Information Joe Strummer

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Chat  Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Shan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject: Joe Strummer Reply with quote

Would have been his birthday today. A legend & huge influence on so many of us Smile
Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:51 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Trojan
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t say I’m huge fan of The Clash. Their first album was great, but they also put out a load of drivel. Sandinista is just bloated and self-indulgent, while cut Cut the Crap is…well…just crap.

John Lydon once said that Joe Strummer came across as someone who read a lot of political books which he really didn’t understand, which I think is a fair enough assessment.

Still, he was a great front man and it’s always a shame when someone dies so young.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:17 pm
loughers
Ska Face
Ska Face

Trojan wrote:
I can’t say I’m huge fan of The Clash. Their first album was great, but they also put out a load of drivel. Sandinista is just bloated and self-indulgent, while cut Cut the Crap is…well…just crap.

John Lydon once said that Joe Strummer came across as someone who read a lot of political books which he really didn’t understand, which I think is a fair enough assessment.

Still, he was a great front man and it’s always a shame when someone dies so young.

Agreed - not to speak ill, but his reputation certainly wasn't tarnished by passing away before his time.

Always thought of the Clash as a hairs breadth from a U2 type outfit towards the end.

John Lydon will always be the beacon from my more punky days, along with Poly Styrene, Pete Shelley, Paul Weller and the likes.
PostPosted:
Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:05 pm
Fun Boy
Stereotype

Strummer was 10 years older than me so in 77 he seemed really old, though he wasn’t that old really. I think hopping on the punk thing was his last chance at fame and he knew it. He and Mick Jones should have been honest in 76/77 about how much they wanted to be rock stars. For me the story and mythology of the Clash is more interesting than the music but there is a handful of tracks I love. In the period 77-79 they got more music press coverage than any other band. The book ‘Last Gang in Town’ by Marcus Gray is brilliant apart from the forensic detail he goes into about what each member did when The Clash finished. If there had been no Clash maybe no Specials either.
PostPosted:
Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:25 pm
Harry
Too Hot

Fun Boy wrote:
If there had been no Clash maybe no Specials either.

There were several people like John Peel of whom it could be said - they gave The Specials their big break.
Jerry wrote Gangsters on Joe's guitar and (I think) Lynval has dedicated awards to Strummer so definitely Joe is the Top 5 of the people who helped The Specials make it big.
Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:41 pm
bluearmy78
Gangster
Gangster

The Clash have always had this myth about them. I do agree with another poster that the music isnt as good as its cracked up to be. They did produce some great tracks dont get me wrong. But the London calling album I feel is remembered more for its iconic cover than some of the songs on it. As for Sandinista its just a very drawn out dull affair for the most part. Cut the crap minus Mick Jones was crap. Having said all this they are still a very influential band even for some of the groups of today.
Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:48 am
Trojan
Too Hot

bluearmy78 wrote:
The Clash have always had this myth about them. I do agree with another poster that the music isnt as good as its cracked up to be. They did produce some great tracks dont get me wrong. But the London calling album I feel is remembered more for its iconic cover than some of the songs on it. As for Sandinista its just a very drawn out dull affair for the most part. Cut the crap minus Mick Jones was crap. Having said all this they are still a very influential band even for some of the groups of today.

I too wouldn't deny the influence of The Clash, I would however question the question the substance behind them. A great front man, but take away all the duff material they recorded they had perhaps a total of 2 good long players worth of quality songs throughout their career.

London Calling sums the band up perfectly. Great presentation (even though the sleeve is based on Elvis Presley's first album!), but only a handful of good tracks to back it up.

PostPosted:
Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:21 am
the-ska-knight
Too Hot

I would disagree strongly about London Calling not being great.

Taking the original album, the first 3 sides are nothing short of exceptional. Faultless musical gold. It's not the 100 miles an hour, angry explosion of the previous records - it's almost mature in comparison, but it's songwriting straight from the top drawer.

Side 4 was always harder to get into, and in its original vinyl form, I never really did. I don't however think there's a single second of filler on sides 1, 2 or 3. I've come to appreciate what was originally side 4 in later life a little bit more, maybe.

It's a towering work of great beauty to my ears Smile
PostPosted:
Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:41 pm
appyammer
Gangster
Gangster

I'm a bit "meh" about London Calling now. In fact only "The Clash" would be on my desert island albums. From London calling:

London Calling
Jimmy Jazz
Wrong 'Em Boyo (a cover)
Rudie Can't Fail
Revolution Rock (a cover)

Could happily not listen to the rest - don't annoy me but have lost a lot of appeal over the years....especially recently, just sounds dated.

Each to their own of course, but I think there is a lot more chaff than wheat.....and I used to love it even up to a year or two ago.
PostPosted:
Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:21 pm
the-ska-knight
Too Hot

I think the first album was superb too, and the second is also (although not as much as either The Clash or London Calling).

Sandinista is often great but not always perfect.

Combat Rock is commercial but still very listenable.

Cut The Crap is (as Trojan said) crap (although I do love This Is England).

It's the first 4 albums for which they should be remembered. Forever. Although they're probably the most critically acclaimed of the punk bands, they're still not without their critics; middle class, arty, pretentious blah blah blah - personally I've no time for any of those arguments Smile

But despite everything I've just said - they're still not as good as The Damned!
PostPosted:
Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:32 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

the-ska-knight wrote:

But despite everything I've just said - they're still not as good as The Damned!

If you want loud blaring punk rock, with absolutely zero pretence, then the early stuff by The Damned is hard to beat.

PostPosted:
Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:47 pm
Fester
Too Hot

For me Paul Simonon was always the cool one in the Clash Very Happy
PostPosted:
Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:30 pm
Paul Willo
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like The Clash but not all sets the world alight and doing Specialized 4 ,The Clash as its theme, has been great to see what people do with their versions. Something im very sure Joe would like to hear and incidentally we have a member of The Damned on the album ( playing with a Special).
www.theskapones.co.uk

www.youtube.com/paulska67

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/TheSpecials2Com/245413985501746

www.roddyradiation.com

PostPosted:
Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:15 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
appyammer
Gangster
Gangster

Paul Willo wrote:
I like The Clash but not all sets the world alight and doing Specialized 4 ,The Clash as its theme, has been great to see what people do with their versions. Something im very sure Joe would like to hear and incidentally we have a member of The Damned on the album ( playing with a Special).

Blimey how have I missed this - just ordered Paul - looks fantastic
PostPosted:
Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:43 pm
PollyTheWasp
Ska Face
Ska Face

Can't believe I'm reading Clash slating on a Specials forum!

Some of their achievements:

- Defining the sound of punk rock, as opposed to the pseudo-metal dirge of the Pistols, or the how-fast-can-we-go of early Damned. Later punk bands sounded like the Clash, not any of the other pioneers;

- Completing the connection of reggae to punk, by actually playing some;

- Getting rid of punk snobbery, by embracing other genres;

- Breaking the connection between punk and fascism, started by the swastika-wearers;

I think some of you might have forgotten what it was like when you first heard White Riot. Yeah, some tunes sound dated, but that's cos they are!
PostPosted:
Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:43 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

PollyTheWasp wrote:
Can't believe I'm reading Clash slating on a Specials forum!

Some of their achievements:

- Defining the sound of punk rock, as opposed to the pseudo-metal dirge of the Pistols, or the how-fast-can-we-go of early Damned. Later punk bands sounded like the Clash, not any of the other pioneers;

- Completing the connection of reggae to punk, by actually playing some;

- Getting rid of punk snobbery, by embracing other genres;

- Breaking the connection between punk and fascism, started by the swastika-wearers;

I think some of you might have forgotten what it was like when you first heard White Riot. Yeah, some tunes sound dated, but that's cos they are!

Yes, but they weren't really that good. Of to a flying start and then downhill from there. Overrated is the word which springs to mind.

PS

Give me the Pistols over The Clash any day.

PostPosted:
Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:55 pm
bluearmy78
Gangster
Gangster

l agree The Pistols every day over The Clash. Some of The Clash stuff just wasnt very good. Simples. Smile
Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:10 pm
Hugh
Too Hot

Can't say that John Lydon is an intellectual hero, except to the more simple.
Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:24 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Trojan
Too Hot

Hugh wrote:

For all of Lydon's faults he never really suffered from foot in mouth to the extent Joe Strummer did.

PostPosted:
Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:52 am
loughers
Ska Face
Ska Face

Hugh wrote:

Nobody said he was - stick that in your straw man argument and smoke it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
PostPosted:
Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:15 am