Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information The Selecter

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
kennybacon
Special

Post subject: The Selecter Reply with quote

went to The Selecter on Friday, with Rhoda Dakar doing a supporting DJ set.
Pauline left the stage towards the end of the Selecter set, and Rhoda came on and did 'Ruder than you' and 'Do Rocksteady' with the band.
Pauline then returned, and Rhoda remained and they did a few more Selecter songs and a tribute to Ranking Roger, singing 'Cant get used to losing you'.
Really good gig with a great feeling of Two Tone unity Very Happy
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:30 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Harry
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post.
I saw Rhoda support Horace Panter's ska collective band a few years back and thought she was great on stage
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:13 am
Halfy
Special

I bumped into her at a gig a few years back. She was drinking a cup of tea. How refreshingly rock n roll.
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:06 am
Rude Boy
Too Hot

I went to Brum on Saturday night. Great gig, no piss take on ticket prices and a thoroughly enjoyable night. Roll on the 50th anniversary tour Very Happy
PostPosted:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:51 pm
done donald
Ska Face
Ska Face

Fkn tried typing this up twice and fkn lost my review twice!

In short excellent night in Belfast.

Great to hear Tell Me Whats Wrong, The Whisper, Madeness and Cant Get Used To Losing You. Also, great to see and hear Rhoda, next time what about Easy Life!!

Great to bump into a couple of folks I haven't seen in ages (Ricky - Man at C&A on here), Cormac (Cormska on here), wee Sharon, Albert and big gay Dave (not on here).

A 1 hour 40 minute set list is great value

Downside - brass section trimmed down to just Neil Pyzer on sax, but that's the only gripe.

Cant wait til they come back

Oh yes, Pauline and Gaps looked dapper as usual.

Those of you still to see them on this tour, good luck and enjoy - nobody knows how much longer they (or we) will be around to enjoy these nights....

Jim
It’s A Wonderful Life. It’s a wonderful film, but the more I watch it the more I want Potter to succeed. Not least when that lot up the road come out into the street every New Year’s Eve, drunk on Ptolemy’s hock, hugging each other and going “Hee-haw, hee-haw”…
PostPosted:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:55 am
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

I was there on Friday too. The Selecter were excellent. Highlights for me were Celebrate The Bullet, See Them A Come, Too Much Pressure / Pressure Drop but the whole show they put on was brilliant with Pauline interacting in between most of the songs.

The Limelight 1 was not packed to capacity so I hope it was still profitable enough that they will return in the future. Although from a personal point of view it made it easy to get close to the stage.

My only - very minor - complaint would be that Train to Skaville sounded better when they previously played the Limelight 2 - that time it was closer to the 12", a really nice dub version.

Loved seeing Rhoda live for the first time. And Can't Get Used To Losing You was a very fitting tribute to Roger.

I was waiting to get a copy of the 40th Anniversary Rhoda Sings The Bodysnatchers multi coloured vinyl, when the person in front of me told her he was not able to buy her music anywhere. Rhoda replied "Have you never heard of the Internet, mate?" She also did a brilliant Belfast accent.
PostPosted:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:41 pm
done donald
Ska Face
Ska Face

Mike

I forgot about See Them A Come - great hearing that again too. I loved the setlist this time round, minor gripes aside re certain song arrangements it's great they are still going, still releasing quality albums and still looking and sounding great. Long may they continue

40th Anniversary Rhoda sings The Bodysnatchers album? It only came out about 2 years ago, me thinks someone's having a laugh. Don't fall for it mate. haha... She does seem a lovely girl though, I bought a couple of her items on the night and got a photo with her.

Jim
It’s A Wonderful Life. It’s a wonderful film, but the more I watch it the more I want Potter to succeed. Not least when that lot up the road come out into the street every New Year’s Eve, drunk on Ptolemy’s hock, hugging each other and going “Hee-haw, hee-haw”…
PostPosted:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:45 am