Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information New Madness Compilation

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
kennybacon
Special

Post subject: New Madness Compilation Reply with quote

For all of you that can't get enough of Madness compilations, there's a new 42 track album coming out in November.

As I would expect, there isn't a track on here that I don't own already, and I think it will be the same for most of you reading this.
A great album for someone 'new' to Madness or is just after a hits album though.

pre order is on pledge (yes pledge again) at a very reasonable price for the CD, although I don't know what the p&p is.
I guess it will be available elsewhere as well soon enough.

https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/madness-full-house?referrer=project8306
Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:32 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Harry
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone got me that for Xmas I'd play disc one a lot more than disc two.
I don't think I like anything the band did after Drip Fed Fred
Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:14 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

Yes, just what the world has been waiting for; yet another bloody Madness compilation album. Shocked Shocked

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:03 pm
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

There are not that many vinyl compilations - Complete which covers from The Prince to House of Fun, Utter which runs from Driving in my Car to Ghost Train, It's Madness which is mostly a mixture of A and B sides, Divine Madness which runs from The Prince to Ghost Train (but leaves out Sweetest Girl), and Total Madness which runs from The Prince to One Better Day and adds NW5 and Lovestruck.

So this is the most Complete vinyl release of all of their singles - but strangely swaps out 4 - no Sweetest Girl, Harder They Come, Shame and Scandal and Sorry and instead there is two early tracks: Bed and Breakfast Man, Madness, and two tracks from the Our House Musical: Sarah's Song, and Simple Equation.

So not quite a "hits" compilation nor a full set of single releases - and absolutely nothing new. I would have thought they could have managed at least one unreleased additional track like Last Rag and Bone Man.
PostPosted:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:59 am
Harry
Too Hot

Which band around now is the most similar to Madness? Before Madness were The Kinks and The Blockheads- but what band currently releasing records writes intelligent London pop songs that have a sense of humour?
It's an amazing run of great singles
Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:21 pm
kennybacon
Special

Harry wrote:
Which band around now is the most similar to Madness? Before Madness were The Kinks and The Blockheads- but what band currently releasing records writes intelligent London pop songs that have a sense of humour?

Blur might fit that category, influenced by the Kinks and possibly Madness, released latest album last year but had a fair gap as a group before that

Not anywhere near as well known as Blur - Buster Shuffle come to mind too and I think they are still making records, and Too Many Crooks - though it is a few years since they released anything they are still around I think
Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:45 pm
Harry
Too Hot

I remember being shocked at how Madness-esq Blur's video for "Park Life" was.

I guess it's hard for new bands to get the exposure that Madness enjoyed - there's no John Peel to champion you and no Top of the Pops appearance to say you've arrived. There isn't even a magazine you can get on the cover of (Mojo and Uncut are only interested in Bowie and The Beatles etc)
Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:09 pm
kennybacon
Special

Harry wrote:
I remember being shocked at how Madness-esq Blur's video for "Park Life" was.

I guess it's hard for new bands to get the exposure that Madness enjoyed - there's no John Peel to champion you and no Top of the Pops appearance to say you've arrived. There isn't even a magazine you can get on the cover of (Mojo and Uncut are only interested in Bowie and The Beatles etc)

You just have to take a look at the charts to realise it is no longer the domain of 'proper' bands that still do things in the old way - i.e playing smaller venues and building a support, striving to get a record out, there's plenty of decent bands out there, but commercially the time isn't right for them. Nowadays bands tend to make a chart entry on the week of release due to pre sales and drop out completely the next week.
Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:47 am
chemode
Too Hot

Too Many Crooks
Cartoon Violence
Buster Shuffle
Rough Kutz.....

A few good bands there. Cool
Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:33 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
Imani
Too Hot

Harry wrote:

I don't think there is one, Harry. There's a much heavier American influence on British culture and its music now. That influence was there during the time of The Kinks and Ian Dury and others before, but their music was always more informed by English traditions and the things immediately around them.

Also as Kenny was saying, the whole nature of getting music to people has changed.
Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:49 pm
Harry
Too Hot

Ian Dury said the reason "Hit Me" got to number one and the other songs didn't is that they weren't as good. He had a quote about no matter what you look like or how old you are if you write a song that's good enough it jumps off the table and runs down the street and makes itself a hit.
I was listening to the harmonica version of Yesterday's Men (from a Madness compilation) the other day and I thought - as good as they are at what they do - is there any way Too Many Crooks, Cartoon Violence, Buster Shuffle, or Rough Kutz would ever come up with a song like that? I like to think that if they did, even if it wasn't a hit for them, somehow the song would be made famous just through word of mouth
Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:25 am
kennybacon
Special

Harry wrote:
Ian Dury said the reason "Hit Me" got to number one and the other songs didn't is that they weren't as good. He had a quote about no matter what you look like or how old you are if you write a song that's good enough it jumps off the table and runs down the street and makes itself a hit.
I was listening to the harmonica version of Yesterday's Men (from a Madness compilation) the other day and I thought - as good as they are at what they do - is there any way Too Many Crooks, Cartoon Violence, Buster Shuffle, or Rough Kutz would ever come up with a song like that? I like to think that if they did, even if it wasn't a hit for them, somehow the song would be made famous just through word of mouth

I would say that there are a number of tracks that I consider as brilliant songs (obviously that is open to each individuals opinion) not necessarily from the bands mentioned but in general that have never become well known tunes, and I would say it is because the band aren't well known in the first place and never will be - because their support isn't big enough, the music they play is not currently in vogue and they are not commercially promoted to compete in the mainstream nowadays.
We could look at another hit for Madness 'The Return of the Los Palmas 7' which incidentally reached no7 in the UK Singles chart, was the seventh single from the band of seven, remained in the singles chart for 7 weeks and should of been on the album '7' to complete the set!
In my opinion - Los Palmas should of been an album track at best, maybe a quirky B side - but definitely not a single, but it was a top ten hit because Madness had built a strong following at that stage, were well promoted on TV and Radio and music mags and people like me would buy anything they put out as a loyal fan - they had made it and could get away with releasing the odd 'iffy' single and it would be a success.
Different times, different music now, different artists (and mainly not bands) are in vogue these days - so few bands now could release a poor single and it would still be successful, only bands that have already made it could do it - Coldplay spring to mind, release it and it will be bought.
I am not 'dissing' Madness in any way and am still a fan and follower to this day, but just don't think many bands today have the same opportunity to make it in the same way Madness did due to changing trends.
You need to be playing the right music at the right time, and the time is definitely not now if you are a new (Mod/ Punk/ Ska) band, even new 'indie' bands struggle now because the bubble has burst on that too - would the Arctic Monkeys make it if they were just starting now? hypothetical question, but bands that make it generally do so on the back of a music wave, Madness were an integral part of the two tone/ ska wave and made a long lasting career from that- but for a band today playing similar music - they can only hope that the popular music tide turns and another wave comes in, then they have a chance of being on it and making it.

Discussion, debate - there's still life in this forum yet Very Happy
Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:20 pm
Imani
Too Hot

Even if you look at the humour in Madness songs and videos, you can see it in the comedy that was popular at the time when they were young, from Monty Python to Benny Hill and probably a lot in between. There isn't anything comparable in today's comedy, not on mainstream television anyway.

The singer Joe Jackson was saying in his memoir how everything is so self-consciously "cool" in music, contrived coolness. It was published in 1999 and I still think it applies.

I'd be really surprised if a new band playing purely in the two tone/mod/new wave style had the same impact. Times have moved on and young musicians are going to reflect their time. For one thing, hip hop, dance and modern r&b has been the main soundtrack for the past couple of decades. So a new band would probably reflect those influences. Nothing wrong with that per se, if the songs are strong.
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:36 am
Harry
Too Hot

You do hear old sit com writers say back in their day the BBC would allow them to make more than one series or that the heads of BBC were more "hands off". When Mike Leigh and Alison Steadman made "Abigail's Party" it was watched by millions. It's hard to think of how anyone would get that kind of audience watching a comedy play with no one famous in it.
Liam from Oasis has been shifting lots of units lately - as far as I know that's mostly because of reviews and TV appearances - if he were a new kid starting out it would be a different story. Maybe the best way for a new band would be to collaborate with someone who has already made it like Liam - start of as a backing band or support act or song writer. Maybe they'd get their foot in the door and could then build up to an appearance on Later?
Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:44 am
Imani
Too Hot

Harry wrote:
You do hear old sit com writers say back in their day the BBC would allow them to make more than one series or that the heads of BBC were more "hands off". When Mike Leigh and Alison Steadman made "Abigail's Party" it was watched by millions. It's hard to think of how anyone would get that kind of audience watching a comedy play with no one famous in it.
Liam from Oasis has been shifting lots of units lately - as far as I know that's mostly because of reviews and TV appearances - if he were a new kid starting out it would be a different story. Maybe the best way for a new band would be to collaborate with someone who has already made it like Liam - start of as a backing band or support act or song writer. Maybe they'd get their foot in the door and could then build up to an appearance on Later?

Comedy was far less controlled, yes. Maybe because for a long time the BBC didn't take it very seriously and gave relatively small budgets to make comedy programmes. Though it meant that a show could build its audience more organically, much like bands that would play in little pubs and clubs as a way of getting known.

In more recent years, everything is expected to be a hit from the word go. That goes for new comedy, new music, and don't even talk about football managers.

There's a great interview David Bowie did with Paxman in 1999, where he was saying even then that music meant less culturally because it's so easily accessible. This was before the real rise of the internet, which he predicted would make music no different to 'running water'.

What goes with this is the death of celebrity, which isn't altogether a bad thing. So for a new band or solo artist starting out, they're in a world where music is much less of a badge of identity. When it boils down to it, there's far less money in it even for groups or artists that make it big. Unless they license their tunes to video games or tv adverts, which we're seeing more and more.
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:28 am