Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information The Specials / Ghost Town, Chalkie Davies 1981

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » The Specials  Goto page Previous  1, 2 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Imani
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

As great and as era-defining record as Ghost Town is, of late I've found it a bit wearing to see journalists/vloggers predictably saying the same things about it (inner city deprivation, Thatcher's Britain, riots etc). Much as those things ARE part and parcel of the song, it starts sounding like everyone has cut and pasted the same things from Wikipedia or wherever. I'd like the music to get more attention than it does, along with the message.

Also, since it's the song that defines The Specials, and usually the only one most casual listeners will know, in a way it doesn't fully represent them. It overshadows the fun and entertaining aspect of the band that had been there from the start, and catches them on the verge of splitting. Arguably they'd never have got the politics across in the first place if the music hadn't been fun for the kids who followed the band.

As I said, it's only recently that I've noticed this pattern. For good and for 'bad', the politics around Ghost Town are almost bigger than the song itself.
PostPosted:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:42 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message