Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Nyabinghi Reggae.

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » Specials & Other related video   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Stevo
Too Hot

Post subject: Nyabinghi Reggae. Reply with quote

Here's an example of this less than well known style of reggae, a song we should all know:

Niyabinghi drumming is not exclusive to the Niyabinghi order, and is common to all Rastafarians. Its rhythms are the basis of Reggae music, through the influential ska band, the Skatalites. It is said that their drummer revolutionized Jamaican music by combining the various Niyabinghi parts into a 'complete' "drum kit," which combined with jazz to create an entirely new form of music, known as ska. Niyabinghi rhythms were largely a creation of Count Ossie, who incorporated influences from traditional Jamaican Kumina drumming (especially the form of the drums themselves) with songs and rhythms learned from the recordings of Nigerian musician Babatunde Olatunji.

And here's another one you might know:

I'd be interested to know if this is the biggest hit in a Nyabinghi style, not counting Boney M as it wasn't done in this style?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kifaru-Roots-Rockers-Reggae/353161905852

www.kifaru.co.uk

http://www.myspace.com/kifarureggae
PostPosted:
Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:53 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website
the-ska-knight
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno what it's biggest hit would be but I do know that for 20 odd years I've been recommending African Head Charge to anyone that cared to listen. Songs Of Praise was an absolute revelation to me when I first encountered it, I'd honestly never heard anything quite like it. Most of their stuff is really good at least, but that particular LP is nothing short of exceptional. Sort of a mythical ancient African thing with an Adrian Sherwood makeover.
PostPosted:
Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:50 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
django
Gangster
Gangster

In terms of sales Rastaman Chant is probably the biggest seller on the Wailers Burnin' album. I think calling The Lunatics a nyabinghi track is pushing it a bit, but I see where you're coming from.

One of the most famous is Oh Carolina by the Folkes Brothers, although I doubt a lot of people who bought the Shaggy cover were in tune with it's origins.

I find the nyabinghi stuff alright in small doses, but prefer it as the percussive basis to more traditional roots reggae.

Wish I had lipstick on my shirt.....
PostPosted:
Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:00 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website
Stevo
Too Hot

django wrote:
. I think calling The Lunatics a nyabinghi track is pushing it a bit, but I see where you're coming from.

One of the most famous is Oh Carolina by the Folkes Brothers, although I doubt a lot of people who bought the Shaggy cover were in tune with it's origins.

I find the nyabinghi stuff alright in small doses, but prefer it as the percussive basis to more traditional roots reggae.

I dunno, Lunatics has the rhythmic tribal drumming & a chant as the chorus, okay it has instrumentation over it, but then so does Oh Carolina (which I'd forgotten about, good shout). Kifaru rehearsed a couple of nyabinghi chants, but you're right, to be honest could never have seen us playing them live would have bored the feck put of everybody but the most seasoned stoner. Although we did play the 12 Tribes church in Moss Side, would have been nice to have dropped one on them then Cool

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kifaru-Roots-Rockers-Reggae/353161905852

www.kifaru.co.uk

http://www.myspace.com/kifarureggae
PostPosted:
Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:23 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

Rico / Distant Drums (2 Tone)

Not available on Youtube but you can hear a sample below Smile

http://www.amazon.com/Distant-Drums/dp/B002XZ48YY
Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:02 pm
kev
Ska Face
Ska Face

Wingless Angels are great too
PostPosted:
Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:59 pm
JIMMY JAZ
Gangster
Gangster

the-ska-knight wrote:
I dunno what it's biggest hit would be but I do know that for 20 odd years I've been recommending African Head Charge to anyone that cared to listen. Songs Of Praise was an absolute revelation to me when I first encountered it, I'd honestly never heard anything quite like it. Most of their stuff is really good at least, but that particular LP is nothing short of exceptional. Sort of a mythical ancient African thing with an Adrian Sherwood makeover.

completely agree songs of praise is an absolute classic and worthy of a listen by anybody into african beats Wink
Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:53 pm