Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Which is your favourite Madness album?

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music  Goto page Previous  1, 2 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought it strange that 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die only had the one Madness album in it, and that was Rise and Fall. "A concept album of sorts...the downbeat title track opened the album on a gritty note, frontman Suggs recalling his childhood in rundown Liverpool. Elsewhere the lyrics tackled sinister underground cartels, blustering politicians, and alienated voyeurism. The hallucinatory whole conjured a vivid portrait of England equal to The Village Green Preservation Society by The Kinks.

I had not listened to OSB in some time until the reissued cds were released and it was great hearing tracks like Believe Me and In the Middle of the Night again.

I just love One Better Day so much that I will always have a soft spot for Keep Moving.

And they did excel themselves with The Liberty of Norton Folgate. Madness have never simply churned out a tried and tested formula like some bands but have constantly added new elements and ideas.

However I do think Absolutely is hard to fault and even now they still play some of the album tracks at gigs. This gets my vote.
PostPosted:
Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:53 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message

Absolutely did mark a turning point for Madness as writers....the song quality really was very high on that record.....that was when they got to the nitty gritty of writing great anglo-pop music that still stands side by side with great british tunes from the 60s.....like the kinks etc....

They still astound me today. They remain a constant in embracing and representig the sentimental core of working class love and woe...all wilful want and desire coupled with the daydreams pushed down by the reality.....and they've developed a sense of history and perspective too....which informed Folgate thoroughly and showed they were boys beyond camden town...carrying all of London with them.
PostPosted:
Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:56 pm
Top of Page
prende
Gangster
Gangster

Mr. Green
The first 3 albums would be my favourites, although to me MADNESS have always produced very good albums. I,ve grown up listening to them, and they are like a good bottle of plonk .. getting better with age !!
I,m really looking forward to the new album, and i can,t wait for me and the missus to see them in Dublin next month.

" FUCK ART, LETS DANCE"
PostPosted:
Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:14 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Harry
Too Hot

I always saw them as a singles band rather than an albums band.
I suppose if you took half of Keep Moving and half of Mad Not Mad you'd get a really great record but in my opinion it still wouldn't be as good as Complete Madness
Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:29 pm
poshfangaz
Ska Face
Ska Face

Harry wrote:
I suppose if you took half of Keep Moving and half of Mad Not Mad you'd get a really great record but in my opinion it still wouldn't be as good as Complete Madness

Yeah exactly, you get the impression with bands that are really singles bands that an album is something they are expected to do rather than something they probably want to do.
PostPosted:
Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:27 pm
Hugh
Too Hot

McPherson/Barson
Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:37 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
bigdave
Special

As it was the 1st album I ever bought One Step Beyond has massive sentimental affection however I think Norton Folgate was a masterpiece. It's easily the most listened too on my iPod. I'm really looking forward to the new one ( apart from the weird title) , the new tracks I've heard so far sound excellent
Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:39 am
Graham
Too Hot

Harry wrote:

I feel exactly the opposite from yourself Harry, listen to all of the albums, and when the singles come on, I skip them, apart from the very few (One Better Day, Michael Caine being 2 that stick).

Horses for courses though.
Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:58 am
StevieB
Special

Hugh wrote:

McPherson/Barson

One of your best posts Hugh
Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:27 pm

I'm listening to Rise and Fall.

It doesn't sit together well....some great songs.....

....they got better at this kind of record.

Keep Moving was much better.

Norton Folgate finally nailed it.
PostPosted:
Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:00 pm
Top of Page
PaulN
Ska Face
Ska Face

The first and the last for me , as soon as I heard OSB I was hooked and have loved the band ever since , then when I heard LONF for the first time it reminded me of the complete blown awayness that I felt all those years ago when I first played OSB .
PostPosted:
Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:28 pm
french toast
Ska Face
Ska Face

I honestly don't think they've made a bad album,my top three are Absolutely,Keep Moving and Rise and Fall.
Union have done a magnificent job on the reissued discs with some excellent bonus material,Tomorrow's Just Another Day with Elvis Costello on vocals is a particular favourite.
Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:06 pm
peteonthebeat
Ska Face
Ska Face

Close call over at the poll at the moment. Thanks for all the participants so far.
PostPosted:
Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:25 am
dubweiser
Stereotype

It's hard to choose between One Step Beyond and Absolutely. Maybe just Absolutely - I started my high school aged 13 in September 1980 and that was basically their new album (at that time). Probably weren't many people in my year at school who didn't own it! Brings back a lot of good memories of growing up with a style of music you've just discovered (or something like that). Plus the promo vids for Baggy Trousers and Embarrassment remind me of numerous TOTPs.

I though OSB was great when I first heard it and still do. I just think Absolutely shades it. They'd moved on from a straight ska sound to writing great British pop songs, though still with some ska influences. There are various album only tracks which would have made good singles - E.R.N.I.E., On The Beat Pete, Not Home Today to name but three.
Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:33 pm
Imani
Too Hot

Either Absolutely or Liberty.
PostPosted:
Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:14 pm
DexRudy
Rudie
Rudie

One Step and Absolutely, played both LP's to death at the time, OSB got me hooked but Absolutely just shades it.
Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:28 pm
Imani
Too Hot

Changed my mind... One Step Beyond and Liberty.
PostPosted:
Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:04 pm
2Tone Ted from Teddington
Gangster
Gangster

I had a day at home to decorate the kitchen last week and played each album in chronological order. Could I pick a favourite? Of course not, every album is of it's time and evoke feelings of my life at the time they came out. Every one has its fair share of classics and most have a turkey or two but each album is a joy to listen to. A highly productive use of eight hours or so and the kitchen looked nice too Laughing
PostPosted:
Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:30 pm
bluearmy78
Gangster
Gangster

Each album has its place for me. All bring back memories of what I was doing when they came out. Absolutely is a great album,I like Keep moving too,maybe because of One better day,which I think is a really underated Madness single.
Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:45 pm