Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Dublin 03/11/14

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » 2014 Tour   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Fester
Too Hot

Post subject: Dublin 03/11/14 Reply with quote

Great performance by the lads last night.

Tech / sound gremlins all ironed out, Terry in top form (maybe up to 6 quips including "put em away love" to a large chap in front row), Lynval as happy as I have ever seen him, skipping around the stage like a mad man.

Brad and Horace solid as ever in the meat & potatoes department as was Nik (and the mellotron tube thing is really cool to watch).

"Sir" Steve Craddock as Lynval has knighted him - I have to say was exceptional and that is no intended sleight to Roddy but Steve put his own personality and spin in to his guitar parts while keeping true to the originals. He is some player. Was it just me or was he looking around at the rest of the band as if he couldn't believe his luck?

Strings & Horn sections really enhanced the night, Tim in particular top class.

What impressed me most was the pace of the set, a roller coaster ride, started with Ghost Town then built up and then slowed down before building up again .... excellent sequencing whoever was responsible.

One minor quibble as an anorak I thought name checking Roddy in the "Who the Hell are You" part of Jet Set was a bit petty and childish, unnecessary on Terrys part. Not that I know any of the in's and out's but it struck me as a bit snidey. Lots of fans still love old Rod you know.

Still a 10/10 performance for me ... how far away is Belfast again? Very Happy
PostPosted:
Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:53 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Trojan
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

So what did the new material sound like?

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:34 am
ddub
Ska Face
Ska Face

A great gig last night.the sound was perfect ant the boys were up for it 100%.I have to say before the gig i felt this may be a bit if a come down from previous gigs by the specials but i was wrong,from the opening song the boys were fired up and never stopped, shit even terry seemed to be enjoying it Very Happy
Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:56 am
RobSkaman
Gangster
Gangster

Cheers for the review, cant wait for the gig later, Ulster Hall here we come.
Very Happy
PostPosted:
Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:38 am
dadski
Ska Face
Ska Face

Post subject: New Stuff?? Reply with quote

Trojan, They are doing new stuff??? Really???? didn't know that , but I guess for 44 quid a throw it is to be expected?.
PostPosted:
Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:35 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

Post subject: Re: New Stuff?? Reply with quote

dadski wrote:
Trojan, They are doing new stuff??? Really???? didn't know that , but I guess for 44 quid a throw it is to be expected?.

I think all that you can expect is to be 44 notes less well off.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:04 pm
PollyTheWasp
Ska Face
Ska Face

Shame to hear Terry was snidey about Roddy. He's managed to go six years without slagging Jerry, so I don't think there was any need for that. Disappointing.
PostPosted:
Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:39 pm
Fester
Too Hot

Not strictly true as I have seen 4 or 5 occasions where Jerrys name was dropped into the same segment of Jet Set over the last 5 years. No need to do it. Still a fucking top band with 4 x Specials so no need to diss ex-members.
PostPosted:
Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:46 pm
prende
Gangster
Gangster

Mr. Green

Glad you enjoyed it Fester.. Didn't travel this time, not with Roddy gone from the set up as well on this tour, not for me.
Pity to hear Roddy getting slagged, met him on a few occasions before and after gigs, during the last few years ..
always a pure gent and top bloke
Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:03 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
prende
Gangster
Gangster

Mr. Green

Glad you enjoyed it Fester.. Didn't travel this time, not with Roddy gone from the set up as well on this tour, not for me.
Pity to hear Roddy getting slagged, met him on a few occasions before and after gigs, during the last few years ..
always a pure gent and top bloke
Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:04 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Sugarman
Too Hot

I'm sorry but I really missed Roddy and Neville Crying or Very sad

I met Lynval, Horace and Nik for a few minutes before and after the show, I also met Matt from Dead 60s all very nice people Smile

The Specials at The Olympia Theatre – Review and Pictures

“You look amazing and some have you even made an effort,” is Terry Hall’s deadpan greeting to a very enthusiastic Dublin crowd after Ghost Town had opened proceedings in The Olympia with it’s quirky sci-fi licks being traded between brass and string sections. The delirious crowd didn’t seem to pick up on his sarcastic tone though. They were just intent on dancing in the aisles to some of ska’s finest tunes and dance they did, moshing up the front in a manner that was maybe unbecoming of some people of that age and dancing in the aisles of the balconies. But hey, what harm. These people were out to enjoy themselves on a cold Monday night and what better way to do that than to The Specials’ back catalogue?

Hall does come across as a bit of a jaded, grumpy old man but some of his one liners tonight are quite entertaining and add a nice counter-balance to guitarist Lynval Golding’s more frantic stage manner. It’s left to these two to lead proceedings these days, with Neville Staple having once again departed the group. While Staple’s toasting is missed, the band still deliver a solid set that goes down well with the sold out crowd. Also missing is lead guitarist Roddy Radiation, with his place being taken by Steve Craddock from Ocean Colour Scene. An unusual choice maybe but Craddock acquits himself well and adds something interesting to the band’s sound, notably with a roaring flange-assisted solo on Concrete Jungle and some rock-god riffery under the spotlight during Rat Race, a song so good that even Terry seemed to enjoy it. Lynval also seems quite enamoured with Craddock, repeatedly telling the crowd how happy he is to be playing with him and dubbing him ‘Sir Steve’. Craddock edges ever further back from the front of the stage during these tributes looking embarrassed, knowing that he’s the one that should be indulging in the Wayne’s World style ‘we’re not worthies’ rather than the other way round.

Concrete Jungle comes after knockout one-two of Gangsters, featuring John Bradbury’s glorious rolling drum licks, and a rabble rousing Monkey Man. With a back catalogue of such quality and a room full of hardcore dedicated fans, this gig couldn’t really fail. All the big guns are brought out over the course of the evening. Nightclub showcases Horace Panter’s slap bass skills and Hall jokingly throws in a bit of Do Ya Think I’m Sexy? at the end. It doesn’t quite fit but it’s fun all the same.

There’s possibly more subversive humour on show before Pearl’s Cafe. ‘Water, you can’t live without it,” declares Hall before launching into a song that includes the refrain ‘It’s all a load of bollocks’. Does Terry have his finger on the pulse of the Irish Water debacle or is it just a happy coincidence? We prefer to believe the former even if it is probably the latter.

The main set is closed with the mass singalong of A Message To You Rudy and Too Much Too Young before the band leave the stage and a football style chant of ‘Specials, Specials’ brings the band back out for Lynval to the Mariachi mayhem of Guns of Navarone, a song that Terry tells the crowd he loves when he reemerges because, “It gives me the chance to masturbate backstage.”

Alright Terry steady on. It was a good gig; but orgasmic? That’s maybe taking things a bit far.

http://thethinair.net/2014/11/the-specials-olympia-theatre-dublin/
Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:19 pm