AuthorMessage
parkedcars
Ska Face
Ska Face

Post subject: Pier 84, New York, NY August 13, 1981 Reply with quote

The Specials
Pier 84, New York, NY
August 13, 1981

***The first 16 minutes of side B (tracks 13,14,15) are plagued by severe tape warble and rendered unlistenable***

Side A
01 Concrete Jungle
02 Sock It To 'Em JB
03 Hey Little Rich Girl
04 Rat Race
05 Why?
06 Pearl's Cafe
07 I Can't Stand It
08 The Boiler
09 Friday Night, Saturday Morning
10 Maggie's Farm
11 Chang Kai Shek
12 Stereotype

Side B
13 Do Nothing*
14 International Jet Set*
15 Man At C&A*
16 Nite Klub
17 Enjoy Yourself
18 Ghost Town
19 Gangsters

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v2fae1s22yuatw0/AACqPAHhsaL6MYTnYzatf4YZa?dl=0

I got these shows from Dime A Dozen & The Trader's Den.
All praise goes to the original tapers who pressed record all those years ago <3
PostPosted:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:35 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Trojan
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, parkedcars.

One thing is noticeable in these bootlegs is that they don't sound like a band which was in it's death throws. In fact they sound on top form. The 'new' material and expanded sound doesn't even hint at band which was at the end of its tether. Shame really.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:10 pm
parkedcars
Ska Face
Ska Face

Trojan wrote:

One thing is noticeable in these bootlegs is that they don't sound like a band which was in it's death throws. In fact they sound on top form. The 'new' material and expanded sound doesn't even hint at a band which was at the end of its tether. Shame really.

You're very welcome, just trying to give something back Smile

And I agree.

Ghost Town sounds INCREDIBLE here (goose bumps when Rico solos!), so why would you throw all that potential away just a few months later?

'Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got til it's gone'
as someone once sang.
PostPosted:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:31 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

parkedcars wrote:
Trojan wrote:

One thing is noticeable in these bootlegs is that they don't sound like a band which was in it's death throws. In fact they sound on top form. The 'new' material and expanded sound doesn't even hint at a band which was at the end of its tether. Shame really.

You're very welcome, just trying to give something back Smile

And I agree.

Ghost Town sounds INCREDIBLE here (goose bumps when Rico solos!), so why would you throw all that potential away just a few months later?

'Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got til it's gone'
as someone once sang.

Compare the versions of Ghost Town on these recordings to the racket the current lineup are knocking out. Says it all really.

PostPosted:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:46 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

Thanks again for this Parkedcars Smile

So Pier 51 New York must be another gig or is there a mix up somewhere?

Thankfully 16,17,18 & 19 on Side B are alright it would have been a shame to miss out on Ghost Town as there are only 2 other live versions available.

I'm also looking forward to hearing the 1981 version of Gangsters

Cheers Smile
Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:40 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

THE POP LIFE

By ROBERT PALMER
August 12, 1981, Wednesday

DURING the worst weeks of the inner-city rioting that flared up in Britain last month, that country's number one single was ''Ghost Town,'' an eerily prophetic song by the Specials. ''Why must the youth fight against themselves?'' the Specials asked, and they provided an answer: ''Government leaving the youth on the shelf. No job to be found in this country / Can't go on no more, people getting angry / This town is coming like a ghost town.'' (Plangent Visions Music, Ascap). Tonight, the Specials are playing at the Dr Pepper Festival on Pier 84, 12th Avenue and 46th Street. They flew into town earlier this week to finish planning a brief American tour that will take them across the country to Los Angeles and back again for a second New York performance at the Ritz on Tuesday, Aug. 25. On Monday, the three of them (there are seven in all) sat down to talk. ''When we recorded 'Ghost Town,' we were talking about last year's riots in Bristol and Brixton,'' said Terry Hall, one of the group's lead vocalists. ''The fact that it became popular when it did was just a weird coincidence.''

Nevertheless, the Specials, a multiracial band that has played numerous benefit concerts for antiracist and antinuclear organizations and recently performed in Britain to aid the Right to Work march protesting unemployment, have always been a cause-oriented group. ''Because we are multiracial, we want to see people live together the same way we work on our music,'' said Lynval Golding, the group's black rhythm guitarist and vocalist. ''Issues like racism and unemployment can't be pushed aside. One reason we aided the Right to Work march was that one in ten people in Britain are unemployed now, which is a lot of people, if you think about it. Most of the Specials are from working-class backgrounds. I know if I didn't have this job to do, I'd probably have been out there doing what those kids were doing during the rioting. You can't blame them for rebelling against the system, because it's the system that has caused the unemployment.'' 'They Aren't Helping Anybody'

''Our government leaders aren't interested in knowing the way people feel,'' Mr. Hall added. ''If they were, they'd just resign, because they aren't helping anybody. The kids can't go to the Prime Minister and say, look, 'We are unemployed, what are you going to do to help us?' There's no way they can approach people like that. So they express themselves by smashing things up.''

Neville Staples, the Specials' black lead vocalist and most manic stage performer, joined the conversation. ''Can you imagine leaving school and just going on the dole,'' he asked, ''with no hope of getting a job? Knowing that for the next 40 or 50 years you probably aren't going to be working? That's really depressing. It's very depressing in England now, and everyone is saying there's more of this to come and worse. I'm just wondering what my kids are going to do.''

The Specials have had a stormy history. They were the first British band to popularize a new kind of rock that was heavily influenced by ska, the Jamaican pop music of the 60's. Two Tone, the record label they started as a home base for bands with similar ska-related styles and similar commitments to racial harmony, eventually lent its name to an entire movement, encompassing popular bands like The Selecter, the English Beat, and Madness. After the Specials burst on the British recording scene at the end of 1979, Two Tone music became extremely popular there, but performances by Two Tone bands sometimes drew crowds that included opposing or hostile elements - blacks and Asians on the one hand, a few neo-Fascists on the other. Several Specials concerts were interrupted by shouts of ''Sieg Heil'' and Nazi salutes, and on more than one occasion, members of the band waded into the crowd to eject hecklers from the premises. A Second U.S. Tour

After more than a year of almost nonstop touring, including a swing through the United States in early 1980 that resulted in remarkably vivid and energizing performances at new-wave clubs like New York's now-defunct Hurrah, the Specials decided to take a vacation. They returned to action recently with their single ''Ghost Town,'' which included an antiracist song by Lynval Golding and a bittersweet partying tune by Terry Hall on its flip side. They also played some benefits before beginning their long-delayed second United States tour, which comes almost a year after the release here by Chrysalis records of their second album, ''More Specials.''

The British music press has been spreading rumors of a Specials breakup recently, but Terry Hall put these rumors in perspective. ''We've all been writing songs that might go on a third Specials album,'' he said, ''but right now we're thinking about Wednesday night's concert, which we've been looking forward to for a long time. When we get back to England, we'll decide what to do next. We learned long ago that planning things far in advance doesn't work for us; we have to plan things from day to day.'' That might help explain how the band managed, apparently without trying, to make a hit single that perfectly mirrored the perilous tenor of its times. Black and British

The Specials have helped create a brand of pop music that appeals to both blacks and whites in Britain. For the most part, British pop since the advent of their Two Tone fusion has either been variations on Two Tone, white rock and popular music, or Jamaican-derived black reggae. But recently, a few of Britain's black musicians have begun to create pop that is both overtly black and overtly British, rather than black and second-generation Jamaican or some species of blackwhite fusion.

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/08/12/arts/the-pop-life-234377.html

Last edited by Sugarman on Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:46 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

Trojan wrote:

One thing is noticeable in these bootlegs is that they don't sound like a band which was in it's death throws. In fact they sound on top form. The 'new' material and expanded sound doesn't even hint at band which was at the end of its tether. Shame really.

Terry once said that the reason the band played so well during the last few gigs was because they were all very angry and Pissed off with each other over the endless touring and other stuff going on within the band near the end?
Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:01 pm
parkedcars
Ska Face
Ska Face

Sugarman wrote:
Thanks again for this Parkedcars Smile

So Pier 51 New York must be another gig or is there a mix up somewhere?

Thankfully 16,17,18 & 19 on Side B are alright it would have been a shame to miss out on Ghost Town as there are only 2 other live versions available.

I'm also looking forward to hearing the 1981 version of Gangsters

Cheers Smile

Hi Sugarman, Though it's a tragedy that any of the tracks are missing, the original taper realised the tape flip had gone wrong and restarted - phew!

Yes, it's a mix up and the venue was Pier 84, not 51 Smile
PostPosted:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:35 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

Thanks for sorting that one out, as far a Specials gigs go 1981 are by far the most important ones to have because there are so few around I'm very greatful for a decent copy of Ghost Town Smile

I used Dime and Trader's Den a few years ago but there wasn't much 2 Tone appearing at the time and I have forgotten my user name and password for both pages.

All we need now are The Coventry Automatics, Squad and The Swinging Cats Smile
Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:44 pm
parkedcars
Ska Face
Ska Face

Sugarman wrote:
Thanks for sorting that one out, as far a Specials gigs go 1981 are by far the most important ones to have because there are so few around I'm very greatful for a decent copy of Ghost Town Smile

I used Dime and Trader's Den a few years ago but there wasn't much 2 Tone appearing at the time and I have forgotten my user name and password for both pages.

All we need now are The Coventry Automatics, Squad and The Swinging Cats Smile

The holy grail for me would be a recording from The Clash On Parole tour Very Happy
PostPosted:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:55 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

The Aston University, Birmingham April 79 is the closest you will get to a Coventry Automatics gig, they had more of a Punky Reggae sound than Ska at that time.

The Specials (The Coventry Automatics) Top Rank, Birmingham 12th July 1978 supporting The Clash Smile

Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:43 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

Sugarman wrote:

The British music press has been spreading rumors of a Specials breakup recently, but Terry Hall put these rumors in perspective. ''We've all been writing songs that might go on a third Specials album,'' he said, ''but right now we're thinking about Wednesday night's concert, which we've been looking forward to for a long time. When we get back to England, we'll decide what to do next. We learned long ago that planning things far in advance doesn't work for us; we have to plan things from day to day.''

Was Terry's nose growing when he said this?

PostPosted:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:51 am
Trojan
Too Hot

parkedcars wrote:

It was all over in a matter of weeks after these gigs. The fully fledged Fun Boy Three were interviewed for Smash Hits at the end of October and 'The Lunatics' was released as a single around the same time. That didn't happen by accident.

PostPosted:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:17 pm
mangeire
Gangster
Gangster

[quote="Sugarman"]
Trojan wrote:

Terry once said that the reason the band played so well during the last few gigs was because they were all very angry and Pissed off with each other over the endless touring and other stuff going on within the band near the end?

I can't see how being pissed off with each other makes a band play better, I tend to take much of what Terry says with a pinch of salt.

Thanks a million parkedcars for these links! A real shame they split so soon after, I think they were getting better and better as a band
PostPosted:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:05 pm
kennybacon
Special

Thanks for these Parkedcars Very Happy
I have only downloaded the Liberty Bell gig so far.

I have to admit, I was totally unaware of Chaing Kai Shek and noticed another track 'crowd problems' on another bootleg - which again is news to me.

does anyone know if these are these the only two tracks that have never appeared on any official release, that we know of?

I wonder if any demo's exist, that could be released
Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:51 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

kennybacon wrote:

I have to admit, I was totally unaware of Chaing Kai Shek and noticed another track 'crowd problems' on another bootleg - which again is news to me.

does anyone know if these are these the only two tracks that have never appeared on any official release, that we know of?

Eh.....crowd problems? ????

PostPosted:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:30 pm
kennybacon
Special

Trojan wrote:
kennybacon wrote:

Eh.....crowd problems? ????

I realise my misunderstanding now, but it is listed as track 4 on
http://www.thespecials2.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=24304

Without listening to this bootleg, I assumed it was another song that I had never heard before, not actual disturbance in the crowd!
I will have to download now just to listen to that
Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:42 am
kennybacon
Special

parkedcars wrote:
New to me, maybe new to you, too Smile

*** Be warned, the quality on this is Very Rough ***

The Specials
Paramount Theater, Staten Island, NY
August 21, 1981

01 Concrete Jungle
02 Sock it to Em JB
03 Hey Little Rich Girl
04 Crowd Problems
05 Rat Race
06 Why
07 Pearl's Cafe
08 I Can't Stand It
09 The Boiler
10 Friday Night Saturday Morning
11 Maggie's Farm (Tribute to Ronnie Reagan)
12 Chiang Kai-Shek
13 Stereotypes
14 International Jet Set
15 Do Nothing
16 Man At C&A
17 Night Club
18 Enjoy Yourself
19 Ghost Town

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/54yo6yzkwtndp94/AAC1fknuN65SF2EApg5CXsSpa?dl=0

Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:46 am
Sugarman
Too Hot

kennybacon wrote:

Kenny There are quite a few new tracks on this Booleg Wink

Zasaron
Youngsters
Where
Rude Boy
One Two
Nobody is Special

http://www.2-tone.info/2tone.pl?show406&
Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:41 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

kennybacon wrote:

I'm guessing the reason Chaing Kai Shek was played is because Rico had Just released That Man Is Forward on 2 Tone so it was a way of promoting the album?

Man From Wareika and Sea Cruise were also played live but were not recorded by The Specials, Sea Cruise was recorded for a BBC Session again to promote the single but that's just a guess? Smile
Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:54 pm