16%
 16%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 54

AuthorMessage
MIKE CORNWELL
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject: Vote for a Specials reunion Reply with quote

Im sure there are plenty of us out there that would love to see The Specials reunite .What are anyones thoughts on this ??? Very Happy
PostPosted:
Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:43 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website
Trojan
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be in favour of a reunion for the simple fact that it just wouldn't be the same. Look what has happened with the Sex Pistols. They just can't capture the energy or excitement of the first time 'round and EXACTLY the same thing would happen with The Specials. A reunion would tarnish their otherwise perfect reputation. The same would be true for a Jam or Clash reunion, but hats of for those two bands for not even considering it.

Having said that Terry Hall has changed his mind a few times on the matter. One minute he says 'no way' and the next minute he is saying he would do it 'if there was a good reason' to do so. But I would say that it is a safe bet that Jerry Dammers wouldn't be up for it and you have to respect him for that.

The Specials/2 Tone was a great (brief) moment in music and I was lucky enough to be there at the time but I just don't think it would be the same if the group got together again. These things are best left alone.

Crying or Very sad
PostPosted:
Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:20 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message

I think probably the only time the original line-up would reunite is if they were to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. And I can't even guarantee that would happen. We'll see in the years to come.

Peace & Love Smile

Grant
PostPosted:
Tue Sep 24, 2002 3:36 pm
Top of Page
Trojan
Too Hot

It is one for The Specials inducted into the 'Rock & Roll Hall of Fame' it would be quite another thing for them to accept it!. Jerry Dammers distaste with the music industry, especially the American one, and all the fame and crap associated with it is well documented. He accepted a life time achievment award recently in the UK but somehow I can't see him accepting an award that would hold him in the same esteam as The Rolling Stones or Michael Jackson.

'Rock and Roll Halls of Fame' are not what the Specials or 2 Tone was all about. Shocked
PostPosted:
Tue Sep 24, 2002 4:48 pm
Dazza 3
Gangster
Gangster

Post subject: Specials reunion Reply with quote

I would give anything for a Specials reunion especially as I was never lucky enough to see them live.I disagree with the comments that a reunion would tarnish their otherwise perfect reputation and wouldn't capture the energy & excitement of the first time round.
I am going to see Madness in december and can't wait.
Can anyone who loved the good old days of TWO-TONE say that if the Specials got back together for a concert that they wouldn't go to see them?
Maybe I am wrong but to see the Specials with half the excitement & energy that they used to have would be enough for me!!!
Wouldn't it be even better if some of the other bands got together aswell to join the Specials for a reunion!!!
Now I'm in dreamland.[/b]
PostPosted:
Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:55 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
SCROSCED

Post subject: absolutely Reply with quote

WHO WOULDN'T WANT TO HERE ALL THE OLD CLASSICS ONE MORE TIME-------THE SPECIAL BEAT AND NEVILLE AND RODDY AS THE SPECIALS WERE GREAT FUN----ITS NOT RUINING ANYTHING AND THE CROWDS YOUNG AND OLD WERE GREAT---I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH WHOM EVER SLAGGED OFF THE PISTOLS REUNION --I SAW THAT IN NYC ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO AND IT WAS AWESOME--ITS FUN TO HEAR ALL THE OLD TUNES LIVE AND LOUD--SORRY I WAS ONLY 8 WHEN THE ORIGINAL BANDS TOURED THE STATES AND LETS BE HONEST BACK THEN NO ONE REALLY SAW THOSE BANDS--AND WHO IS THE ASS THAT WOULDN'T LOSE A LIMB NOT TO SEE A CLASH REUNION---ITS ABOUT FUN NOT ABOUT ARTISTIC CREDIBILITY---GET OVER YOURSELFS AND LIGHTEN UP
PostPosted:
Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:39 pm
Top of Page
Trojan
Too Hot

I have to disagree with you SCROSCED it IS all about credibility. Terry Hall doesn’t what anything to do with a Specials reunion because as he said ‘because that band is just too important’ his words not mine. As a rule bands that reform loose all their original punch. Yep the reformed Sex Pistols may put on a good show (I have to disagree with you though) but it is nothing to the absolute uproar that a Sex Pistols gig used to cause, that is if they hadn’t been banned from playing in the first place. The Specials, like the Sex Pistols, had a very short sharp moment and that was it. John Peel summed it up perfectly when he said “these things have a natural life span and if you carry it on any longer people will ask you “What are you doing here you fat c*nt?””.

A Clash reunion would be exactly the same. Joe Strummer has been offered shit loads of money in the past for such a venture but each time to his credit he has turned it down. (Didn’t stop them using a Clash track on a Levis ad though!) and SCROSCED his reasons were that word again “credibility”.

Don’t get me wrong I am not analysising the crap out of music its just this like Specials were a unique spontaneous moment in music and you can NEVER recapture that. I was lucky to enough to see the original Specials twice and both times they were amazing. I saw the reformed Specials in Belfast about 5 years ago and they were very average indeed. And it wasn’t just me that thought this, the people that I went with, who where all there the first time ‘round, all agreed.

In the mean time I am off to find someone to help me get over myself Wink
PostPosted:
Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:21 pm

The Clash have reunited in recent years. Most notably for their acceptance of the Ivan Novello award for (I think) Songwriting Achievement (or something). But that hasn't bruised their reputation. Sure, a Specials reunion probably won't have the same spark as it did first time around (for one thing they've gotten older) but it will make a lot of people happy.

Peace
PostPosted:
Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:27 pm
Top of Page
doriori

!! that would be so cool!!
PostPosted:
Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:52 am
Top of Page

Post subject: Who wouldn't like it? Reply with quote

The Specials are so great that nobody would say no if they came back. It would be wonderful. Very Happy
Nowadays, ska is in a bad moment Confused , and now it's time to remember specials, and other 2-Tone bands, because for me it's the best. Unfortunately, I was born only 16 years ago, so I couldn't live that golden times of the Specials. Furthermore, here in Spain ska is not so popular so it's difficult to find a ska CD, and even more difficult of a band like Specials.
If they did so, I would be the first to see them. I would do anything
PostPosted:
Sat Sep 28, 2002 10:01 pm
Top of Page

I think it would be brilliant, especially if there was a new studio album as well. Just imagine Terry and Jerry working together again, it would be fantastic, what with Jerrys sound craft, and Terrys cynical vocals, capturing life in President Blairs Britain.
PostPosted:
Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:25 am
Top of Page

I'm sure we would all want a Specials reunion. But at this point, the chances of a reunion are about the same as the chances of a Beatles reunion.
PostPosted:
Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:26 pm
Top of Page
steviewatska
Ska Face
Ska Face

Post subject: specials reunion Reply with quote

Very Happy Yes, why not , the Specials were such a quality band that i don't see a problem with them reforming. I feel the only problem you would have is actually getting a ticket for the gig due to the huge demand!!!!
PostPosted:
Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:40 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Trojan
Too Hot

Good point Grant. The chances of getting Jerry Dammers and Terry Hall in the same room are about the same as getting Paul McCartney and John Lennon in the same room.

As a rule of thumb band reunions always seem a better idea than the actually turn out to be.
LEAVE THE SPECIALS AS THEY WERE. If they are dragged on and on they will end up like the Rolling Stones.
PostPosted:
Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:34 pm
will

you are right Trojan, the specials need to bo left as they were, and jerry and terry wouldn't do it and it wouldn't good if it was without them, so i don't think they should reunite...
PostPosted:
Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:10 pm
Top of Page
nellie
Stereotype

Post subject: THE SPECIALS ONCE MORE Reply with quote

TO SEE THE SPECIALS ONCE MORE ON STAGE WOULD BE GREAT, BUT I REMEMBER WHEN MADNESS REFORMED. I WAS FULL OFF HOPE TO RE LIVE THE FIRST TIME I SAW THEM BACK IN 1979. BUT PLAYING THE NEC THE ORIGINAL FEELING WAS LOST. NOT SAYING THAT BY PLAYING THE NEC THE MAGIC WAS LOST, BUT THEY JUST COULD NOT PRODUCE THE PASION I REMEMBERED. I WOULD ENJOY TO SEE THE SPECIALS PLAY TOGETHER ONCE AGIAN BUT I FEAR THAT I WOULD LOOSE MY LAST MEMORY OF THEM PLAYING LIVE. AND THAT I WISH TO KEEP FOREVER. THE REASONS AND REQUIREMENTS NEED TO BE RIGHT FOR ALL THE MEMBERS IF A REUNION WAS TO WORK AND ABOVE ALL TO DO THEM JUSTICE. IT WOULD BE A SHAME IF THEY LET THEMSELVES DOWN BY TRYING TO RELIVE. LONG LIVE THE SPECIALS AND ALL THEY STOOD FOR..... Smile
PostPosted:
Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:06 pm
stevieross

Post subject: WE NEED A REUNION TOUR Reply with quote

WHY NOT.LETZ GET SKANKING AGAIN,BEFORE OLD AGE SETZ IN.THINK OF THE BUZZZZZZZ. Laughing
PostPosted:
Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:29 pm
Top of Page
Timesup

new to the board.
wasn't TODAY'S SPECIALS the reunion?
plus, they toured w/ GUILTY...
saw them in 98, in a small club in Philadelphia...great energized show.
but if they got back together would it be "another" reunion?

Will all of them ever get back on stage? probably not.
a good reunion was Living Colour ( http://www.LIVINGCOLOURnet.com )
a band that was ahead of their time, and reunited because it seemed right, not because of nostalgia or money.
PostPosted:
Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:23 am
Top of Page
natasha

Post subject: Would be great BUT Reply with quote

It would be great to see the original Specials line up on stage but it wouldnt be worth it if it was on a sort of golden oldies caroussel base.
I suppose the answer is YES, a reunion IF they would REALLY ENJOY it THEMSELVES and not just plug in for the punters and if they all got a chance to show a little of everything they´re doing now. But for here (Holland) the way things are, we could to with some Special something....
PostPosted:
Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:39 am
Top of Page
twotoneman@c&a

Post subject: specials reuniting Reply with quote

Shocked before I mention a band from Coventry, I would like to talk about a band from Birmingham to quote one of their lyrics 'don't let it pass you by, your ganna wake up and wonder why'. Now back to the band from Coventry "the Specials" and to quote one of their lyrics 'enjoy yourself, enjoy yourself its later than you think' and if your a specials fan your probably already singing along and thinking about a great night in drinking and dancing to all your old special singles. But wouldn't it be great if all you ex skinheads and rude boys and girls could listen and dance to the specials live and stomping on stage once again. So if Terry , or Jerry read this message its up to you what you really wanna do
and if your wondering now what to do you know its not the end. its the dawning of a new era. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
PostPosted:
Sat Oct 19, 2002 8:26 pm
Top of Page