Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Is everybody happy?

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Chat   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Harry
Too Hot

Post subject: Is everybody happy? Reply with quote

Does anyone think 2019 has been a good year for music?
Is anyone optimistic the country will elect the person they want to be Prime Minister in December?
Is anyone walking around with a spring in their step feeling in love with the world?
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:32 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
marigold
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

- I am wondering about all these 3x questions right now and Harry I would love to read what you would answer to each of these?

- you are getting ready for 2020 I think : )
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:56 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
marigold
Too Hot

- now I had to try and find what your title reminded me of....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWuID_7_-Mg

- this is how I found it : ) now you can sing it all night too.....

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/167074-songs-my-dad-used-to-singdays-of-the-week-lily-the-pink-etc/
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:07 am
Harry
Too Hot

I've never heard that particular track. I was thinking of the spoken intro of You're Wondering Now.
I have to get up early for work at weekends. I don't like waking up in the dark and going to work in the rain. A lot of people at work have colds and everyone seems a bit gloomy. So it's hard for me to feel particularly chipper.
I'm sad to say I think Boris Johnson will win the election and we'll get No Deal Brexit. If I thought about the implications of these two things for too long I'd probably start crying.
Music wise I liked Terry singing, All The Time in the World, and Morrissey singing It's Over and Back on the Chain Gang. Elvis Costello's You Shouldn't Look at Me That Way made me think there's still life in the old dog. I liked Shakespeare Sister's collaboration with Richard Hawley. The band, David Devant & His Spirit Wife are releasing a new album next month, I love of their new tracks, "He's A Rake". I was amused/ intrigued by Tyler The Creator's A Boy Is A Gun and I Think. Nick Cave's new album had some ok songs on it. I thought the Robbie Robertson/Ringo Starr and Friends version of The Weight was good. My friend Richard Lamy's new band, Lovers of The Fancy are great. I'm looking forward to Neil Innes's new LP. I got addicted to a song called, That's Just The Way I Feel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CtxkCmcsiw
But I don't think 2019 has been an amazing year for music. Do you?
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:57 am
marigold
Too Hot

Getting up in the dark - working Weekends when most friends are on another schedule is no fun.
Fellow workers sharing their colds is not noble it is selfish...and the uncertainty of a future with who knows what for a P.M. makes for a dismal and bleak day and future..... not to opt out for an alternative or answer what is one?

- they always say here "If you come with a problem also bring an answer" and I don't know what there is?

Thankfully the music part - your cool list Harry - tells me 2019 does have a lot of redemption - and I am here reading this because of your post.
Who ever thought someone could rhyme "Schadenfreude" in a song lyric - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CtxkCmcsiw so now I'm reading https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/15-songs-that-defined-david-bermans-heavy-magic/ and 2019 is going to be a good music year........
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:32 pm
Harry
Too Hot

The Conservative party's lead is down 4 points from last weekend. Boris and Co are on 41 % and Labour is up to 29 %. I know the chances of Labour winning the next election are unlikely but it's not impossible. We have to keep hope alive and do everything we can to get Johnson out of Number 10.
Last year saw Nev and Roddy Rude Rebels collaboration and the compilation of 'Specialized 8 - Check One 2 the Spirit of 79' and great live shows from most of the 2-Tone acts - I'm sure there's more good stuff to come
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:14 am
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

I tend to buy little current music. I bought Encore and Public Confidential this year. The only other 2019 release was the Pixies Beneath the Eyrie - sadly not the return to form I was hoping for).

I have been enjoying the Sparklehorse album It's A Wonderful Life from 2001 with lyrics like "I'm full of bees that died at sea" on the title track and "Will my pony recognise my voice in hell? Will he still be blind or do they go by smell" on More Yellow Birds.

Also got round to buying the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band album Part One from 1967 - been meaning to get it since I heard the song I Won't Hurt You in the film Isle of Dogs. There is an awful - by which I mean great - review of it on altrockchick.com with the question posed "Are we sure that Ed Wood did not produce this record?" It is a really mixed bag with some hard to listen to tracks but also some great yangly Byrds sounding songs here and there.

Terrible time for politics. We went through a decade of austerity. And for what? Now we have headlines like £50 million spent on cancelling ferry contracts (where one firm owned no ferries); decisions under May Govt meant £9.4 billion more was spent in 2019 than had been forecast in 2015; and before the announcement of £2.1 billion of brexit funding, £4.2 billion had already been allocated.

And the Tories try to make headlines about 20,000 extra police over the next 3 years - even though 21,000 police officers have been lost through cutbacks since 2010. And people then ask where all the officers will go given that six hundred of stations were closed during the austerity years.

It all beggars belief.
PostPosted:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:25 pm
Imani
Too Hot

I don't listen to a lot of current music, though the best thing I've heard from 2019 was released back in January. Fabulously Absolute by Joe Jackson, which was taken from his new album 'Fool'.

It's got all the verve of something that he might have done 40 years ago but also sounds musically and lyrically matured. A great commentary on the extremism and dogma of our times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnc1EasHvZg

I think Horace would enjoy the bass line on JJ's song. More than a hint of Real Rock in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebMv8dnRfMY
PostPosted:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:14 pm
Harry
Too Hot

HarryJ185 wrote:
I tend to buy little current music. I bought Encore and Public Confidential this year.
Also got round to buying the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band album Part One from 1967 - been meaning to get it since I heard the song I Won't Hurt You in the film Isle of Dogs. There is an awful - by which I mean great - review of it on altrockchick.com with the question posed "Are we sure that Ed Wood did not produce this record?" It is a really mixed bag with some hard to listen to tracks but also some great yangly Byrds sounding songs here and there.

I haven't got round to buying that Beat album. Curiously this year I became friends with the guy who took the photos of R.R. on the cover of that album.
I like all the Wes Anderson films I've seen but somehow I never got round to Isle of Dogs. I love the soundtracks to his movies so I'll investigate I Wont Hurt You
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:34 pm
Imani
Too Hot

I know that good music is being made but the bulk of what I hear in commercial popular music sounds so safe and samey. In the 'age of diversity'!

It's a really strange time. Kids now rarely go out and roam as previous generations did. They still love music but they don't have the same opportunities to go out and 'live it' - meet up with friends, go to youth clubs, dance, wear the clothes. Whereas their parents (and grandparents) are now the ones who go to gigs, go out dancing etc, whilst the kids are sat in front of a rectangular screen ... it's as though the roles have 'reversed'!

I wouldn't wish to go back to the pre-digital era but I think if music is being made and consumed without a great deal of social interaction, there has to be consequences for us, culturally and creatively.

Politics: I know I'm in the minority here but I've really no time for party politics. I have no trust in them because in my lifetime I've seen BOTH major parties create catastrophes in Britain. I refuse to believe the latest 'saviours' because they're no different to the previous ones. This is a well-established pattern. If you believe it can make a difference then by all means, cast your votes, though to say 'none of the above' is also a valid position to take.
PostPosted:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:24 am
chemode
Too Hot

I buy so much music, so much that i find it difficult to recommend anything in particular.... however, i picked up the two Soulsavers (featuring Dave Gahan) albums and have to say i was over whelmed. Sheer brilliance.

Dave Wakeling and Ranking Rogers albums are superb. I also buy a lot of compilation albums and am really enjoying the new Sparks 3 cd set, Past Tense.
Cool Cool
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:50 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
Harry
Too Hot

chemode wrote:
I buy so much music, so much that i find it difficult to recommend anything in particular.... however, i picked up the two Soulsavers (featuring Dave Gahan) albums and have to say i was over whelmed. Sheer brilliance.

Dave Wakeling and Ranking Rogers albums are superb. I also buy a lot of compilation albums and am really enjoying the new Sparks 3 cd set, Past Tense.
Cool Cool

I just had a listen to a couple of recent Dave Gahan things on youtube and I was impressed. He's been off my radar for years. I never knew he was making albums.
Do you know the name of a song by Sparks which is about a man called Harry who is jealous of his child being breast fed? I remember being amused by it years ago - I think someone put it on a compilation tape for me but I've never known the song's actual title
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:14 pm
Harry
Too Hot

Imani wrote:

Politics: I know I'm in the minority here but I've really no time for party politics. I have no trust in them because in my lifetime I've seen BOTH major parties create catastrophes in Britain. I refuse to believe the latest 'saviours' because they're no different to the previous ones. This is a well-established pattern. If you believe it can make a difference then by all means, cast your votes, though to say 'none of the above' is also a valid position to take.

Corbyn is far from perfect but never have we had leaders like Boris Johnson before - it's essential we get him out of number 10. If you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/12/campaigning-labour-britain-corbyn?fbclid=IwAR0KK3AjMkTCkPKsr6wmsCYa33-8IMMPsymcAzAN8G2Ls274VpmSUEPKn_k
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:57 pm