View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Pledge
Gangster
Gangster

Post subject: Reply with quote

JUKESKA wrote:
Regarding this series.
There was a whole new Ska revival happening in 1990, shame none of the characters seem aware of this, probably because the writer himself was no more than a 12 month bandwagoner back in his youth.

Conversely in 1990 I was listening to Terry, Blair and Anouchka, The Nutty Boys, UB40 and FYC (the latter two I now thoroughly regret and can't listen to). I had no clue about Madchester or raves. Well I knew they existed, but they weren't for me so I paid no attention. To this day I have no idea why some people idolise Ian Brown to the extent they do. I was almost totally oblivious to the whole thing. Chances are 99% of the population (and more) were unaware there was another ska thing going on at around the same time.

Shane Meadow's jumping off point was his life, not mine. The fact that I can relate to what happened in the original film was enough to get me hooked. For me it was all about choices and the knife edge many of us walked by being part of the skinhead thing as youths.
PostPosted:
Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:40 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
Sugarman
Too Hot

Pledge wrote:
JUKESKA wrote:
Regarding this series.
There was a whole new Ska revival happening in 1990, shame none of the characters seem aware of this, probably because the writer himself was no more than a 12 month bandwagoner back in his youth.

Conversely in 1990 I was listening to Terry, Blair and Anouchka, The Nutty Boys, UB40 and FYC (the latter two I now thoroughly regret and can't listen to). I had no clue about Madchester or raves. Well I knew they existed, but they weren't for me so I paid no attention. To this day I have no idea why some people idolise Ian Brown to the extent they do. I was almost totally oblivious to the whole thing. Chances are 99% of the population (and more) were unaware there was another ska thing going on at around the same time.

Shane Meadow's jumping off point was his life, not mine. The fact that I can relate to what happened in the original film was enough to get me hooked. For me it was all about choices and the knife edge many of us walked by being part of the skinhead thing as youths.

Fine young cannibals first album is a classic, they were not a Ska band but they wrote good songs like Blue, Time isn't kind, Move to work and others, even Jerry Dammers liked them Smile
Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:40 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Halfy
Special

Sugarman wrote:
Pledge wrote:
JUKESKA wrote:
Regarding this series.

Fine young cannibals first album is a classic, they were not a Ska band but they wrote good songs like Blue, Time isn't kind, Move to work and others, even Jerry Dammers liked them Smile

I'm with the 'General'. Great work from FYC.

I've enjoyed the whole series. The cast have to be given great credit for their ability to ad-lib so well, if sometimes it makes some scenes a little dis-jointed but all the more rewarding for it. The only other drama that hooked as me much was 'The WIRE'. Let's hope a few 'gongs' come their way Cool
Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:09 am
the-ska-knight
Too Hot

The concluding episode was a beautiful way to round it all off. I kind of hope they leave it now.

Some of the performances were breathtakingly fucking good.

Combo is an obvious one, but Lol and Kelly (especially their scenes together) were so impressive and so real in their roles.

I disagree totally that Madchester is a poor choice of backdrop for the series. By miles it was the scene of 1990. I don't especially like the Stone Roses but it would be wrong to say they, and the music largely featured in the series wasn't the main thing at the time. Madchester was everywhere.
PostPosted:
Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:34 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

I never got into the Madchester scene but I loved Britpop without, Oasis Smile

I bought This is England 2 disc DVD today for the special features Smile

I'm looking forward to this new series soon Smile

http://www.sky.com/tv/show/the-last-panthers/video/trailer
Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:51 pm
the-ska-knight
Too Hot

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/this-is-england/37264/this-is-england-90-episode-4-review-winter
PostPosted:
Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:35 am
Trojan
Too Hot

I thought the whole Madchester scene was fantastic. I always had a soft spot for the Inspiral Carpets As others have said it was the scene of the time and it certainly plays a major back drop to any social commentary of the time. In the early 90’s I was also listening to a lot of what came known as Gangster Rap. The rap albums of that time are fantastic. The rave scene gave me some the best nights of my life, but I am under no illusion that MDMA played a major part in that.

As for Britpop I never got into Blur but liked a lot of the ‘lesser’ bands like Echobelly and Elastica.

I've still no interest in watching any of the This is England TV series though.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:09 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

Trojan wrote:
I thought the whole Madchester scene was fantastic. I always had a soft spot for the Inspiral Carpets As others have said it was the scene of the time and it certainly plays a major back drop to any social commentary of the time. In the early 90’s I was also listening to a lot of what came known as Gangster Rap. The rap albums of that time are fantastic. The rave scene gave me some the best nights of my life, but I am under no illusion that MDMA played a major part in that.

As for Britpop I never got into Blur but liked a lot of the ‘lesser’ bands like Echobelly, Elastica

I also liked Echobelly, Elastica, early Rave and N.W.A Smile

Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:53 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

Sugarman wrote:
Trojan wrote:

As for Britpop I never got into Blur but liked a lot of the ‘lesser’ bands like Echobelly, Elastica

I also liked Echobelly, Elastica, early Rave and N.W.A Smile

<object width="475" height="381"><param value="http://www.youtube.com/v/woj5euSqx8o&showsearch=0&rel=0&fs=1&autoplay=0&ap=%2526fmt%3D18" name="movie" /><param value="window" name="wmode" /><param value="true" name="allowFullScreen" /><embed width="475" height="381" wmode="window" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/woj5euSqx8o&showsearch=0&fs=1&rel=0&autoplay=0&ap=%2526fmt%3D18"></embed></object>

During the early 90's I don't think Ice Cube released a single bad track.

AmeriKKKa's Must Wanted, Death Certificate, The Predator and Lethal Injection are all outstanding albums.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:04 pm
bluearmy78
Gangster
Gangster

I started this thread bemoaning the first couple of episodes, but I have to say the last two parts were really very good. Some fantastic acting by the cast, and the ending was great. I do hope they do more in the future, I would like to know where the characters go from here. Still not a fan of the Madchester theme though !
Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:58 pm
louis2
Gangster
Gangster

best thing on the tv since last series, fantastic show...
Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:45 pm
Hugh
Too Hot

It ain't but a grain of England.
Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:36 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail