ? as for ub40 there must be the most succesful covers band ever.

PostPosted:
Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:31 pm
suggsnutty
Ska Face
Ska Face

Looking forward to this now Very Happy ! The Friday night as its the new album, the songs I have heard so far are great...

http://youtu.be/PNxRjKWY4Kg
Then the Sat should be fun with the hits,

The best of both I suppose!!
as for the butlins camp at least I wont need to get a taxi or train we can have a few more drinks then on stagger back to the chalet Laughing
Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:19 pm