Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Nev plus Kate Bush

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » Neville Staple   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Harry
Too Hot

Post subject: Nev plus Kate Bush Reply with quote

Kate Bush seems to be enjoying a bit of a comeback at the moment.
It's interesting seeing her sing "Let It Be" produced by Stock, Faceache & Watemellon way back in 1987...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeD0YwEQ_iU
Nev can be seen singing and dancing with 2 of the Bananarama girls around about 4 minutes 20 seconds
Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:53 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
mangeire
Gangster
Gangster

Post subject: Reply with quote

Heheh, looks like he's enjoying himself. I never remembered Nev being involved in Ferry Aid
PostPosted:
Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:14 pm
Fester
Too Hot

87 sure was a dodgy year for music. Spotted Simon Bates in that mob, plus Pepsi & Shirlie, Nick Kershaw, Paul King, Mel & Kim, the lad from Hot Chocolate, Nick Kamen off the Levis Ad, and a load of other people I wish I had not remembered. Very Happy
PostPosted:
Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:47 pm
Harry
Too Hot

Fester wrote:
87 sure was a dodgy year for music. Spotted Simon Bates in that mob, plus Pepsi & Shirlie, Nick Kershaw, Paul King, Mel & Kim, the lad from Hot Chocolate, Nick Kamen off the Levis Ad, and a load of other people I wish I had not remembered. Very Happy

Oh I don't know... 1987 was probably a better year than 2014 ... I think both Errol Brown and Leee John are very talented writer/performers and both very original. I love Chris Difford & Glenn Tilbrook of Squeeze. Ruby Turner, Edwin Starr, Boy George and Andy Bell are good at what they do. I think Garry Bushell organised it which explains why you have 3 page three girls, 2 women from Hi De Hi, Nasty Nick from Eastenders, Anne Diamond and a couple of The Nolans mixed in with Maxi Priest, Nev and Jimmy Pursey!

I wonder who got on with who that day?
Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:53 pm
chemode
Too Hot

That really is / was awful. Cool
Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:04 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
Sugarman
Too Hot

Sorry I couldn't resist Smile I also spotted Annie Ruddock (Amazulu) Smile

Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:13 pm
Harry
Too Hot

According to Wiki the group Working Week were involved - members of that band are now in Jerry's Orchestra - it's a small world
Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:04 pm
mangeire
Gangster
Gangster

I always associated Working Week with the Special AKA at the time, both introduced me to other styles of music that I wasn't familar with but have stuck with me since...latin jazz etc. Working Week had some great tracks like Venceremos, South Africa and I Thought I'd Never See You Again but then also some average soul influenced stuff which was obviously commercially driven. I first saw Jerry Dammers DJ in 1987 at Club Sandino in Dublin. It was a club that played 'world music' with proceeds going to Nicaraguan support groups. I remember Simon Booth from Working Week DJ-ed at the same club a week or two later, both seemed to be doing the same circuit. Do you know if it's him that's in the Spatial AKA, Harry?
PostPosted:
Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:28 am
Harry
Too Hot

Hi, Larry Stabbins is the guy I was thinking of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Stabbins
It says he released a solo album which features members of the orchestra.
I think he got a rave review for it in The London Evening Standard Newspaper recently
Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:09 am
Fester
Too Hot

Simon Booth has his own band, Afro Celt Sound System, plus does a lot of folk music / World Music type stuff on the side. Always interesting stuff, Paul Weller was involved if my old brain aint playing tricks on me. Maybe that was a dream.

Embarassed
PostPosted:
Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:10 pm
wally
Ska Face
Ska Face

mangeire wrote:
I always associated Working Week with the Special AKA at the time, both introduced me to other styles of music that I wasn't familar with but have stuck with me since...latin jazz etc. Working Week had some great tracks like Venceremos, South Africa and I Thought I'd Never See You Again but then also some average soul influenced stuff which was obviously commercially driven. I first saw Jerry Dammers DJ in 1987 at Club Sandino in Dublin. It was a club that played 'world music' with proceeds going to Nicaraguan support groups. I remember Simon Booth from Working Week DJ-ed at the same club a week or two later, both seemed to be doing the same circuit. Do you know if it's him that's in the Spatial AKA, Harry?

Me too mangeire! Even Matt Bianco, whose 'Half a Minute' I'm still very fond of, helped introduce me to Latin Jazz as a teenager. Working Week I only knew from the Absolute Beginners' soundtrack, and I also first saw Dammers at the Sandino gig in McGonagles in '87, used to have the poster on my wall...
Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:39 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Sugarman
Too Hot

wally wrote:
mangeire wrote:

Me too mangeire! Even Matt Bianco, whose 'Half a Minute' I'm still very fond of, helped introduce me to Latin Jazz as a teenager. Working Week I only knew from the Absolute Beginners' soundtrack, and I also first saw Dammers at the Sandino gig in McGonagles in '87, used to have the poster on my wall...

I never really heard anything by Working Week at the time but I did like The Style Council, Sade, Matt Bianco, Fine Young Cannibals and Stan Campbell, thanks to The Special AKA Play at home documentary.

I was also at McGonagles 1987 Smile
Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:53 am
kennybacon
Special

Not the only time that Nev has played with Bush.

I'll get my coat Embarassed
Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:55 pm
Fester
Too Hot

Fine Young Cannibals & Matt Bianco weren't great mates

http://youtu.be/yu5RW3C2_mM
PostPosted:
Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:32 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

I heard Fine Young Cannibals got very drunk in the bar before the awards and decided to play a joke on Matt Bianco but obviously he didn't find it very funny? Smile
Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:11 am
Imani
Too Hot

For a good cause - but apart from 'Starvation' by the 2 tone allstars which was a great record in its own right, so many charity records sound like that old Coca Cola advert.

On the jazz theme, yes it was interesting to hear at that time. I especially liked 'Paris Match' by The Style Council and Maureen by Sade.
PostPosted:
Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm