Information Worst Madness single ?

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » Upcoming Events   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

Post subject: Worst Madness single ? Reply with quote

With another Madness comp coming out, l wondered which single they have released was peoples least favourite ? Mine would be Sweetest girl (lts not on the new comp, which is no bad thing as far as l think). Never liked Scritti Politti anyway, or the lead singer Green Gartside, so when Madness released the cover of Sweetest girl, l disliked it from the start. Never play it,always skip it if it comes up,on the odd cd it is on. I dont know who out of the band had the great ldea of covering it, but lm sure most of them wished they hadnt, because it doesnt appear much on cds, or in their live set, in fact l cant remember when it ever appeared in their live sets ?. At the time, if they had to do a cover, surely there was a great old ska / reggae track they could have done justice to.
So thats my least favourite Madness single, whats everybody elses ?....
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:57 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Trojan
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

I never liked Shut Up and still don't. It was released at a time when Madness could do no wrong with singles, but this one, for me, stands out as a real stinker. Madness 7 is a great album apart from this track. It just irritates the hell out of me. Apart from that Madness well and truly deserve their title as a Great Singles Band.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:51 pm
JUKESKA
Special

Its out of “Sweetest Girl” and “Waiting for the Ghost Train” for me.

I remember my mate singing “The shittest song in all the world” which made me laugh, and we kept singing it to ourselves for days and often comment on it, now. Because of that I would opt for “Waiting for the Ghost Train”. Maybe if he’d sang “Shitting on the Ghost Train” it could have avoided its last position. To be honest I can’t even remember how it sounds, just proves how unforgettable it was.

As I stated in a post in the “New Madness Compilation” thread, for me, nearly all post Absolutely material required playing a number of times and became growers, but “Sweetest Girl” and “Waiting for the Ghost Train” were just awful, “Tomorrows Just Another day” was another that was pretty hard to get into.

Some of the newer stuff (since reformation) has been pretty poor also, but I don’t waste my time on it, I don’t have time for them to grow on me, what with so much new music available, including discovering vintage 60’s stuff on youtube.
PostPosted:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:15 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Harry
Too Hot

I'm not especially fond of Baggy Trousers now but I enjoyed it when I was a child. I can't listen to "One Step Beyond" anymore either.
I think they should have got Elvis Costello and Jerry Dammers to produce Mad Not Mad.
The original version of Sweetest Girl (by Green) is lovely but the Madness cover is disappointing.
I think Waiting For The Ghost Train is ok - I like the trumpet solo and the lyrics are interesting but it wasn't a great one to go out on.
I think their best original song is Our House and their best cover is It Must Be Love. I think Driving In My Car would by great as a jingle / car ad but it's hard to listen to all the way through so I'd say that was their worst single. I disliked all of those Suggs singles like I'm Off On Holiday and thought albums such as Liberty of Norton Folgate were massively overrated by the critics. Are The Children Happy? by Cathal Smyth is fantastic
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:35 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Harry wrote:
I'm not especially fond of Baggy Trousers now but I enjoyed it when I was a child. I can't listen to "One Step Beyond" anymore either.
I think they should have got Elvis Costello and Jerry Dammers to produce Mad Not Mad.
The original version of Sweetest Girl (by Green) is lovely but the Madness cover is disappointing.
I think Waiting For The Ghost Train is ok - I like the trumpet solo and the lyrics are interesting but it wasn't a great one to go out on.
I think their best original song is Our House and their best cover is It Must Be Love. I think Driving In My Car would by great as a jingle / car ad but it's hard to listen to all the way through so I'd say that was their worst single. I disliked all of those Suggs singles like I'm Off On Holiday and thought albums such as Liberty of Norton Folgate were massively overrated by the critics. Are The Children Happy? by Cathal Smyth is fantastic

That's an interesting, and in hindsight perfectly valid, view of Driving in My Car: it would have made a great jingle, but it pushes it's luck as a single.

As for Are The Children Happy? you would have to a heart of stone not to laugh at that song.

Quote from Chas:

“I feel like an artist for the first time. When I’ve played Are the Children Happy? to people – cab drivers, gangsters, hedge fund managers – they’ve all cried, they’ve all come back to me with their own family stories. It’s taught me that there is strength in vulnerability, that life is a journey. There is so much beauty all around us, you know? So much potential. When I sit on a plane and hear a child cry, I don’t hear fractious, I hear the music of life.”

Shocked

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/oct/04/chas-smash-after-the-madness-going-solo :

PostPosted:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:06 pm
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

l had another think on weak singles, and ld say My Girl 2 was pretty awful. Why they felt the need to do a follow up to a great single like that lve no idea. It was throw away l thought. Could have just been an album track with a different title.
Talking of jingles and car adds for Driving in my car, wasnt In the City used for car adds in Japan or something ? I seem to remember it being an add. I may be wrong though, my memory plays tricks on me sometimes nowadays ! To be honest, l always felt it would have been a better A side than Cardiac arrest.
Talking of flip sides, l always liked the B side of It must be love. Shadow on the house. I played it a lot at the time of release, and it really grew on me, still like it now.
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:13 am
Trojan
Too Hot

If we are talking b sides then 'Crying Shame' and 'Don't Quote Me on That' are the singles that never were, well apart from the 12" promo of the latter that is.

PostPosted:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:52 am
kennybacon
Special

bluearmy78 wrote:

Talking of jingles and car adds for Driving in my car, wasnt In the City used for car adds in Japan or something ? I seem to remember it being an add. I may be wrong though, my memory plays tricks on me sometimes

Yes - In The City was used to promote the Honda City car
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:48 pm
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

Crying shame is a great B side, had forgotten about that. I always liked all the tracks on the Work, rest and play EP.
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:46 am