Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Vinnie.
Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:37 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
mangeire
Gangster
Gangster

Sorry but I think that's dreadful. I know it's "Lip Up Fatty" but the likes of this just feeds in to the view that 'ska' is comedy music to many out there. Just look at that cartoon backdrop...I couldn't look at it beyond 30 seconds
PostPosted:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:48 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

mangeire wrote:
Sorry but I think that's dreadful. I know it's "Lip Up Fatty" but the likes of this just feeds in to the view that 'ska' is comedy music to many out there. Just look at that cartoon backdrop...I couldn't look at it beyond 30 seconds

Well done for reaching 30 seconds......

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:34 pm
Imani
Too Hot

Hmm. Close your eyes and it could be what you hear when you walk past any karaoke bar. 'Walk past' being the operative phrase.

Ronnie Barker's spoof on Bad Manners is actually much more authentically performed. Apart from the appalling voice (well, it was 1981 light entertainment), musically you can tell the homework's been done - sounds like Ben E Wriggle and No Respect, not the most obvious of their songs to send up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP-ocYfy-po
PostPosted:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:48 pm
Harry
Too Hot

The Ronnie Barker spoof is brilliant. I love the Not The Nine O' Clock News take on The Specials too.

Vinnie Jones's wife died of skin cancer a week or so ago. Apparently it was her who had persuaded him to go on the T.V. show in the first place so he did it because he knew that's what she would have wanted him to do.
I like serious artistes like Leonard Cohen but I also like silly stuff.
Bad Manners were a "Fuck Art, Let's Dance" type of band who were there to cheer you up.
I thought Vinnie was entertaining and he made me smile
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:24 pm
Imani
Too Hot

I like a bit of comedy in music but never took to Bad Manners at first, the first couple of singles. It was like a Grumbleweeds or Worzels approach to 2 Tone but with less cider involved (possibly).

Got into them more on their second album, but Gosh It's is their best. There's a bit of Monty Python about the original sleeve notes. They showed their musical ability but the humour was there. Also it wasn't just formulaic ska; it had the same energy and danceability but moved things on a bit.

They wanted to be taken more seriously after that album, as Madness did at the same time. But to be fair to the general public, I'm not sure how seriously you can take a 20-stone Big Mac chomping skinhead dancing about in a can-can outfit. Surprised

Last edited by Imani on Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:49 pm
Harry
Too Hot

When I see clips like this it feels like they are following on from The Bonzo Dog Band on Do Not Adjust Your Set.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t1qUsu-u0A
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:41 am
Imani
Too Hot

Harry wrote:
When I see clips like this it feels like they are following on from The Bonzo Dog Band on Do Not Adjust Your Set.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t1qUsu-u0A

I remember an article in NME in 1981 where Buster does mention them as an influence.

One of my fave Manners tunes, but practically no-one knows it, and they've probably never done it live. A brilliant, driving ska/northern soul mixture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-W1XmXZvWI
PostPosted:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:58 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

I think Forging Ahead is a great album. It's a much more serious album, but it proved what a great bunch of musicians they were.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:35 pm
Imani
Too Hot

Trojan wrote:
I think Forging Ahead is a great album. It's a much more serious album, but it proved what a great bunch of musicians they were.

I also like that album, the musicianship is excellent, as is the sleeve painting by David Farren. Got No Brains and Your are my favourite tunes on it. Though their producer Roger Lomas has said it was their worst album because it was getting away from their humour.
PostPosted:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:48 pm
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

The first Bad Manners track l bought was Just a feeling/ Suicide. I still love both tracks today. Ska n b l very rarely play, but Gosh its... and Forging ahead are good albums.
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:43 am
done donald
Ska Face
Ska Face

Vinne Jones' performance - brutal. Many many better BM songs he could have chosen. His Madness medley ( 'from the late 80's' ) was even worse.

That said, it's great to hear someone do these tracks on something like ex factor, but he's not doing the songs justice. I also find it hard to believe that Louis Walsh bought Lip Up Fatty!!

Re Forging Ahead - I agree - excellent album. Gosh It's was probably their best album, but for musicianship, Forging Ahead was superb. 'Your' is still my favourite BM song to this day. An instrumental version of it was the theme tune of 'Hold Tight' (presented by Pauline Black) - if my memory recalls...

Jim
It’s A Wonderful Life. It’s a wonderful film, but the more I watch it the more I want Potter to succeed. Not least when that lot up the road come out into the street every New Year’s Eve, drunk on Ptolemy’s hock, hugging each other and going “Hee-haw, hee-haw”…
PostPosted:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:53 am
Imani
Too Hot

I suppose Vinnie's performance is just standard fare for Saturday night light entertainment. It would have been more bizarre to have that audience whooping and happy clapping to something more serious. Now there's a thought; Timmy Mallet doing Ghost Town. Michael McIntyre belting out One In Ten. Jimmy Tarbuck singing Maggie's Farm, thinking it's a tribute to Thatcher. There are others.

Speaking of Bad Manners. I've noticed there's been a few 80s pop artists that have said they weren't entirely comfortable with the way they had to appeal to a teeny bop market, or just not taken seriously. Even though that was where their commercial success was. Something did change in the 80s as far as the way bands were marketed.
PostPosted:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:42 am
kennybacon
Special

Imani wrote:
I suppose Vinnie's performance is just standard fare for Saturday night light entertainment. It would have been more bizarre to have that audience whooping and happy clapping to something more serious. Now there's a thought; Timmy Mallet doing Ghost Town. Michael McIntyre belting out One In Ten. Jimmy Tarbuck singing Maggie's Farm, thinking it's a tribute to Thatcher. There are others.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bob Carolgees and Spit the Dog doing Stupid Marriage.
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:34 pm
Imani
Too Hot

kennybacon wrote:
Imani wrote:

I wouldn't mind seeing Bob Carolgees and Spit the Dog doing Stupid Marriage.

Eamonn Holmes doing Man at C&A would be a bit special.
PostPosted:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:11 pm
Derry Jammers
Special

Didnt see it. Glad i didnt. Ronnie Barker as Buster Gut - Bad Habits. Brilliant. I Like Bouncing which I have on vinyl. Not the Nine O’clock News. Also brilliant.
PostPosted:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:25 pm
Imani
Too Hot

Weeping And Wailing from Gosh It's was a more serious song. Written about TOTP, or rather the producer and director of the show who wanted Bad Manners to tone down their performance.

'Don't dabble with controversy, they're telling me... Make sure that you do not offend the BBC...Just try to keep it clean, don't make it too obscene, cos if you do you will land in trouble'

Ironic much? Surprised

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTFDsixHW7g
PostPosted:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:42 am
Sugarman
Too Hot

Vinnie with Madness Smile https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/19/vinnie-jones-performs-surprise-duet-with-madness-after-paying-tribute-to-late-wife-tanya-with-song-on-the-x-factor-celebrity-11181719/
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:33 pm
Harry
Too Hot

Has anyone seen the recent clip of Nev and Buster singing, Monkey Man?
It's really good.
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:37 pm