Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information THE SIMMERTONES CD LAUNCH PARTY 21/7/11.

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » Who's who of current Ska ?   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
des b
Gangster
Gangster

Post subject: THE SIMMERTONES CD LAUNCH PARTY 21/7/11. Reply with quote

Last night I attended the triumphant launch of the brand new EP by the Westcountry's finest authentic ska band THE SIMMERTONES at The Rainbow in Torquay. The venue used to be a nite klub back in the day and was packed to the rafters with around 400/500 people. The first thing that struck me looking around was the age of the audience - from a load of people who weren't even born when 2tone was in its heyday and men in their 40's and 50's with their long suffering wives and girlfriends to those who are genuine eccentrics - like the fella dressed as a doctor version of Jake the peg (with his extra leg). The evening kicked off with Glyn (Simmertones' vocalist) spinning some 60's Jamaican classics as part of his Ska-au-go-go revue. Then an hour of Northern Soul tunes by DJ Eddie Piller (founder of the ACid Jazz record label). The Simmertones took the stage at 10pm and treated the audience to a breathtaking array of tunes all done in their inimitable style - they take tunes from the '60's Jamaican recording scene and add their own take on them - old favourites like "Watermelon Man", "54-46", "Wine and Grine", "A Message To You Rudy" etc become new favourite inna Simmertones stylee. The original tunes that form part of their set are dancefloor fillers too, tunes that appeared on their debut mini album "Presenting The Simmertones Volume One" (still available to download from all the usual outlets even though the CD has sold out), like "One Time Soon", "Warm Your Bones" and "Do What You Got To Do" are all greeted like old friends by the large and appreciative audience. Their ska'd up version of the Doctor Who theme always brings the house down and tonight is no exception - the floor starts to shake with all the stomping ! For the final part of the set STEVE CRADOCK of Ocean Colour Scene and The Paul Weller Band joins The Simmertones on stage and adds a totally new dimension and depth to their sound - they perform all four tracks on their brand new CD EP, which Steve guests with the band on, and the audience takes it up another gear in their appreciation. Finishing with a rousing Prince Buster-esque version of "Enjoy Yourself" where the crowd drowned out the band in their sing-a-long (no mean feat when the sound was as loud as it was - my ears are still ringing !). There were quite a few people recording and taking pics of this event so hopefully some footage will be available on sites like youtube, which will help spread the word not only in the ska scene but in the wider music scene that these guys are an excellent live band and fully deserve to be reckoned alongside the very best in any musical genre. Thanks for a great night lads, I got the CD EP on my way out of the venue and would highly recommend this to anyone - "Everything's Coming Up Ska" is the name and it includes two crackin' new tunes "Bring Your Love To Me" and "A Little Time" alongside stompin' versions of Desmond Dekker's "King of Ska" and The Valentines anti-gun crime tune "Blam Blam Fever". These guys deserve a wider audience, they sound as tight as a gnat's chaff ! Today Devon... tomorrow the world.
Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:07 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
skaman57
Stereotype

Post subject: Everythings comin' up Ska Reply with quote

Wish i could have been there for the launch, sounds like i missed a crackin' night. But my EP arrived via Roots CD yesterday morning, and as been played several times - more top tunes from the Devon ska men, buy and enjoy.
Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:11 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message