Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information The English Beat Starring Dave Wakeling / New Album

Post new topic Reply to topic
TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Nutty
Gangster
Gangster


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 326
Location: Scottish Borders

Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Yep agree with you Kenny Laughing Great album which gets better every play Cool Worth the wait if you didnt pledge Laughing Laughing


Nutty Wink Cool
_________________
Fu!k Art Lets Dance
PostPosted:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:57 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
nite_klub_man
Special


Joined: 20 Feb 2009
Posts: 709
Location: Port Seton,East Lothian

Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly good album. Wasn't sure what to expect, but i like it!
_________________
Bouncers bouncing through the night
Trying to stop or start a fight


https://www.facebook.com/2ToneCollection/

PostPosted:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:34 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face


Joined: 20 Dec 2012
Posts: 176
Location: England

Post subject: Reply with quote

lts ok, not worth nearly a 4 year wait, wont get caught like that ever again.
_________________
The past is our knowledge, the present our mistake and the future we always leave too late.
PostPosted:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:43 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
kennybacon
Special


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 806
Location: Barrow

Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it is an alright album, not going to knock it or rave about it.
Has a summery, bouncy beat about it, I definitely would not call it a Ska album (which is the genre on the download).

Noticed it never made the UK top 100 last Friday, 4 years to build up all those pre sales and not made the charts - must of been all those refunds he forced people to take. Incidentally, he forced me to take a refund for a signed CD and promised I would still get it... still hasn't arrived funnily enough.
_________________
Bernie Rhodes Knows - Dont Argue
PostPosted:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:43 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face


Joined: 20 Dec 2012
Posts: 176
Location: England

Post subject: Reply with quote

He really has spoilt his reputation with people. He got into a few arguments on Pledge over it, wasnt very nice about some of it either. Was really quite abrupt with people, who were quite valid in asking what the hell was going on.
What annoys me, and although its only a couple of quid, but l could have bought it cheaper on Amazon if l hadnt pledged, and still got an auto rip of it as well. So the download and cd from Pledge proved more expensive in the long run. Letting fans down again there l think.
_________________
The past is our knowledge, the present our mistake and the future we always leave too late.
PostPosted:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:51 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
kennybacon
Special


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 806
Location: Barrow

Post subject: Reply with quote

bluearmy78 wrote:
He really has spoilt his reputation with people. He got into a few arguments on Pledge over it, wasnt very nice about some of it either. Was really quite abrupt with people, who were quite valid in asking what the hell was going on.
What annoys me, and although its only a couple of quid, but l could have bought it cheaper on Amazon if l hadnt pledged, and still got an auto rip of it as well. So the download and cd from Pledge proved more expensive in the long run. Letting fans down again there l think.


I pledged again a few weeks before release for the signed album artwork and that came with a download of the album, I was pretty sure he wouldn't send me the signed CD he promised. I have emailed pledge to chase that up just to be an annoyance to him.

To be fair to him, he did look after people who didn't criticise him for the delays with guest passes to gigs, but if you were disgruntled and looking for answers - he treat you like you were a trouble maker and gave it a 'if you don't like it, get a refund' attitude.
_________________
Bernie Rhodes Knows - Dont Argue
PostPosted:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:49 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
chemode
Too Hot


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 1998
Location: Kent

Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a horrible man.

I had the nerve to complain and he sent me a private message:

"get a refund, record is not for you...
how long did your last one take mr rudie?! x"

I replied:
"I'll take the refund seeing as it will be on general sale before I receive it.
Christ, Roger and Pauline treat their fans better.
Having been a fan for about 40 years I expected better but you are a disappointment."
Cool
_________________
I got one art "O" level, it did nothing for me !!
PostPosted:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:17 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
kennybacon
Special


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 806
Location: Barrow

Post subject: Reply with quote

chemode wrote:
He's a horrible man.

I had the nerve to complain and he sent me a private message:

"get a refund, record is not for you...
how long did your last one take mr rudie?! x"

I replied:
"I'll take the refund seeing as it will be on general sale before I receive it.
Christ, Roger and Pauline treat their fans better.
Having been a fan for about 40 years I expected better but you are a disappointment."
Cool


What did he mean by 'how long did your last one take'?

He is a narcissist, can't handle a bit of justified flak and turns on anyone who gives it to him - there are a few of us on here that have been on the receiving end from him. Pisses me off that he has a dig a people and then puts a x on the end as if it is meant light heartedly, but clearly it is not or he wouldn't be forcing them into taking refunds.
The pledgers who said they didn't mind the wait and it will be worth it in the end were rewarded for their loyalty, because this feeds his narcissistic personality.
He has shown throughout that he is unable to deal with criticism and just hold his hands up and apologise.

A bit of a Donald Trump is Dave.
_________________
Bernie Rhodes Knows - Dont Argue
PostPosted:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:23 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Sugarman
Too Hot


Joined: 10 Dec 2008
Posts: 6026
Location: Sun Valley

Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never in any hurry for the album after I paid for my copy a few years ago because I knew it would eventually be released and now it has, that's all that matters now. though if it was Terry Hall the long wait would have killed me LOL Smile
_________________
I'm having bags of fun
PostPosted:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:42 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
bombscare79
Special


Joined: 15 Jun 2009
Posts: 606
Location: BELFAST

Post subject: Reply with quote

kennybacon wrote:
chemode wrote:
He's a horrible man.

I had the nerve to complain and he sent me a private message:

"get a refund, record is not for you...
how long did your last one take mr rudie?! x"

I replied:
"I'll take the refund seeing as it will be on general sale before I receive it.
Christ, Roger and Pauline treat their fans better.
Having been a fan for about 40 years I expected better but you are a disappointment."
Cool


What did he mean by 'how long did your last one take'?

He is a narcissist, can't handle a bit of justified flak and turns on anyone who gives it to him - there are a few of us on here that have been on the receiving end from him. Pisses me off that he has a dig a people and then puts a x on the end as if it is meant light heartedly, but clearly it is not or he wouldn't be forcing them into taking refunds.
The pledgers who said they didn't mind the wait and it will be worth it in the end were rewarded for their loyalty, because this feeds his narcissistic personality.
He has shown throughout that he is unable to deal with criticism and just hold his hands up and apologise.

A bit of a Donald Trump is Dave.


Yeah Trump cant sing either i hear....... His performance on Jools at new year was a disgrace, an absolute disgrace.
Needs to retire or pick a different career.
_________________
Naked from your bath, you go naked to your bed, but i cant stop the hatred running through my...... f * * k i n g .. head.
PostPosted:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:49 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Trojan
Too Hot


Joined: 25 Aug 2002
Posts: 2281
Location: Area 3

Post subject: Reply with quote

bombscare79 wrote:


Yeah Trump cant sing either i hear....... His performance on Jools at new year was a disgrace, an absolute disgrace.
Needs to retire or pick a different career.


Along with Pauline Black, I would have put Dave Wakeling down as the best vocalist of the 2 Tone lot. I don't know if he had a cold or something but I agree he sounded well off the mark on Jools Holland.

I listened to the new album on Spotify and it's not a bad effort at all. The first 6 or so tracks are much stronger than the rest, but still worth a spin.
_________________
Richard Eddington is innocent.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:15 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Imani
Too Hot


Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 1564
Location: Bradford

Post subject: Reply with quote

It feels more like a Dave Wakeling solo record than a Beat one. Or a General Public-type of album.

As much as music changes with time and circumstance, I miss the unorthodox approach to music that Shuffle and Andy Cox brought to the Beat's table. Though I think Roger's version is a little nearer to the original essence.

Sorry to anyone if that's seen as a bit reactionary and a bit 'if only', but just my honest thoughts.


Last edited by Imani on Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:00 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
chemode
Too Hot


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 1998
Location: Kent

Post subject: Reply with quote

kennybacon wrote:
chemode wrote:
He's a horrible man.

I had the nerve to complain and he sent me a private message:

"get a refund, record is not for you...
how long did your last one take mr rudie?! x"

I replied:
"I'll take the refund seeing as it will be on general sale before I receive it.
Christ, Roger and Pauline treat their fans better.
Having been a fan for about 40 years I expected better but you are a disappointment."
Cool


What did he mean by 'how long did your last one take'?

.


I have no idea. He's a disagreeable little man.
_________________
I got one art "O" level, it did nothing for me !!
PostPosted:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:13 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT
Post new topic Reply to topic
TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 

Jump to:  
Key
  You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Community powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group :: Theme & Graphics by Daz