Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information 2 Tone and today's Britain

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » The Specials   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Imani
Too Hot

Post subject: 2 Tone and today's Britain Reply with quote

On the cusp of 40 years since the first 2 Tone record, how relevant is 2 Tone to today's Britain? Could a modern-day example of it occur, created by new artists?

I think the original movement that emerged will always have an appeal to a section of the younger generation that discover it. The way the music made everyone welcome regardless of background is one of its enduring great qualities.

However, there's no question that things have changed somewhat since the late 1970s.

Racism and sexism are still around, but much of the overt stuff has been addressed. Things aren't as 'black and white', literally and figuratively speaking.

Message wise: If we look at the music alone, hard-edged, confrontational social commentary is far less prevalent, due to political correctness.

There are no real subcultures now, no alternative voices, and music is less cherished; it has become "like running water" (to coin a phrase by Bowie) with streaming and downloading.

Most of the British working-class voted Brexit, with immigration being a major factor. Just stating a fact, not judging anyone.

The post 9/11 world right up to ISIS today has resulted in tensions between the muslim community and wider community.

I also think the situation with Israel and Palestine has become more of a factor in a way that it wasn't in the late 70s.

So there's a number of musical and non-musical factors that would mitigate against a modern-day equivalent to 2 Tone. Just putting this out there as a few random 'bullet points'.
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:52 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Harry
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting if there was a pop group of young Jewish Transgender musicians singing about why they love Israel and hate Jeremy Corbyn.
One of the many things I loved about The Specials is that they seemed like a gang from Coventry. When they sang about girls from area 3 who worked in a chicken factory or trying to stop or start a fight in a Coventry nite klub it was like a different world you could escape to.
It's good when someone comes along and it feels like a new voice. I think a front person of a man should sound like they've got a chip on their sholder and that they're up for a ruck / demand to be listened to
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:34 pm
Imani
Too Hot

Harry wrote:
It would be interesting if there was a pop group of young Jewish Transgender musicians singing about why they love Israel and hate Jeremy Corbyn.
One of the many things I loved about The Specials is that they seemed like a gang from Coventry. When they sang about girls from area 3 who worked in a chicken factory or trying to stop or start a fight in a Coventry nite klub it was like a different world you could escape to.
It's good when someone comes along and it feels like a new voice. I think a front person of a man should sound like they've got a chip on their sholder and that they're up for a ruck / demand to be listened to

Maybe such a group already exists, Harry. Smile

They reflected their environment for sure, yet things are now so different for today's youth, which can be illustrated in one example.

I was thinking about the late Cyrille Regis and the era that he, Brendan Batson and Cunningham came to fame, which was pretty much at the same time as 2 Tone was launched.

Those guys got an onslaught of racial abuse even worse than the black members of the 2 tone bands faced at times. Today in grime music, the 'n word' is used in the same way as I might call someone 'mate'. What would Cyrille Regis had made of it all. Confused

This is why I have to ask where the 2 Tone movement sits in today's society.
Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:48 pm
Harry
Too Hot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-GB&gl=GB&v=XmTV62mE1PA
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:45 pm
Harry
Too Hot

The Specials would never have happened without The Sex Pistols and The Clash. There have been bands like Frankie Goes To Hollywood, The Beastie Boys, Manic Street Preachers who.. for 15 minutes were like the Pistols to their generation. The Stone Roses acted all punky on The Late show once. They were booked to play Wogan but Terry cancelled saying he didn't want to be the next Bill Grundy. Now there is no Wogan, Or Top of the Pops or NME or John Peel. I could imagine a pro Israel, transgender band performing a song on The Andrew Marr show that attacked Ahed Tamimi show and it being exciting in a Sex Pistols type way. When Germain Greer said Trans people aren't women because they don't know what it's like to have a smelly vagina is asking for a response.
This pro Palestine/human rights song is very worthy but it's not exciting to listen to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9MKHFXhYLI
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:12 pm
Imani
Too Hot

I hear what you're saying Harry but with things like Youtube, even an artist disrupting Andrew Marr's show as you described would be viewed as a publicity stunt.

I'm not a fan of Germaine Greer though I also think she's entitled to express her opinion. It's a slippery slope when we start censoring people we disagree with, because it doesn't always solve matters. It can sometimes create even more extremes by sending things underground.

The only time that individuals or groups should put their foot down is when someone is advocating violence or any other type of aggression.

I wouldn't wish to return to the past but it seems things have gone to the opposite extreme, where there are people just looking for things to be offended by, especially in the areas of race, religion and gender, sometimes the most innocuous thing. In that kind environment, no-one can express anything that challenges the norms, whether it's musically or in other spheres.

Keeping this in context: The Special AKA did War Crimes which was hugely critical of Israel. If that song was newly released, I'd be willing to bet that there'd be accusations of antisemitism today, which is sad.
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:34 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

For me the only group today which is doing or saying anything radical are The Sleaford Mods. Who would have thought that two middle aged blokes with a laptop would be carrying the baton for the true spirt of ’76 punk?

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:35 pm
Harry
Too Hot

Trojan wrote:
For me the only group today which is doing or saying anything radical are The Sleaford Mods. Who would have thought that two middle aged blokes with a laptop would be carrying the baton for the true spirt of ’76 punk?

Iggy Pop is a big fan of The Sleaford Mods. Friends have been to see them live and raved about them. What do you think is their best track so far?
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:41 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

Harry wrote:
Trojan wrote:

Iggy Pop is a big fan of The Sleaford Mods. Friends have been to see them live and raved about them. What do you think is their best track so far?

So many great songs it's difficult to narrow it done to just one, but Job Seeker sums the band up pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEYYI1ii0AU

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:34 pm