Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information David Bowie: 'Never play to the gallery'

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Imani
Too Hot

Post subject: David Bowie: 'Never play to the gallery' Reply with quote

Great insight delivered in just under a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNbnef_eXBM
PostPosted:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:26 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Imani
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Numan speaking in 2017 on much the same subject at 7.40 to 13.52, and from 17.14 to 18.38.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAA-lgvbO_M

Even more applicable now that the old music industry has finished.
PostPosted:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:53 am
Harry
Too Hot

Gary "Don't take my advice, that's my advice" Newman always comes across as a nice chap.
I've always thought there was a lot in Woody Allen's line: "80 % of success is just showing up" and it goes hand in hand with Julian Cope's observation "I appreciate I'm currently a has been but I think if I stick around long enough I'll be seen as a legend"
(Unlike Gary) Bowie always seemed to have surrounded himself with amazing producers, arrangers and musicians.
It would be interesting if, in 1982 Shakin Stevens had gone into a studio with Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tony Visconti, Carlos Alomar and Nile Rogers and recorded a bunch of old Bob Dylan songs could they have made an album the critic raved about it do you really need Bowie that much?
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:58 am
Imani
Too Hot

Harry wrote:
Gary "Don't take my advice, that's my advice" Newman always comes across as a nice chap.
I've always thought there was a lot in Woody Allen's line: "80 % of success is just showing up" and it goes hand in hand with Julian Cope's observation "I appreciate I'm currently a has been but I think if I stick around long enough I'll be seen as a legend"
(Unlike Gary) Bowie always seemed to have surrounded himself with amazing producers, arrangers and musicians.
It would be interesting if, in 1982 Shakin Stevens had gone into a studio with Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tony Visconti, Carlos Alomar and Nile Rogers and recorded a bunch of old Bob Dylan songs could they have made an album the critic raved about it do you really need Bowie that much?

Good quote from Allen, that.

I first saw the Numan interview in 2019 and thought it was so refreshing to hear. It's something that I think artists are aware of at the start but they can easily forget it.

You can have a great producer and session players and still not produce the end results, I disagree with you there. Talented solo artists always surround themselves with talented collaborators, as long as they can afford them of course.
PostPosted:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:30 am