http://38degrees.org.uk/
PostPosted:
Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:06 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
CraigHudson
Special

Post subject: Reply with quote

Fester wrote:
Well the Eagles did do a tour called "Hell Freezes Over" and they really despised each other, not like the Spareshells who only get on each others tits a bit??????

The Spareshells? Is that a tribute band?
Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:08 pm
skacid
Too Hot

CraigHudson wrote:
Fester wrote:
Well the Eagles did do a tour called "Hell Freezes Over" and they really despised each other, not like the Spareshells who only get on each others tits a bit??????

The Spareshells? Is that a tribute band?

No, its a tribute CD

www.chillisound.co.uk

http://38degrees.org.uk/
PostPosted:
Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:23 pm
mossman
Special

I think it'd be great to hear some new music from the band, but I won't be holding my breath. Confused
PostPosted:
Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:48 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
DIRTYHARRY
Special

I remember Terry saying earlier this year that The Specials will keep touring and then release a new album.

If you ask me, The Specials' legacy is so huge I doubt it would be dented by a dodgy 'comeback' album. To be honest, there's more of a chance of pigs flying than them releasing something below par.
PostPosted:
Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:09 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
the-ska-knight
Too Hot

There is something very special (no pun) about the musical legacy as it is. For all the subsequent projects and solo trips, the actual "Specials" stuff is perfect. Some will disagree, but nothing any of the band ever did subsequently (either musically or simply for it's place in my heart) is even close to those 2 records. There's loads of really good stuff - but Specials and More Specials kickstarted everything, and are unparalleled.

If they could make an album that is genuinely comparable to (for example; given the similarities) Wonderful Madness, then that would great. But if that wasn't in them, then I'd prefer them to leave it be.
PostPosted:
Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:32 pm
dan
Too Hot

DIRTYHARRY wrote:
I remember Terry saying earlier this year that The Specials will keep touring and then release a new album.

If you ask me, The Specials' legacy is so huge I doubt it would be dented by a dodgy 'comeback' album. To be honest, there's more of a chance of pigs flying than them releasing something below par.

There ARE many reasons why it might be below par Dirtyharry, which is why i think its wise not to.

ONE there is the Jerry thing, not saying the others cant write they can, but if they wrote as the specials there would be likely to be a negative reaction from quitea few whatever they came up with because of the history, its quite dodgy ground in a way touring wasn't. However, if they were really keen to do it that shouldnt put them off, in fact that would be a great challenge.

BUT that is not all. When Terry writes now he writes as a middle aged man, ditto they others, he cant help that thats what he is. The songs they wrote before were songs of frustrated youth, dealing with personal situations 6 comfortably off mid aged men don't deal with anymore. How do you sound like the specials when your career starts at a goes to b then picks up again at about q? its not easy. If you dont sound like the specials call yourself The Skabilly Rebels or the Colourfield but not the specials! ITS EXACTLY THE SAME REASON THEY WERE RIGHT TO REJECT JERRY'S VISION OF A REFORMED SPECIALS SHOULD BE.
As Terry says, he and jerry were into this more lounge musicy thing, whereas roddy liked rockabilly etc etc, what would be the vision behind a new album, it would have to be AS GOOD as the other 2 wouldn't it! and that would mean there being thematic links etcetc. could they return to the ska template and sound authentically like themselves?...i dont know, if they didn't know either then they would be wise not to try.

For these reason I would not be against them doing an ep maybe if they came up with something BUT i would be very worried that their legacy would be affected by an album.

What I would prefer DH is for someone of your generation to come up with their own hard hitting take on the world today using mod,punk and ska influences and produce scinillating exciting music like they did. so that someone like you wouldnt have to immerse himself in 30 year old music much as it is brilliant that you have such good taste! Very Happy
Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:21 pm
Hugh
Too Hot

I've always liked them as a band of musicians and not for all that boring ephemeral stuff. I would much rather that they experiment and create than simply try to mirror and tribute the past; which is what real musicians do.
Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:23 pm
Fester
Too Hot

I think a new album could be a really healthy thing for all the Specials.

It would get the monkey of the first 2 albums off their back and make them relevant all over again to a new generation, as well as us lot who - lets face it - are the converted.

For a start the pure musicianship in the band is excellent. Age has improved all their musical talents but not taken away their spark, the whiff of sulphur that makes them so exciting. Great starting point. Secondly, they are a bunch of proven and talented songwriters, both individually and in partnership. Thirdly, there's a broad range of influences and ideas so it need not be a ska album, a punk album, a pop album, or any particular genre, it could be all of that and more. I'd see it as a melting pot of styles, personalities, types of music, all underpinned with that unique Specials sound. Finally they might throw it open to some Guest Stars and surprise contributors. Maybe even get some Guest Producers in for some tracks, Damon Albarn springs to mind, maybe Mick Jones, the queue would be long.

I find it really hard to believe that after nearly 30 years that these guys would not be at least curious as to what they could create together in the studio as older and wiser men.

So for those reasons, I'M IN. Very Happy
PostPosted:
Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:22 pm
seandelier
Gangster
Gangster

Fester wrote:
, all underpinned with that unique Specials sound.

Sorry, I do not agree. While I did not think it mattered that Jerry did not play on the tour. It matters for new music. Without him it will never be the unique Specials sound on record.

It may be great, it may be crap but it would never really be the Specials. And I do not see how the two albums are a monkey on anyones back.
Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:09 pm
Fester
Too Hot

Only meant a monkey on their backs in so far as nothing they have ever done individually really gets the same credit.

As for the Jerry argument that just makes me sad so I aint going there.
PostPosted:
Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:58 am
dan at home
Special

Hugh wrote:
I've always liked them as a band of musicians and not for all that boring ephemeral stuff. I would much rather that they experiment and create than simply try to mirror and tribute the past; which is what real musicians do.

if the boring ephemeral stuff is attitude and songwriting, agit prop, entertaining interviews, public fall outs and ridiculous clothes then that is what i want from pop.

to be frank ive always found musicians as boring as a 24 hour jam session. they can come in wank around on their own instruments then fuck off back to their prog rock mindsets as far as i'm concerned. unless a musician is prepared to get with the thing of dressing up as a highwayman and enjoy it- i dont really see the point.

i like the specials for the excitement which the musicianship is only one part of. for me nev is as important to them as any other member.
Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:24 am
Hugh
Too Hot

The marketing and merchandising is of zero interest to me, and the experimenting goes on in private while the stage is for performance. Arrow
Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:51 pm
DIRTYHARRY
Special

Fester wrote:
I think a new album could be a really healthy thing for all the Specials.

It would get the monkey of the first 2 albums off their back and make them relevant all over again to a new generation, as well as us lot who - lets face it - are the converted.

For a start the pure musicianship in the band is excellent. Age has improved all their musical talents but not taken away their spark, the whiff of sulphur that makes them so exciting. Great starting point. Secondly, they are a bunch of proven and talented songwriters, both individually and in partnership. Thirdly, there's a broad range of influences and ideas so it need not be a ska album, a punk album, a pop album, or any particular genre, it could be all of that and more. I'd see it as a melting pot of styles, personalities, types of music, all underpinned with that unique Specials sound. Finally they might throw it open to some Guest Stars and surprise contributors. Maybe even get some Guest Producers in for some tracks, Damon Albarn springs to mind, maybe Mick Jones, the queue would be long.

I find it really hard to believe that after nearly 30 years that these guys would not be at least curious as to what they could create together in the studio as older and wiser men.

Ditto that - I couldn't have put it better myself!
PostPosted:
Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:53 am
DiaMandis
Stereotype

No new album required..2011..
Fantastic gigs again like this year,
Enjoy and leave in the memory!
Think old Nevs f@@@ed for a start?!
PostPosted:
Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:04 am