Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information More Specials songs on tour

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » 30th & beyond Anniversary Tour Chat  Goto page Previous  1, 2 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Paul Willo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh we did laugh Laughing Laughing

Id love that mate! Never say never is my motto
www.theskapones.co.uk

www.youtube.com/paulska67

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/TheSpecials2Com/245413985501746

www.roddyradiation.com

PostPosted:
Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:41 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
skacid
Too Hot

Yep, i'll go with that mate Laughing

www.chillisound.co.uk

http://38degrees.org.uk/
PostPosted:
Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:48 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Gatecrasher
Ska Face
Ska Face

A vinyl release of some sort would be great ... for the collectors/vinyl luuuuuurvers

Crasher Cool
Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:51 pm
bloblo67
Ska Face
Ska Face

Hi Pete,

I was also thinking that a best of, made out of all the live concerts would be a great thing, especially with the extra UK songs. Cool

I was a bit dissapointed after that first concert, because I had certain expectations being here on the forum and having the live dvd. That's why I enjoyed the second concert and the live cd so much more, because then I just enjoyed it all. Crying or Very sad Very Happy

They have their own reasons to play a shorter setlist then the 2009 UK tour, I would like to know why, but anyhow I think that most European fans don't even have seen the live dvd, so they don't know what they're missing.

But hey, should have played Ghost Town. Embarassed
PostPosted:
Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:30 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

I agree that the same sets should be played around the world, The Specials Albums were released in most country's not just in the UK so the album tracks are known worldwide. I can understand the sets being cut short at festivals but at in door venues like The Paradiso and others the complete sets should be played.

I traveled to Amsterdam to hear you're wondering now without Terry Hall and no Ghost Town on the 2nd night. I would have been very disappointed if I went to the Stockholm gig where Neville went missing for half the set (I know he wasn't well). so far the 2009 and 2010 setlists have been absolutely fine with me and the UK 2011 setlist will be even better, the 2011 European sets so far are the same as the 2010 In door dates minus the Skinhead Symphony and Too Hot. even New York didn't get to hear the Skinhead Symphony. you really have to travel to get the Full show these days. apart from the UK only Dublin and Belfast 2009 got the full Monty.

When The Specials announced earlier in the year that they were going to play both albums back to back that's what I was expecting at Belsonic and Amsterdam, even Terry said the same thing in a recent Interview about both albums being played but he didn't say in the UK only, if he had it would have made a big difference I think.

Anyway I'm glad I got to see all the shows with different setlists but I do feel sorry for fans in other country's who didn't and can't travel for whatever reasons but at least you can buy the live CD or Download the UK dates as they happen which is better than nothing. The Specials are playing in Brussels tonight if you are going enjoy yourself it's later than you think Smile
Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:57 am

I'm quite happy that the little ol' UK gets the best of something for a change!

Mind you, I did hear that the rainforest leg of the tour will see the band do both albums and all the B-sides in full.....
PostPosted:
Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:18 am
Top of Page
Gorni
Rudie
Rudie

Hi everyone,

I agree with PeteontheBeat & Sugarman: Went over from Germany to Brixton in 2009 on my Birthday then, which was a superb gig.

Went to Cologne to catch them playing more stuff from the "More Specials" Era, which was promised on various occasions before. Sadly missed "new" songs in the Setlist for us here in Germany, thatīs a bit dissapointing. I hoped to hear tunes like Pearlīs Cafe or Sock it to me, JB...

Itīs not fair for the fans who waited that long for our heroes...

Donīt get me wrong: I am a 2 Tone Collector for years, bought everything from the 2009 Tour (DVD,Shirts and so on), even bought the Cologne Recording half a year before the gig (not arrived yet) and would look forward for a download-link for those, who hadnīt had the chance to hear the tunes promised by the band before!

Also for the Collector in me I would like a vinyl deluxe release of all songs played on the complete Tour from different locations around Europe.

Keep the faith and stay rude, Cheers from Germany, Gorni.
PostPosted:
Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:03 am
bloblo67
Ska Face
Ska Face

Well, I agree with all.

But what can we do but enjoy yourselves because it's much, much later then we think.

I'm also aware The Specials are a difficult band to manage, six people and no real leader or leaders who know, or really like to communicate with the outside world. Crying or Very sad It probably will always be arduously, maybe that's why they're doing this Euro tour on just 80% of their capacity.
I mean, an old set list, an old concert look, less songs, in advance sold out venues so no need to do promotion, so they didn't, they didn't even promote the 2010 live DVD. I thought I would read something in the papers about the Specials, but nothing. Shocked
Also in this digital age it would have been easy to put them in a room, together or separate and to talk about the tour or answer some of our questions and put it online. Idea Cool

Well that's not the case, I hope they give some great concerts in the UK, and I hope there will be more room for spontaneity, but more important I hope they stay together and give it a chance to become more then a tribute band.
Because man I enjoyed myself and (I know that's another thread, but those) live-cd's are cool.
PostPosted:
Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:14 pm
Peter
Ska Face
Ska Face

Just to add about the Munich gig, Terry was visible not well as he kept drinking water and spitting it out beside the drumkit (no reflection on Brad's drumming) and at one time I thought he was going to pack it in, but in fairness he soldered on and I thought it was a great gig overall.

As for the set lists, I wasn't aware they maybe saving Pearl's and JB for the UK. I don't begrudge them doing it as every band juggles their songs about. I felt the songs sounded very polished and fresh but maybe the
band mightn't feel they just aren't ready to perform them live yet. As it was suggested maybe Rhoda might take to the stage in the UK for the song.

Now I'm in a conundrum, do I go to a UK gig now in the hope to hear these songs live after splashing out in Germany mmmmmmm
PostPosted:
Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:04 pm
Paul Willo
Site Admin
Site Admin

UK gig Very Happy
www.theskapones.co.uk

www.roddyradiation.com

PostPosted:
Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:36 pm
Gatecrasher
Ska Face
Ska Face

... as above .. no brainer Confused

Crasher Cool
Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:32 pm
bombscare79
Special

Paul Willo wrote:
Pete- thats a great idea and Im sure something the band will be interested in. Ill mention it. Cool
What about the horn section playing on Gangsters at Ally Pally? would they be interested in that? Could you mention it? I know i have flogged this to death but this is my last chance to hear it live and at the last gig it would be Special. Or Friday Night gig in Manchester
Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:57 pm
Paul Willo
Site Admin
Site Admin

i would also love to hear that mate! Cool
www.theskapones.co.uk

www.roddyradiation.com

PostPosted:
Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:55 am
Peter
Ska Face
Ska Face

I would also love to hear the horn section on Gangsters, it still sounds so fresh when I play it from the bands original gigs first time round.

Maybe there was some agreement on it to ensure the band got back together, like the guitars got the limelight on the solo. Probably like Roddy singing "Concrete Jungle" and not Terry on the tours.
PostPosted:
Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:57 am
bombscare79
Special

Paul Willo wrote:
i would also love to hear that mate! Cool
.Can this be suggested to the guys? any time ive posted this ( and there have been a few) it gets a good reception...
Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:03 pm
Rude Ninio
Stereotype

The Munich gig was great, a venue packed to the rafters, I've enjoyed every second of it in the first row, the guys gave their 100% and even 2 encores . I don't have the whole set list in my head, but more than "Pearl's Cafe" or "Sock it...." I've missed the Skinhead Symphony.
My favourites of "More Specials" were all played, including "Hey little rich girl"; a copy of the Live CD is on the way...
On the other hand I fully agree with Pete, Peter and Gorni that all the fans around the world should deserve the same treatment.
If the UK leg of the tour will enjoy extra songs and a longer set list, maybe it would be a good idea that the rest of the Specials' fans are compensated with a free download of the "extra tracks" Wink
Enjoy your weekend !
Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:40 pm
peteonthebeat
Ska Face
Ska Face

Paul Willo wrote:
Pete- thats a great idea and Im sure something the band will be interested in. Ill mention it. Cool

Any news on this now that the tour has finished?
PostPosted:
Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:22 am
Paul Willo
Site Admin
Site Admin

nothing yet. Everyone is absolutely knackered and Abbey Road are looking into the box set arrangement at the mo.
www.theskapones.co.uk

www.roddyradiation.com

PostPosted:
Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:27 am