Information Roddy & Lynval / Press conference 3/07/10

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » The Specials   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Sugarman
Too Hot

Post subject: Roddy & Lynval / Press conference 3/07/10 Reply with quote

Looks like a good Interview pity no audio or video

http://www.pascalcodron.com/photos-conference-presse-the-specials-eurockeennes-2010.php Smile

Pictures

http://www.pascalcodron.com/photos-concert-the-specials-eurockeennes-2010.php
Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:35 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message

Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice picks Cool
Whos the Pirate Wink
PostPosted:
Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:09 am
Top of Page
Paul Willo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Very schmart!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
www.theskapones.co.uk

www.youtube.com/paulska67

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/TheSpecials2Com/245413985501746

www.roddyradiation.com

PostPosted:
Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:24 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Ally
Too Hot

The Specials are an English two tone Ska band formed in the early 80ís in Coventry. Their music combined a ďdanceable ska and rocksteady beat with punkís energy and attitudeĒ, and had a ďmore focused and informed political and social stanceĒ than other ska groups.
The Specials held an exclusive press conference at Les Eurockťennes to talk about their comeback after 30 years together, racism and projecting a message through music. Bench Live reports from Belfort, Malsaucy.
So first question, how was it for you?
Lynval Golding: I had a wonderful time, it was so good, great audience and as you can see weíre not very good actors and what you see is real we did enjoy ourselves yeah.
Do you need anything to clean up your nose from dust?
Roddy Radiation: No?
There was a lot of dust!
LG: We enjoyed the dust as well
RR: And the heat
Did you know your fans were still here when you decided to reform the band?
LG: Well what Iíve noticed in the audience is the first time fans theyíre at the back so I couldnít get to see them and theyíre much older, but theyíve brought their children with them and theyíre at the front and the parents have done a wonderful job because the parents have brought their kids to good music and Iím so pleased about the kids here
Two generations now?
LG: Yes two generations itís fantastic, really good
When did you decide to come back after all these years?
LG: It was for the 25th anniversary but we weíre a very slow bunch of guys so we take our time to get things together so it didnít happen 25 years ago well it did happen 30 years ago but we tried to come for the 25th anniversary
RR : Itís been on the cards for a long long time and it worked weíre good again
LG: We finally got back for the 30th anniversary
RR: Before we died basically
LG: And with our 30th anniversary we thought the best way, weíre all still alive itís a celebration of life really
RR: The musicís more important than we are
When you split in the early 80ís were you able to say that ska would survive til now?
RR: Itís sort of like in the 80ís it moved around to Europe so we just passed the baton to another person to do
RR: They flew the flag for us while we were resting
LG: Whilst we had a rest yeh, an extended break and we decided to get back together after the break, we were enjoying life so much that we didnít want to play anymore. I think Madness did a good job of keeping it going as well, while we were away so we take our hat off to Madness they kept it going
Do you have the same amount of pleasure on stage now as 30 years ago?
LG: I think now Iím more sober now than I was 30 years ago so Iím having more fun now because Iím more sober
RR: Iím not (sober) its pretty good, its great, its nice that guys our age can go out there and get that appreciation from young kids
LG: It feels so much better now because we can appreciate our music now because it means so much to people it much better now
Because youíre more sober?
LG: YehÖI would like to apologise because it took us so long to come back and celebrate what weíd done but weíre very lazy. I donít even know if we like to play music, why did it take us so long to come back? But weíre back and now weíre well received and itís nice to be here and to celebrate with people who like our music and I think itís been wonderful
For you is ska just a musical style or is it a life style?
LG: I think if you look at the band and look at the members of the band we all come from different backgrounds and weíve proven that music from all different backgrounds can work together
RR: Itís not just straight ska itís a mixture of everything
LG: Thereís punk, thereís a bit of jazz thereís all sorts in our music. Weíre not just a straight band, we make things work because we have to prove to people that we are really twins, we are identical twins
The third Ska wave arrived a few years ago with the young bands all over the world, what do you think about it?
LG: The young bands they had to practise more and write better songs
Are you still politically involved?
LG: Iím black, heís white and itís obvious that politically weíre bad. Itís obvious thatís what we stand for united with everyone. Itís like the song said Ďits not because youíre a black boy, not because your white, it doesnít mean you have to hate him, it doesnít mean you have to fight, it doesnít make it all rightí thatís what we stand for yeh
Your political decision about black and white is apparently still relevant, does it makes you sad and do you still think it can change?
LG: Itís not just about black and white itís about all religions and all that sort of stuff as well wherever youíre from
RR: People are the same everywhere you go
LG: People are people
RR: Whatever your race or religion, people are people
Do you still think it can change?
LG: Of course, of course because thatís the reason we write songs, weíve got the platform to speak there are millions of people who want to shout and we shout for them. Thatís why whether your Palestinian, Israeli, and Christian whatever you are people are all the same. If you cut my hand my blood is still red, we are all the same people. I canít understand and weíve got to keep pushing and donít let political and religious views push hatred onto you, you have to love each other you know?
Did you see an evolution in mentalities in the last 30 years?
RR: What we say in our songs gives our fans a sign to pass onto their children and understand just because someone is different doesnít mean their no good
LG: You know I got stabbed in England a racist stab and it gave me the strength to tell other youth out there to never carry a knife and Iím proud to say Iíve never carried a knife because two wrongs doesnít make it right, if I go and stab another person because of the colour of their skin I think Iím worse than the person that stabbed me the first time. Itís a racist attack so instead I say no we have to unite
RR: Heís had to take the knife off me a few times as well!
Whatís the major difference between The Specials in Ď79 and in 2010?
LG: In 1981 I hated everyone in the band. 2010 I fucking love them all; itís true weíre all very close together now
Who from the original line-up didnít follow the movement?
LG: Thereís six of us together and there were seven in the band before and Jerry is no longer with us, heís got his own orchestra now and we decided we wanted to play the music the way we wrote it the way and we wanted to present it to the audience and Jerry wanted to play the music differently and we said no, so democracy works and has worked for the best
Do you know how long the band will stay active this time?
LG: Well we seem to take 26 years off, can you imagine us all coming back in 26 years time weíll all be fucking dead!
RR: Weíll just keep going till we die
LG: Yeh weíll just keep going till weíre dying
You won the outstanding contribution award at the NME awards last year and you also performed at the event, how did it feel for you to get that recognition?
LG: Itís very strange because back in 70ís/80ís those sort of awards we wouldnít turn up to, because it just wasnít hip to be at them and it wasnít for us anyway because number one Ė we were a bunch of ugly bastards and didnít look good on camera (laughs) No it was really nice together it felt like it was the right time because you know I canít see people getting recognised for music that theyíd done after six months, it takes time to mature its like a good wine, wait and it gets better and better. I was glad to receive that from them because it was well overdue
You were saying earlier that you try to get a message across in your music; do you think that bands nowadays should try harder to get a message across in what they do?
RR: Itís entirely up to them
LG: I do think that because I come from the era of Bob Marley Ďget up, stand upÖí I grew up with those sorts of music so I think thatís what inspired me as well, the reason that bands today havenít really written anything that has any substance is because we havenít played for so long so hopefully this will inspire up and coming bands to write songs that say something. I had Bob Marley to look up to and to follow, The Clash are no longer around and Joe Strummerís not here and you know Joe (God bless him and I love you man) those are people that have inspired the late 70ís/80ís generation of bands so I just hope that us coming back will inspire up and coming bands. There are two little bands in England that I really love thereís King Blues and thereís Kid British, they really are two bands that I think could take the whole thing forward now. Theyíve played with us, weíve played with The Clash and this is the result, hopefully this will inspire those two bands to go onto writing good songs
Obviously itís been a while since The Specials have been around, what was it that caused the band to form originally?
LG: I think being in Coventry, Coventry is a multi-racial city and we were all in different bands at the time, but it just seemed to make sense. Rod was in his own band, I was in a soul band and getting all these musicians together really proved that you can come from different backgrounds musically, put them together a bit like melting them in a pot and stirring it, and we come up with two tone stuff. You know at the time there was a lot of racism and we had to prove to the racists that weíre gonna live together and we are like a rock
Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:32 am
Shan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice one boys Very Happy

BUT.... I have to say that 30 years on the whole lot of them still look fantastic!
Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:47 am
marigold
Too Hot

Thanks Paul and Ally - agree with Shan - must be great genes 30+ years and they are still lookers! especially Jett LOOK at that hair : )
Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:17 pm
DIRTYHARRY
Special

Shame nothing about a 'new album' was mentioned and whether they will continue after the tour next year. I suppose we will just have to wait.
PostPosted:
Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:23 am
Paul Willo
Site Admin
Site Admin

"...before we died basically..." - classic Byers Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
www.theskapones.co.uk

www.youtube.com/paulska67

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/TheSpecials2Com/245413985501746

www.roddyradiation.com

PostPosted:
Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:58 am