PostPosted:
Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:26 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
done donald
Ska Face
Ska Face

Post subject: Reply with quote

mangeire wrote:
The Madness single is disappointing for the price, don't see the point of the 'Toy Theatre', it has the Madness 'M' on it but otherwise relates very little to the band

Hi Ronan

Hope you enjoyed the remainder of the Ska festival, that afternoon in The Barfly was superb. Good to meet you and put a face to a name.

I remember getting an old XTC single (No Thugs In Our House') in Good Vibrations years ago with a theatre sleeve including cut out characters etc. That cost me a princely 10p. That was good value - £17 for this Madness release probably isn't, but we're all addicted to collecting everything they release so we'll buy it.

Jim
It’s A Wonderful Life. It’s a wonderful film, but the more I watch it the more I want Potter to succeed. Not least when that lot up the road come out into the street every New Year’s Eve, drunk on Ptolemy’s hock, hugging each other and going “Hee-haw, hee-haw”…
PostPosted:
Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 pm
done donald
Ska Face
Ska Face

Just got The Beat box set. Beautiful item, but have any of you got a miss-pressed label on Mirror In The Bathroom / Jackpot. Mine has a Jackpot label on both sides. Haven't played it so I don't know what songs play.

Ronan - I agree about the Madness single - the pop up theatre is kind of pointless. I got it thanks to Harry for £17 in Belfast and as a completist I'm glad I got it, but the Beat package is far superior and a fiver per single it's much better value.

Jim
It’s A Wonderful Life. It’s a wonderful film, but the more I watch it the more I want Potter to succeed. Not least when that lot up the road come out into the street every New Year’s Eve, drunk on Ptolemy’s hock, hugging each other and going “Hee-haw, hee-haw”…
PostPosted:
Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:08 pm
Ben Williams
Ska Face
Ska Face

Post subject: The Beat Boxset. Reply with quote

I have just got a copy of The Beat singles box set for £69.99 from Record Corner in Godalming Surrey. He has two copies left and his phone number is 01483 422006. Cool
Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:52 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Trojan
Too Hot

It would be nice if both bands and record labels would release material which is unique to Record Store Day instead of following the tried and tested record company route of releasing the same material on just about every format conceivable. Last year Never Mind the Bollocks was released as 7inch single box set and this year say it released as a picture disc and The Beat’s record company have already released the bands singles over various CD compilations and re-issues. Do we really need them again?

Hat’s off to the Specials (or should I say Jerry Dammers) for last year’s release. It went some way in making up for the half arsed effort of the previous year’s release which was chucked out under the name of 'The Specials'.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:36 am
kennybacon
Special

Trojan wrote:
It would be nice if both bands and record labels would release material which is unique to Record Store Day instead of following the tried and tested record company route of releasing the same material on just about every format conceivable. Last year Never Mind the Bollocks was released as 7inch single box set and this year say it released as a picture disc and The Beat’s record company have already released the bands singles over various CD compilations and re-issues. Do we really need them again?

Hat’s off to the Specials (or should I say Jerry Dammers) for last year’s release. It went some way in making up for the half arsed effort of the previous year’s release which was chucked out under the name of 'The Specials'.

I am just glad that I got out of the habit of needing to own every different copy of certain bands (Specials, Madness, The Beat, The Selecter, Bad Manners) records quite a few years ago, because it is such an expensive hobby/ habit.
I am more of an audiophile these days, I still want to have a copy of every different version of a song, but am not fussed about re issues of the same material in a new sleeve/ label etc, because it is a bit of a piss take and record labels/ bands certainly prey on those that do feel obliged to purchase each re issue of old stuff.
Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:39 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

kennybacon wrote:
Trojan wrote:

I am just glad that I got out of the habit of needing to own every different copy of certain bands (Specials, Madness, The Beat, The Selecter, Bad Manners) records quite a few years ago, because it is such an expensive hobby/ habit.
I am more of an audiophile these days, I still want to have a copy of every different version of a song, but am not fussed about re issues of the same material in a new sleeve/ label etc, because it is a bit of a piss take and record labels/ bands certainly prey on those that do feel obliged to purchase each re issue of old stuff.

I think the term piss take is as good as any to describe what is going on here. For the money this box set is going for I think it would be quite easy to pick up the original singles, which for me, because of their age, would have much more worth in terms of collectable value.

Give me a thirty year old piece of vinyl in mint condition over some repackage piece of record company fodder any day.

PostPosted:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:49 pm
done donald
Ska Face
Ska Face

Trojan wrote:
kennybacon wrote:
Trojan wrote:

I think the term piss take is as good as any to describe what is going on here. For the money this box set is going for I think it would be quite easy to pick up the original singles, which for me, because of their age, would have much more worth in terms of collectable value.

Give me a thirty year old piece of vinyl in mint condition over some repackage piece of record company fodder any day.

I got The Beat box set, and was happy to pay the price that it was going for, for others it may have been seen as irrelevant or not worth stumping up for. That said, as I was buying it my thoughts were that Edsel have now milked the cow dry. If next year they produce a box set of The Beat 12" mixes I'll be giving it a miss.

I agree about last years RSD release from The Specials / JD - and then you look at the current re-release Specials / Special AKA packages and wonder about the possible additional tracks that could have been added for the dedicated fans who buy these things - and this was also put together by JD. Those I have avoided because they don't interest me.

It's all about choices I suppose...

Jim
PostPosted:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:44 pm
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

done donald wrote:
Just got The Beat box set. Beautiful item, but have any of you got a miss-pressed label on Mirror In The Bathroom / Jackpot. Mine has a Jackpot label on both sides. Haven't played it so I don't know what songs play.

Jim

Jim

I have Mirror In The Bathroom as the A side label, so they have not all been mispressed.

Trojan

RSD does seem to have a lot of bad points -

- not all independent record shops get to sell the product (which kind of defeats the purpose)

- the main focus is on repackaged versions of previous releases

- the limited runs of some releases make it difficult, if not impossible, to ensure you have a full collection of your favourite artists

- the approach rewards speculators who put the items on ebay at extortionate prices.

But despite the amount of Beat re-releases in recent times, I think this box set was really well put together and a decent price.

I do agree that picking up the originals would be a better choice...
PostPosted:
Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:45 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

Good points, Harry. Record Store Day has very little to do with supporting independant record stores or to quote the RSD web site 'one day that all of the independently owned record stores come together with artists to celebrate the art of music' . It comes across as just another avenue for the records companies to flog their back catalogue.

PostPosted:
Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:04 am
Sugarman
Too Hot

Trojan wrote:
kennybacon wrote:
Trojan wrote:

I agree with you Trojan, If I needed better copies of the original 7" singles I wouldn't buy the new Box set I would prefer to own the original first pressings.

The box set is only for diehard Beat fans, I am a completist so I have to buy everything released Smile

All these reissues are great but they will never be as good as the original pressings Smile
Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:49 pm
Derry Jammers
Special

Like sugarman I will buy most stuff as I am a completist although I didnt buy on the day this year and have waited until this weekend just passed to get the Madness Beat and Spaceape releases. Much as I enthused when I originally saw the Madness single announced it now seems a bit pointless to me to be honest. Pop-Up Toy Theatre? The Beat set is a nice collection but enough has been squeezed from them by Edsel now surely. Far and away the best RSD release for me so far was last years Specials Dub Mixes 7". Unheard material is what I want not rehashes and repackages.
PostPosted:
Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:45 pm
suchcl
Rudie
Rudie

If anyone still wants this whatrecords.co.uk have copies at £39.99 although the postage is £8. Still makes it less than I paid!
Fri May 01, 2015 1:53 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

I spoke with a record shop owner today and asked him if he took part Record Store Day. After he stopped laughing he then proceeded to tell me that in order to participate record shop owners had to pay an £800 subscription fee and even then there was no guarantee that they would get all or even any of the items ordered.

I'm sure RSD started out with the best intentions but now it all seems like one more record company con.

PostPosted:
Fri May 01, 2015 4:42 pm
Halfy
Special

Picked up mine from the gig. Really impressed with the packaging. Plus management gave me a discount for having Beat Girl tattoos Very Happy
Mon May 18, 2015 8:02 am
Sugarman
Too Hot

I see the Beat 7" Box Set is only £50 on-line, I have lost faith in Record store day, It's all a load of B***** Rolling Eyes

Looking back over the last few years, only Sock it to em JB (Dub) made any sense? Smile the Madness single was nice but was way overpriced?

http://thebeatofficial.bigcartel.com/product/the-7-singles-collection-limited-edition-vinyl-collection
Mon May 18, 2015 1:58 pm
Halfy
Special

Knocking them out at £50 at the gig too. That's some discount Shocked
Tue May 19, 2015 7:51 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Sugarman wrote:
I see the Beat 7" Box Set is only £50 on-line, I have lost faith in Record store day, It's all a load of B***** Rolling Eyes

Looking back over the last few years, only Sock it to em JB (Dub) made any sense? Smile the Madness single was nice but was way overpriced?

http://thebeatofficial.bigcartel.com/product/the-7-singles-collection-limited-edition-vinyl-collection

I have seen it online for less than £50.

Record Store Day is just another record company con.

What no doubt began as an idea with the best of intentions soon became just another avenue for record company greed. And worst of all, it looks like quite a few bands were complicit in it.

"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

PostPosted:
Tue May 19, 2015 8:34 am
kennybacon
Special

Isn't it the case with most things tough, when something is new it is top priced, then after the initial glut of interest the price drops to sell off remaining stock.
In the case of records, when the stock becomes scarce the price then goes up again.

I'm not defending RSD as I think most items available are overpriced re issues in the first place.
Tue May 19, 2015 3:46 pm