Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Encore - the new LP due in February

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » The Specials  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
done donald
Ska Face
Ska Face

Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the CD is selling on Amazon today only for £4.99.

Dave Wakelings CD is £3.99 to Prime customers and you won't have to wait over 2 years for it!

Jim
It’s A Wonderful Life. It’s a wonderful film, but the more I watch it the more I want Potter to succeed. Not least when that lot up the road come out into the street every New Year’s Eve, drunk on Ptolemy’s hock, hugging each other and going “Hee-haw, hee-haw”…
PostPosted:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:38 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

Its made number 1 in the album chart. Now that is pretty impressive, l thought maybe top 40, but well done to the guys. Shows you how relevant they are 40 years on !
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:54 am
StevieB
Special

Great album. Wasn't sure what to expect but it really grows on you.
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:14 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

The Official UK Top 40 Albums Chart (08/02/2019)

The Specials Are Number One Smile

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/albums
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:45 am
Imani
Too Hot

Post subject: (Re-posted - it was on the wrong thread before.) Reply with quote

The 'Depression' track. That one musically has more of the Specials DNA about it, as well as In The Studio. A reggae in 5/4 time (Think Dave Brubeck 'Take 5', Jethro Tull 'Living In The Past'). War Crimes was also in this time signature, but this one on the new album has more of a swing and a groove about it.

Nice one.
PostPosted:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:33 am
Sugarman
Too Hot

I was lucky enough to get a huge promo poster of the new album in Tower Records on Friday Very Happy
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:17 am
kennybacon
Special

Well done to the band and all those involved in marketing the album for getting to No.1 Very Happy

Whether you like the album or not, it shows that The Specials brand name is still big enough to get people reaching into their pockets to purchase new material.

Hats off to the marketing team too, the album was well advertised in the run up and first week of release. I was disappointed that signed copies weren't available as pre orders - but now see the genius behind offering signed copies after release up until the end of the first week (I noticed they were no longer available last Friday) - I ended up buying more than the one copy that I would of done because of this, as I am sure many others did too.
Also looking at Done Donalds post, reducing the price on Amazon on the last day of sales for the week would certainly of boosted last minute sales to get it to the number one slot.
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:16 am
Harry
Too Hot

There's something satisfying about The Specials beating Busted to the top spot.

Does anyone know how many copies of Encore they had to shift to get to number one?

They definitely released it at the right time. If they brought it out in December they'd have been competing against Christmas compilation albums etc.

A few years back (what's left of) Squeeze put out an album called Cradle to the Grave which got to number 12. That was their best chart position too. And last year Elvis Costello got to number 14 with Look Now. His Momofuku LP from 2008 (which featured the same musicians) only reached 112.
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:05 am
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Harry - I read somewhere that Encore sold 18,200 with Busted selling 17,136.
PostPosted:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:40 am
Pledge
Gangster
Gangster

HarryJ185 wrote:
Harry - I read somewhere that Encore sold 18,200 with Busted selling 17,136.

First off, I love the album. It grows with repeated plays. Is it a Terry Hall album? Not with those basslines! It is very close to the album I wish they would have made with Mushtaq's help after reforming. For every comment I read about Vote For Me sounding like Ghost Town, I think it is just as influenced by 'Alcohol' on 'In The Studio'. It's almost like they've said "here's what we could have done in 1982 if the pressure wasn't on". Two months of studio time has delivered this album that I thought would be tricky.

How do you write an album 'like' The Specials would have made? I think they've pulled it off. For me the only weak point is the production. Some songs fade out rather than ending. That is my only complaint about the album given the personnel on board. Yes a full band album and tour would have been great in 2008 or 2009 (or a lot earlier when Terry told me personally at an Ian Broudie gig in North London that a reunion was being brokered by Simon Jordan). But that didn't happen and can't happen.

'Encore' is as much The Specials' third album as 'In The Studio' was. Both shifted the sound on from 'Specials' as 'More Specials' had in 1980. I don't care whether everyone thinks the band name is fair or disingenuous. Frankly if it were issued and they toured as 'The Old Gits 3' I'd be happy if it made tickets easier to get. I am also happy as they now have three albums of material to play stuff from, although I'd be far happier if they were drawing on songs from the whole of Terry and Lynval's career (so five albums now) and the remainder of Terry's (so about 7 albums of material- 5 as primary member and 2 worth of co-writes and guest appearances on other people's stuff).

As it is I have no tickets for their upcoming tickets and can't afford any right now.

Anyway:

Here are the official figures (from Music Week) along with some interesting stats. At the end there's the first midweek flashes (Friday 8 00.00 to Sunday 10 Feb 23.59 ):

"In early sales flashes, new albums from Ian Brown and Busted led the way, but after a week of in-store signings and a social media campaign, Encore prevailed, albeit on sales of 18,199 copies (including 417 from sales-equivalent streams) – the lowest for a No.1 since Ed Sheeran’s Divide topped 76 weeks ago with 13,975.

The eighth studio album to bear The Specials’ name, Encore marks the 40th anniversary of their debut, is the first to feature principal original members Terry Hall, Lynval Golding and Horace Panter since 1980 and is their first charted album of new recordings since 1984, when In The Studio peaked at No.34.

It marks their first chart appearance since April 2008 CD/DVD compilation The Best Of The Specials debuted and peaked at No.28. It is the first Specials album to feature lead vocalist Hall since their second album, More Specials, which reached No.5 in 1980."

Far from falling away as the week went on, the sales overhauled those of Busted. Yes pre-orders got the album to number 2 in the midweeks, but exactly the same was the case for Busted's album which had a massive social media campaign to get it to number one. Like The Specials they had number one singles, but no number one album.

Sales between Monday and Friday saw it overhaul Busted. In the first midweek chart on Monday (sales from 00.00 on 1 Feb to 23.59 on 3 Feb) Busted were 567 ahead of The Specials' sales of 10,489. By Wednesday's midweek chart (Monday and Tuesday's sales added in) The Specials were now out front at number one by 689 sales with a total of 13,559.

The actual chart issued on 8 Feb (dated 14 Feb) saw The Specials at number one with 18,199 sales and a lead of 1063 over Busted.

Essentially the big difference will have been the mail order signed CDs which have caused so much (misplaced) ill-feeling on their Facebook page. When ordering you were told that the signed element would follow later after the CD. Cue hundreds of people complaining when they received a factory sealed CD.

Anyway back to Music Week's stats:

<snipped from the end of the last quote re More Specials No.5 in 1980,>

"... and the first studio album to bear The Specials’ name since 2001 covers set Conquering Ruler, a spectacular flop which, to this day, has amassed a mere 148 sales."

Is this correct? Is that album considered a Specials MK2 album? Looking at its credits on discogs suggests it is a Roger Lomas album with Nev, Horace and Roddy.

For my money that would be like one of the many times Nev has issued albums claiming to be the best of The Specials or the best of the Fun Boy Three or both.

But it is that sales figure which perplexes me. 148 copies sold in 17.5 years. And even more perplexing it has been reissued on vinyl fairly recently. Can there really be any demand for it? Looking at eBay etc. it would seem that several of the 148 who own it don't want to! Whether they will ever sell their copy is a moot point as they are listing them at ludicrous prices (up to £62.50 inc shipping) for a mint one!

Right now the midweek charts for the current week:

Encore is down to number 6 on the first midweek listing. The album ahead of it has sold 3,743 in the first time frame. No figure has been given for Encore so far. Hopefully it will manage at least one more week in the top 10...

Again those figures come from Music Week.
PostPosted:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:26 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
Imani
Too Hot

It often happens with certain artists when, due to their large fanbase, a release will chart very highly early on but unless a single (or the general buzz) catches on with other record buyers, the chart position falls. Whether that's the case with Encore has to be seen.
PostPosted:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:14 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Imani wrote:
It often happens with certain artists when, due to their large fanbase, a release will chart very highly early on but unless a single (or the general buzz) catches on with other record buyers, the chart position falls. Whether that's the case with Encore has to be seen.

I suspect that might be the case, a falling chart postion. Going by the sales figures quoted above it looks like after the initial surge of people buying the record the number sold will begin to drop off.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:25 am
Pledge
Gangster
Gangster

Trojan wrote:
Imani wrote:

I suspect that might be the case, a falling chart postion. Going by the sales figures quoted above it looks like after the initial surge of people buying the record the number sold will begin to drop off.

Currently number 7 in the midweek chart to close of play on Tuesday. The number 5 album has sold 6,044. This week's number one (in the midweeks) has already 'sold' 45,310. Clearly The Specials chose a good week to release their album to have a chance of the top spot. Album sales often vary wildly week by week and you rarely see two top artistes put their albums out in competition with each other.

I expect Encore to move on to about another 7,000 sales this week and be about number 8.
PostPosted:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:00 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
Imani
Too Hot

Trojan wrote:
Imani wrote:

I read a book written by Dennis Mundy who used to be a & r at Polydor and worked with The Jam and Style Council. He pointed out that this pattern of sales was often a feature of Style Council releases in their final couple of years. Which makes sense; they had a huge following but their later stuff wasn't as popular with record buyers in general as when they began.
PostPosted:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:20 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Imani wrote:

I read a book written by Dennis Mundy who used to be a & r at Polydor and worked with The Jam and Style Council. He pointed out that this pattern of sales was often a feature of Style Council releases in their final couple of years. Which makes sense; they had a huge following but their later stuff wasn't as popular with record buyers in general as when they began.

The Jam, along with The Police, were long rumoured to have been a band whose record company ‘hyped’ certain releases. That is having record sales artificially increased by making repeated purchases at specific record shops which were used to compile weekly sales for the charts. Pete Waterman has stated that the practice was quite widespread and almost an industry norm. Whilst visiting shops to plug records he noticed the same people coming into the shops and buying multiple copies of the same 7” singles. Then low and behold, that very same single had an increased chart position the following week.

PostPosted:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:06 pm
Imani
Too Hot

Trojan wrote:
Imani wrote:

The Jam, along with The Police, were long rumoured to have been a band whose record company ‘hyped’ certain releases. That is having record sales artificially increased by making repeated purchases at specific record shops which were used to compile weekly sales for the charts. Pete Waterman has stated that the practice was quite widespread and almost an industry norm. Whilst visiting shops to plug records he noticed the same people coming into the shops and buying multiple copies of the same 7” singles. Then low and behold, that very same single had an increased chart position the following week.

It wouldn't surprise me though it's also worth pointing out that not every hyped record became a hit. Not that it excuses the practise, of course.

In a variation on the 'hyping' theme, in the early 1970s the three original Wailers (pre-Island Records) arranged for a DJ in Jamaica to be kidnapped and demanded that the DJ played their music or else. It worked.
PostPosted:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:10 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

Great Night at The Specials in Dublin over the weekend, met up with Lynval, Horace, Nikolaj, Kenrick Rowe (Drums) steve Cradock and Saffiyah Khan. it was also nice to hear 7 songs from the new album Encore Smile

Official Video Smile

Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:47 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Nope, still don't like it (The 10 Commandments) . Way too contrived and pompous.

PostPosted:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:55 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

19/07/2019

Nice Reissue on Red Vinyl with bonus Live LP comes in a Gatefold Sleeve Smile

https://www.hhv.de/shop/en/item/specials-the-encore-limited-deluxe-red-vinyl-edition-667572?p=fj1DxQ
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:35 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Sugarman wrote:
19/07/2019

Nice Reissue on Red Vinyl with bonus Live LP comes in a Gatefold Sleeve Smile

https://www.hhv.de/shop/en/item/specials-the-encore-limited-deluxe-red-vinyl-edition-667572?p=fj1DxQ

I presume this is just a vinyl pressing of the CD release which came with an extra live disc?

PostPosted:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:53 pm