Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Rolling Stones new single is about living in a Ghost Town

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Harry
Too Hot

Post subject: Rolling Stones new single is about living in a Ghost Town Reply with quote

Jerry was clearly influenced by Mick'n'Keef when he wrote Little Bitch.
I think this is Sir Mick attempting to say "We're all in this together" The song is good in part. I like the harmonica.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdhENdBYqdo&fbclid=IwAR241EAvtRg3ze-37gSwzhkQxpCWMi6Nef2ak7q1YS7cC_9qbLeTetvixXE
Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:35 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Imani
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a patch on the many good tunes they've done. Though it's affecting everyone, the affluent Stones can still enjoy ample exercise opportunities on the grounds of their mansions, and it won't make too much of a dint upon their incomes.

On 'this thing' as a whole: It's sad that people have lost loved ones, small businesses have closed and people have lost jobs, that some are having a hard time with this confinement.

But while there'll be relief when the lockdown finishes, I'm enjoying the peace and quiet, and I know others that also are. It may be a ghost town now but it was also crazy as hell in the world before all of this. It wasn't too clever before so it's good to have respite. (No doubt some of that craziness will return with a vengeance when it's over. Unfortunately.)

It's quite something to be still walking around as normal while even the scallies, the 'dons', the drug pushers are cowering indoors. I've seen people whom prior to this were trashing the government and media for lies, now dressed up in all kinds of protective gear like they're off to a cybermen cosplay convention. Ironically, the masks are 'unmasking' where people are really at.
PostPosted:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:16 pm
Harry
Too Hot

A mixed response to new(ish) The Stones song...

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/rolling-stones-living-in-a-ghost-town-new-song-reactions-reviews-a9481501.html

David Hare wrote about what it was like to get the virus yesterday:
"I caught the virus very early in the cycle, just six weeks ago, and there followed the eighteen most uncomfortable days of my life.
The symptoms seemed to come flying off a spinning wheel, without any logic or progression. One day it would be crazy fever, next it would be Arctic cold, then it would be vomiting, then coughing, then conjunctivitis, then breathing problems. Day 10 was five times worse than Day 5.
At the lowest point, my doctor wanted to move me into hospital, but I refused because, like so many of us, I was convinced that if I went in I would never come out.
I was lucky. One day the symptoms just cleared. I was among the first in, and would be among the first out. Early on, I’d been shouting at the television when Pollyannas came on claiming the virus was no worse than the ‘flu. Thank God that lie got nailed early. And it was even more provoking when false friends of the prime minister started claiming courage and love of life had seen him through. In fact, whoever was in charge of his case in the week before Johnson went into hospital should never have allowed him to carry on as normal. Those of us who’ve had the virus know you don’t, under any circumstances, ignore it.
What helped me survive were pure luck, and the assiduous, expert care of my first-class GP. Those two things only, not my fabled resources of character.
And that’s the whole point, and the danger of this virus: nobody yet understands it – why it affects some people, of whatever age, so badly, and lets others off so lightly. People far fitter than me, far younger and without any complicating conditions, have died, and, aged 72, I’ve been spared.
It’s not just that we don’t have a cure, it’s that we’re, up till now, mystified by its character. Are those of us who had it once henceforth immune? Nobody knows.
So two things are scaring me right now as much as the disease itself.
First, in order to comprehend the incomprehensible, we are going to need information. At the moment, nurses and doctors who endured years of austerity, are nobly putting their grievances behind them and doing a brilliant job of crisis management. But the equally important task of gathering facts, and seeking to understand patterns, principally through mass testing, is, we all know, going by default.
Unless we seek not just to treat the virus’s symptoms but to understand its hold and spread, we are doomed to fail.
The second thing that scares me is tied to the first. The country has uncomplainingly entered a social contract of voluntary self-denial. But in return for lockdown, isolation, commercial disaster and social distancing, the least we can expect is that the government will reward us with honesty. We deserve it. To watch the weasel-worded parade of ministers shirking responsibility for their failures, and confecting non-apologies to the dead and dying, has seen British public life sink as low as I can remember in my entire life-time – and I lived, remember, through Suez and Iraq.
As James Baldwin once wrote, “Allegiance has to work two ways, and people tire of an allegiance which is not reciprocal.”
We, the public, are doing what the government requests, but in return government ministers must give something back: for the first time, they must own up to their mistakes, stop dodging and waffling, and start to trust us with the truth. I don’t see how they can expect the lockdown to hold unless they do. “
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:09 pm
Imani
Too Hot

Being scared has more chance of weakening a person's immunity. It's handy to switch off and ignore the news whether it's on tv or online, as it's awash with scared folk and fear-mongering.
PostPosted:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:52 pm
Harry
Too Hot

Hmmm... well yes, you're right in the sense that any doctor will tell you "worrying never helped anything" but there was a time when we thought this virus was like the flu. That time has passed. We now know that, unlike the flu if you get this virus, unlike the flu, it can come back worse than before. We also know it can seem to disappear and then mess up your eyesight and we also know that around 15 % of people who seem to recover from it then realize that their kidneys are messed up and that they need dialysis.
Trump said to experiment with bleach. He then said he was being sarcastic.
Now is not the time to drink bleach.
Now is not the time to be sarcastic!
The best thing you can do is stay indoors and keep washing your hands.
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:50 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:31 pm