Huey Morgan (from Fun Loving Criminals)
Ian Payne
Greg James
Scott Mills
Nemone Metaxas
Richard Herring
Louis Theroux
Peter Kaye

Lots more going in this morning too, on 5 live, BBC breakfast, that James the chef fuck, That Paul Ross and Gaby Roslin.

Are these the kind of scabs we want representing our public broadcasting?

Andrew Collins had the cheek to cross the line and then tweet about his misdeed in a shameless display 'ooh I won't get paid as I'm self employed'.

This is an NUJ Strike, with BECTU having voted against striking for now however, their advice to their members is clear...

you should not do any work that would normally be undertaken by NUJ members who are on strike.

and

If, however, as a matter of conscience you decide not to cross a picket line and the BBC attempts to discipline you then you will have the full support of BECTU.
PostPosted:
Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:00 pm
Top of Page
CraigHudson
Special

Post subject: Reply with quote

What are they striking over? I find it very difficult to say what I think of strikers/strikebreakers if I don't know what I am meant to be agreeing/disagreeing with.
Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:57 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message

CraigHudson wrote:
What are they striking over? I find it very difficult to say what I think of strikers/strikebreakers if I don't know what I am meant to be agreeing/disagreeing with.

Well, I'm assuming you have an opinion on unions and their right to strike and members of a union crossing an elected picket line in direct opposition of majority vote.

That is my question to you?

Are strikebreakers the sort of people that should be representing our National Broadcasting Corperation?

However, because I'm a fair chap, here's some background on the pensions dispute:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11645160
PostPosted:
Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:10 pm
Top of Page
welshsteve
Ska Face
Ska Face

I'm not sure those people listed are scabs, surely their just doing their normal jobs... Why do you have to be a journalist to read the news?
PostPosted:
Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:25 pm

Newsreaders and Many Presenters are Journalists, yes.
PostPosted:
Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:27 pm
Top of Page
welshsteve
Ska Face
Ska Face

out of that list of celebs, how many are doing work that would normally be undertaken by NUJ members who are on strike.

Surely someone like andrew collins is just doing his programme like he normally does.

Are you crossing a picket line if you put the telly or radio on?
PostPosted:
Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:38 pm

Not watching or listening to BBC stations would be a method of supporting the strike.

Supporting your colleagues through not crossing the picket line, which many on that list had to do is an action which opposes the strike.

BECTU have stated that they would support their members in supporting the NUJ so no one has a valid excuse to cross that line unless they're directly stating their opposition against the strike.
PostPosted:
Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:42 pm
Top of Page
bluebeat
Stereotype

Spot on Nanker! always hated Chris Moyles,now i have extra reason! Very Happy
Seems no one wants to stick up for their fellow man these days...shamefull
Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:15 pm
nite_klub_man
Special

get back to work

https://www.facebook.com/2ToneCollection/

PostPosted:
Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:27 pm
CraigHudson
Special

Well, if the unions are successful in opposing pensions overhauls, who's going to make up the deficit? The licence payers? If so, would you be prepared to pay more for your licence?
Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:43 pm

CraigHudson wrote:
Well, if the unions are successful in opposing pensions overhauls, who's going to make up the deficit? The licence payers? If so, would you be prepared to pay more for your licence?

BBC Management has a business to run and if they have a deficit then it's because they have not been effective in running that business.

This should not be covered by the workers through pension cuts nor the licence payer through an increase in fees.

The BBC have squandered money on vanity channels like BBC3 and 4 when BBC1 and 2 were doing perfectly well on their own.

Spreading less quality over more channels, thus increasing overheads and losing viewers was never a good decision. They piss away money at a high level and expect to claw it back at low level. This has not worked.

I've had pension and pay cuts (12%) across both in the past 2 years and I've no union to stand with and fight it with. If I had I would have been out against the Partnership I work for because they are one's who should have taken the hit, not the staff.
PostPosted:
Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:50 pm
Top of Page
EssexSteve
Too Hot

just out of interest nanker - where do you stand on the lfb strike ?

i know they cancelled this weekends (imho that was always gonna be amajor bluff) but my understanding of the reasons are a change in shift patterns - about 2 hours being re-classified as day shift instead of night with no job losses or reduction in pay which seems pretty petty to me

unless it fucks up their start times on their 2nd jobs.....
Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:02 pm

EssexSteve wrote:
just out of interest nanker - where do you stand on the lfb strike ?

i know they cancelled this weekends (imho that was always gonna be amajor bluff) but my understanding of the reasons are a change in shift patterns - about 2 hours being re-classified as day shift instead of night with no job losses or reduction in pay which seems pretty petty to me

unless it fucks up their start times on their 2nd jobs.....

My view is that they have a right to strike if the union voted in majority to do so.

What I think about their terms and conditions is neither here nor there.

As it stands the LFB get fucked every which way. The fact that they have to take second jobs is shocking.

Like Nurses and other public servants they are thought about last, with their pay and their conditions and their resources and their working hours fucked about with time and time again. To the point that they are put in danger or simpy taken advantage of.

I'd stand by the LFB if they wanted to strike about the type of coffee they were being made to drink. These people save lives every day. They should be given the best.
PostPosted:
Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:15 pm
Top of Page
EssexSteve
Too Hot

Nanker Phelge wrote:
The fact that they have to take second jobs is shocking.

they dont have to, they can

big difference

i've got a few mates in the fire service and they get decent money although nowhere near as much as they should for risking their lives in comparison to other professions

having said that, my mate john does seem to get a hell of lot of pool practice in when he isnt in a burning building or cutting a mess out of a car crash.... Wink

* btw, him and quite a few of the others dont agree with this strike but wont scab
Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:21 pm
Skanights
Gangster
Gangster

what do you expect your mate john to be doing? going out and starting fires to give himself something to do?

i don't get this bullshit people spout about firemen being paid to sleep either. the kind of jobs they have to do don't fit into a nice shift pattern.

and as for striking bonfire night - got your attention didn't it? got to use any power you have in the fight against the boss.

THE UNION FOREVER!
Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:31 pm
EssexSteve
Too Hot

him and my other fire service mates are the first to say its a piece of piss as a job when and thats a big WHEN they arent risking their lives - they are the ones joking about it

i know for a fact though from some of the stories i've heard its a job i couldnt do and i have the utmost respect for them for doing it

more because of the disturbing stuff they (and the ambulance lads and lasses) deal with at crashes etc than the burning buildings side of it

and the fact i'm shit with ladders Embarassed
Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:43 pm