Information BREXIT

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Chat  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny, Coz I Luv You was released before Hypocrite, Pressure Drop etc. I added it to discogs if you want to have a look at the cover. Sugarman did a really comprehensive discography of Specials Mark II on this site which is worth a look at.
PostPosted:
Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:01 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
kev
Ska Face
Ska Face

kennybacon wrote:
kev wrote:
Sugarman wrote:
Trojan wrote:
kennybacon wrote:
kev wrote:
[Ironically, just before I came on here I saw another topic 'the English Beat' and ask, why the need for the word English? I don't think there will be an answer that satisfies every one but the one thing that is certain is that forums like this can let people have a healthy, if spirited debate with no hard feelings (and if people do take it personally I would suggest that they might be suited on another forum). All the Best

The English Beat was the name used by The Beat in America, as they couldn't use name The Beat over there, as an American band already had it.

It just identified them in the states as The Beat (from England) nothing more to it than that as far as I know.

Obviously now it identifies it as Dave Wakelings branch of The Beat, as opposed to Ranking Roger who still uses The Beat name, and not to be confused with Everett Mortons 'The Beat Goes Bang'
and of course there was The Special Beat once upon a time.

And just to add a little more into the mix they were called The British Beat in Australia.

I have I Just Can't Stop It and a few 7" singles by The British Beat I picked up through the years Smile

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/z/EJwAAOSwEK9Tw8B8/$_12.JPG

Thanks. Wow, so they now have 3 names...!!! Thankfully the Specials are still called
The Specials. Thanks again.

The Special AKA, The Spatial AKA and of course The Special Beat, all part of the family tree of what was once The Coventry Automatics

Another point, was there a particular reason why Gangsters was The Special AKA, A Message To You Rudi was The Specials then back to AKA for Too Much Too Young EP?
I can understand reverting back to AKA once the funboy 3 was formed as it was a practically a new line up - but not the swapping in the early days

Thats what I love about the people on this forum, they are really passionate about their music. Thanks for the info
PostPosted:
Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:11 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

kennybacon wrote:
HarryJ185 wrote:
We also had The X Specials for one cd single - I preferred that as it distinguished them from the original band, even though the name did not last.

What is this Harry? I've not heard of this before Surprised

Cover art and disc labels Smile

http://www.45worlds.com/cdsingle/cd/rrscd1010
Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:07 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

HarryJ185 wrote:
Kenny, Coz I Luv You was released before Hypocrite, Pressure Drop etc. I added it to discogs if you want to have a look at the cover. Sugarman did a really comprehensive discography of Specials Mark II on this site which is worth a look at.

Thanks Harry I just added a few more things I didn't know about last time or I just forgot to add them Smile

Nearly every Rare or unusual 2 Tone item I see on Discogs, I check who uploaded them and I am never surprised when I see your name Smile

The Selecter ‎– A Christmas Fable Promo CD, I have never seen this Promo offered for sale before? very nice item Harry Smile
Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:29 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

HarryJ185 wrote:
We also had The X Specials for one cd single - I preferred that as it distinguished them from the original band, even though the name did not last.

Never knew there were releases with British Beat - more releases to add to my wanted list.

Here are a few more British Beat releases Smile

http://www.45cat.com/artist/the-british-beat
Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:21 pm
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

With apologies to Trojan who is still waiting for one of the Brexiters to reply to the main thread...

Sugarman - I hate downloads so was really pleased to see the Christmas Fable promo cd one day on ebay. Nobody else bid on it! Recently managed to get three cd singles that I only knew existed thanks to you - Specials - Too Much Too Young (Belgium), Specials Mark II - Bonediggin' (promo), and Neville's The Project EP (promo).
PostPosted:
Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:54 pm
kennybacon
Special

Thanks Harry & Sugarman, really didn't know about this, just ordered a copy of the CD single, many thanks Very Happy
Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:55 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

Nice one Harry

I saw that Neville Staple cd on eBay a while ago, I'm glad you won the only copy I've seen since I bought mine Smile

Thankfully 2 Tone related items are always cheap when found and you rarely if ever get outbid on anything Smile

A Christmas Fable might be on Made in Britain Deluxe Edition Wink Laughing
Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:27 am
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Glad to hear you got a copy, Kenny.

Glad we have never ended up in a bidding war, Sugarman!

On the subject of EU, if they want to encourage other countries to stay in, they would do well to think of menus for more austere times. A starter of quail salad, and main of poached veal would not be on most voters kitchen tables at teatime.
PostPosted:
Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:29 pm
the-ska-knight
Too Hot

So now Toad of Toad Hall (also known as Farage) has gone. The single biggest piece of shit to emerge from this whole fiasco (which is some achievement, given the other players). Goodbye and good riddance. Fuck off and enjoy the country you've now "got back".
PostPosted:
Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:56 pm
kev
Ska Face
Ska Face

Trojan wrote:
kev wrote:
I think that the exit decision is brilliant for the UK. ?

Apart from that fact people voted for it can you explain why the vote to Leave was 'brilliant for the UK'.

It proves democracy isn't dead in the UK for a start. It has shown that there are a large (almost equal) proportion of people within the country that despite their wanting 'fairness' and 'let the people be heard' beliefs and opinions have denied the result of democracy because it didn't go their way, which says a lot about them. I'm not so certain that this has 'created' the divide that the press is capitalizing on or just showing what was already there anyway, regardless of a referendum. Every shout against democracy denies the very existence of a persons or a country's freedom. People have the undeniable right to protest against the vote but ultimately have to accept the result of democracy, if they deny that then all is lost. I know that there have been the immigration and financial lies throughout, but democratic choice should never be denied. More recently it appears that it could have gone the other way if many of the 'remains' had got off of their backsides and voted, so really the 'remainers' only have themselves, if anyone, to blame.
PostPosted:
Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:47 pm
kennybacon
Special

kev wrote:
Trojan wrote:
kev wrote:

Apart from that fact people voted for it can you explain why the vote to Leave was 'brilliant for the UK'.

It proves democracy isn't dead in the UK for a start. It has shown that there are a large (almost equal) proportion of people within the country that despite their wanting 'fairness' and 'let the people be heard' beliefs and opinions have denied the result of democracy because it didn't go their way, which says a lot about them. I'm not so certain that this has 'created' the divide that the press is capitalizing on or just showing what was already there anyway, regardless of a referendum. Every shout against democracy denies the very existence of a persons or a country's freedom. People have the undeniable right to protest against the vote but ultimately have to accept the result of democracy, if they deny that then all is lost. I know that there have been the immigration and financial lies throughout, but democratic choice should never be denied. More recently it appears that it could have gone the other way if many of the 'remains' had got off of their backsides and voted, so really the 'remainers' only have themselves, if anyone, to blame.

So it proves that democracy is alive and kicking basically? I think it was anyway before the referendum. We all had the right to vote in local and general elections.
I think it has also proved that if you tell people lies, enough of them will be sucked into backing you.
The aftermath of the result has also shown that the main figureheads (Johnson and Farage) in the leave campaign have bailed out, possibly because they know the task ahead that they have set is a little too difficult for them to deal with. And the other guy Gove has been voted out of the running to lead the Tories as he has been unmasked as a low down backstabbing snake,

Nice work.
Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:16 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

kev wrote:
Trojan wrote:
kev wrote:

Kev, that's a great summary of how the voting process works, but again I ask why do you think Brexit was good for the UK.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:57 am
kev
Ska Face
Ska Face

Trojan wrote:
kev wrote:
Trojan wrote:
kev wrote:

Kev, that's a great summary of how the voting process works, but again I ask why do you think Brexit was good for the UK.

Point taken Trojan. The point is, so many people in this country are dissatisfied with whatever political party are in, this has given the voice back to the people. It is good for the UK inasmuch as the UK will now be taken seriously instead of puppets. If Johnson and the Tories do their job properly it will make sure that we have a voice. I remember pre EU and EU and pre EU was better. We don't have a global 'utopia' at the moment, never have had never will have. The best that the Remainers could have achieved was more of the same. I noticed that most of the remain propaganda that I have seen is from small businesses and students who go abroad for six months. None have the experience of a longer life and what that brings. I am proud of being 1) Human (well?) 2) being English (or UK) and 3) that I don't want to dumb down or be understanding to those who basically see the UK as a soft touch. How will it be good for the UK? It will give the UK back its balls. I have heard 'stay in the EU because of terrorism" look what has happened repeatedly in France. We have a voice and despite being beaten down the UK is a pretty fuckin' cool place to be proud of. I don't want it as part of the EU as I see so many spongers and ponces taking and not giving. If people want to play on equal terms then they need to enter the game on an equal level. The EU was turning into a charity. Why is it good for the UK? Because charity begins at home.
PostPosted:
Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:46 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

Kev,

It is now become clear that Brexit means quite different things to different people. Some want a complete break and some want a Norway and Iceland type relationship with membership of the European Free Trade Association and/or the European Economic Area, both of which means that the EU have you over an economic barrel.

No one knows what Brexit will mean, but for some bizarre reason millions thought it was worth taking a risk to find out. Good look to any Prime Minister who thinks they can get a cohesive team together to face the EU.

You seem to be taking the 'regain sovereignty position', which to be honest I don't really get because flag waving never really appealed to me!!.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:13 pm
kev
Ska Face
Ska Face

Trojan wrote:
Kev,

It is now become clear that Brexit means quite different things to different people. Some want a complete break and some want a Norway and Iceland type relationship with membership of the European Free Trade Association and/or the European Economic Area, both of which means that the EU have you over an economic barrel.

No one knows what Brexit will mean, but for some bizarre reason millions thought it was worth taking a risk to find out. Good look to any Prime Minister who thinks they can get a cohesive team together to face the EU.

You seem to be taking the 'regain sovereignty position', which to be honest I don't really get because flag waving never really appealed to me!!.

Hi Trojan, a very sensible argument you put forward. I completely agree, lets face it, whether Brexit or not, no one has ever really been certain what will happen. I haven't softened (never really hardened for that matter). It was a vote and many voted different ways, which is a good thing as at least we are still free enough to have discussions like this. To be honest, what I would like to see is people living in peace, with enough money and food to live well, whatever their racial origin. I see a lot immigrants who sponge off the state, but that said, I see at least as many 'born and bred' jeremy kyle fodder doing much worse. Dunno about regaining soverignty, I'm proud of what this country could achieve if we were'nt so beaten down and didn't beat others down. The UK ain't a bad place and regardless, there is a lot of good that the people in the UK do. I don't regret my vote and I hope (as much as anyone else) that a sensible way forward is taken whereby there is enough for everyone, but not necessarily for those who just want to take it without contributing for the benefit of all. Thanks for the discussion Trojan, a sensible debate.
PostPosted:
Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:51 pm