Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Jerry isn't ever gonna release any new music again, huh?

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » Jerry Dammers   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
sweetdudejim
Stereotype

Post subject: Jerry isn't ever gonna release any new music again, huh? Reply with quote

Can anybody tell me why this extremely talented guy has not felt the urge to release an album (or even a single) in like 30 years? It's ridiculous. Even just "First Victims of War" would be great to hear! Something!

I still hope for something but every year that passes it just seems less likely. Then again, Dave Wakeling (who only has a two decade wait at the moment) is actually releasing a new English Beat record very soon, so maybe Jerry will surprise us with a Spatial AKA album at some point. Or shoot, (hope beyond hope) maybe at some point Jerry and Terry will finally properly mend fences and finally continue on again with The Specials' recorded legacy.
PostPosted:
Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:28 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
sweetdudejim
Stereotype

Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then. I guess that's that. Guess either nobody cares or nobody has an opinion on this.

Or more possibly, they are about as hopeful as I am that Jerry will ever release new music.
PostPosted:
Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:10 am
Paul Willo
Site Admin
Site Admin

There was supposed to be a Spatial AKA album at one point- but things move slowly on the Jerry front - but never say never but the Spatials seem to have gone quiet.
www.theskapones.co.uk

www.youtube.com/paulska67

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/TheSpecials2Com/245413985501746

www.roddyradiation.com

PostPosted:
Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:16 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
sweetdudejim
Stereotype

Paul Willo wrote:
There was supposed to be a Spatial AKA album at one point- but things move slowly on the Jerry front - but never say never but the Spatials seem to have gone quiet.

So no more Spatial AKA now either? Ugh. I admit it seems like it woulda been quite a bit of work to get a Spatial AKA album together but I had some hope, especially as Jerry had added actual new material to their sets.

Is there any way we could convince Jerry that people wanna hear something new!?
PostPosted:
Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:05 pm
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

All l can add is, he must have a good pension from all his credits from the old two tone days, as l cant see the odd appearance dj ing or the odd Spatical AKA gig can possibly keep him on their own.
As for new material, l gave up on that idea a long time ago, l just dont think he wants to get stuck with another long winded,expensive " ln the studio " project. And cant see a studio taking his work on, which lm sure would take months to create,cost a fortune, with no chance of ever recouping the costs.
Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:54 am
Imani
Too Hot

bluearmy78 wrote:
All l can add is, he must have a good pension from all his credits from the old two tone days, as l cant see the odd appearance dj ing or the odd Spatical AKA gig can possibly keep him on their own.
As for new material, l gave up on that idea a long time ago, l just dont think he wants to get stuck with another long winded,expensive " ln the studio " project. And cant see a studio taking his work on, which lm sure would take months to create,cost a fortune, with no chance of ever recouping the costs.

A belated suggestion, possibly a "too-lated" suggestion, but here goes:

How about just going into the studio and doing it live? Considering all the great records of the past that Jerry references were created like that, one take stuff - maybe with the exception of Sergeant Pepper.

When you think of In The Studio, Free Nelson Mandela was the track that got done the fastest. It's the strongest song on the album, the one that grabs your attention. It also became the defining moment and most successful song for Special AKA. It can't be just a coincidence! Perhaps it needs someone of the likes of Elvis Costello to pull things together, as he did when producing Free Nelson Mandela.

I've got loads of respect for his perfectionism and attention to detail but something else to consider. Jerry's a jazz fan, and he's mentioned Miles Davis & John Coltrane in particular. They were both about making recordings that were spontaneous and captured the moment, often going into record with the loosest ideas and recording whole albums sometimes in less than a day. But records such as Kind Of Blue have stood the test of time.

Last edited by Imani on Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:25 pm
seanjamdown
Too Hot

Kind of Blue certainly has stood the test of time. A truly fantastic record.

I'd love to hear a new album from Jerry.
PostPosted:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:50 pm
Imani
Too Hot

seanjamdown wrote:

Even an EP with a smaller line-up would be a good place to start.
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:52 pm
seanjamdown
Too Hot

Imani wrote:
seanjamdown wrote:

A 7" would be amazing Smile
PostPosted:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:08 pm
Imani
Too Hot

seanjamdown wrote:
Imani wrote:
seanjamdown wrote:

A 7" would be amazing Smile

So, Jerry - if you're reading this...
Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:42 pm
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

Why doesnt Jerry do a crowd funding album or something ? That way he could get his music out there. As long as he doesnt take a leaf out of Dave Wakelings book !
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:46 pm
Imani
Too Hot

bluearmy78 wrote:
Why doesnt Jerry do a crowd funding album or something ? That way he could get his music out there. As long as he doesnt take a leaf out of Dave Wakelings book !

It'd get the pledges but as you say, the Pledge route can have its problems.
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:02 am
Imani
Too Hot

He's been working with Johnny Clarke apparently. Here's an interview from March 2018.

Reggaeville Magazine:
YOU’VE KEPT ON RECORDING THE UK OVER THE YEARS. YOU MENTIONED SHAKA, MAD PROFESSOR AND THEN A BIT LATER YOU DID SOOTHSAYERS AND EVEN MUNGO’S HI FI IN SCOTLAND WHERE YOU DID SOMETHING FOR RECORD STORE DAY.

Johnny Clarke:
Yeah Bad Boys! And yeah man good brethren, Mungo’s in Scotland. And don’t forget you have a guy named Jerry Dammers. He has some stuff there because he is a professional you know? He has his studio and he works and he is very knowledgeable and he does his thing professional. Yeah we work with Jerry and we put on harmonies and he believes in me. I respect him and he respects me too. And I love that, so through that now I feel like he’s someone to deal with proper. Solid.

https://www.reggaeville.com/artist-details/johnny-clarke/news/view/johnny-clarke-interview-from-the-80s-to-today-part-iii/
Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:10 am
Imani
Too Hot

Reflecting on the reunion of 2009, it's interesting to compare The Specials to Madness.

I think as well as friendship, I've a feeling what helped Madness remain intact for so long was their relationship with management/record label.

With the Specials, Jerry had effectively taken on the responsibility of doing everything - the artwork, the musical direction, the hotels they stayed in etc
- not only for his own band but also responsible for others on 2 Tone.

In addition you could say he was co-managing the band. Neville says that Rick Rogers was essentially administering ideas that had come from Jerry.

With Madness, even with all their artistic freedom, ultimately you had Dave Robinson choosing each single from the beginning, making their videos, and of course it was his label. There was no equivalent figure at 2 tone for Jerry to defer to.

Though it also comes down to the music. Look at each band's second albums. When you listen to Absolutely, you can hear all of the individual personalities in the group, and they all have an input. By the time More Specials was released, it became audibly much more centred on Jerry.

Jerry's micro-managing and attention to detail resulted in some great work, but I'd also suggest that it undermined his relationship with the band. Ultimately I think it's a shame there wasn't able to be a meeting of halfway between him and the rest of the band.
Sat May 26, 2018 5:47 pm