Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information THE SPITFIRES - UK Tour dates

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » Upcoming Events   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
agmp.co.uk
Stereotype

Post subject: THE SPITFIRES - UK Tour dates Reply with quote

After supporting the Specials & Paul Weller, THE SPITFIRES take to the road to showcase their debut album "Response" taking in Leeds, Birmingham, Manchester, Nottingham, Bristol & London's 100 Club.

Tickets - www.eventim.co.uk/thespitfires

AGMP.co.uk presents

THE SPITFIRES

The "Take Action!" Tour

+ special guests

"Songwriter Billy Sullivan ensures that The Spitfires are a cut above" - Daily Mirror

The Spitfires are Billy Sullivan (vocals, guitar) Sam Long (bass) and Matt Johnson (drums) and Chris Chanell (keyboard, vocals).

Their critically accliamed debut album ‘Response’ was released in August 2015 on their own ‘Catch 22’ record label hitting the Independent and Vinyl Charts at Number 6 and the UK Album Chart at Number 63.

Their energetic and powerful live performances have already seen them play over 200 shows and with their growing fan base and reputation it’s no surprise that the band came to the attention of Paul Weller and The Specials who both personally invited them along to support in recent months.
PostPosted:
Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:23 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
kennybacon
Special

Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got my tickets for Manchester.

I put a post on last year about their album, but it got limited 'Response'.....

....well none to be honest.
Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:10 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Trojan
Too Hot

The Spitfires certainly look the part and appear to put their heart and soul into it, (even if the lead singer has obviously watched one too many videos of Paul Weller fronting The Jam), but for me anyway, they just don’t have any good songs. Granted what I have watched and listened to is limited to what it on YouTube but nothing I have heard would make me want to listen to it again.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:58 am
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

I got the Spitfires new cd a while ago, only just decided to give it a listen. My god the lead singer could double for a young Weller, he must have practised for hours in his bedroom to sound like that.After about 5 songs l had to turn it off. It became cringe worthy . lf he wants to sound like that he should really just be in a Jam tribute band.
Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:15 pm
kennybacon
Special

bluearmy78 wrote:
I got the Spitfires new cd a while ago, only just decided to give it a listen. My god the lead singer could double for a young Weller, he must have practised for hours in his bedroom to sound like that.After about 5 songs l had to turn it off. It became cringe worthy . lf he wants to sound like that he should really just be in a Jam tribute band.

Its a shame you couldn't bear to listen to all of the CD as the last track 4am is the best on the album in my opinion.

Of course the Jam/Weller influence is obvious, its not something they hide, and most bands these days take influence from the past.
As for a tribute band, I can't see how that works as the vast majority of their work is written by Billy Sullivan (the lead singer).

Each to their own, and I am much happier spending £10 for a ticket to watch them again tonight than I would be spending £40 plus to watch The current Specials line up, made up of three original members, a session player and two members of other bands (and no replacement for the energy of the band - Neville)
Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:20 am
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

Im not saying the guy cant write his own stuff, he clearly does. All lm saying is he sounds so much like Weller, he could do a very good turn as him in a tribute band to The Jam. He sounds just like Paul Weller did in the early days, the voice is uncanny, he must have practised the impression for a while to get it that close.
As for The Specials, l totally agree, 3 members left,they should pack it in. Its a nonsense to keep it going as it is, but each to their own. There will be plenty on here who disagree, and good luck to them.
Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:22 am