Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Madness unveil new album tracks @ Minehead

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » Who's who of current Ska ?  Goto page Previous  1, 2 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
phil wright
Special

Post subject: Reply with quote

Singles. What the hell are they these days? I remember when a 'single' was a 7-inch piece of plastic generally in a picture sleeve. Most 'singles' these days are just songs released on the internet. That, to me, is not a single. It is just a song on the internet. That means literally any song released on the internet could be regarded as a single. As for Madness having number one hits these days. Can't see it myself. There's too many people buying into trash churned out by X-Factor and the like.
PostPosted:
Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:56 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Pledge
Gangster
Gangster

Hugh wrote:
Have you been to Selsey Bill?

I think so, but not since it was mentioned in one of the finest Britpop coming of age songs ever.
PostPosted:
Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:04 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
Sugarman
Too Hot

I just watched some of the footage on youtube, The new album is much better than I expected at least their playing Ska again if nothing else.

TLONF is a good album and so was The Dangermen Sessions but this new album is more Uptempo and raw like early Madness mixed with Ian Dury and Prince Buster how it should be. this could be their best album since Keep Moving 27 years ago Shocked

I like the casual look it makes a change from those shiny Suits they get on my nerves sometimes.

I haven't been keeping up to date with Madness recently I'm really only interested in new material and what they are up to individually Like Suggs one man show and Lee's Ska Orchestra.

One of the new songs is called "You Can't Keep A Good Thing Down" that's one of the best I heard in ages. I'm glad I haven't heard the full versions of any of the new songs because I don't want to spoil it. I can wait until it's eventually released Smile
Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:56 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Pledge
Gangster
Gangster

Sugarman wrote:
I just watched some of the footage on youtube, The new album is much better than I expected at least their playing Ska again if nothing else.

TLONF is a good album and so was The Dangermen Sessions but this new album is more Uptempo and raw like early Madness mixed with Ian Dury and Prince Buster how it should be. this could be their best album since Keep Moving 27 years ago Shocked

I like the casual look it makes a change from those shiny Suits they get on my nerves sometimes.

I haven't been keeping up to date with Madness recently I'm really only interested in new material and what they are up to individually Like Suggs one man show and Lee's Ska Orchestra.

One of the new songs is called "You Can't Keep A Good Thing Down" that's one of the best I heard in ages. I'm glad I haven't heard the full versions of any of the new songs because I don't want to spoil it. I can wait until it's eventually released Smile

Paul that song You Can't Keep A Good Thing Down was originally a Crunch! song. Apparently I'm one of only about 5 people who have been there every time it has been played live, starting in Brighton when Crunch! played it.

Another one (possibly Misery) is a song from the One Stop Ske Experience that Lee was in with Jenny Belle Star and a few others.

Another one 'Powder Blue' may be another try at a song from the post Mad Not Mad days, although I've not been able to compare the demos.

You are right it is a shift in sound. One of my favourites and the one I think has a lot of promise is Death Of A Rude Boy. But 15 new songs and one with Lee singing lead vocal is promising. After the massive success of Norton Folgate, Total Madness and Complete Madness this album should be big. I mean big in 30 year old Madness terms, not big as in Adele selling somewhere approaching 4million in less than a year.

Speaking of the days after Mad Not Mad, it is possible that if they ever sort out who owns the rights to The Madness and reissue it in deluxe format like the other albums it could chart higher than the original did!

The next year will be very interesting. I'm going to start saving immediately in case they announce another Butlin's weekender!
PostPosted:
Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:06 am
Dell
Too Hot

Pledge wrote:
if they ever sort out who owns the rights to The Madness and reissue it in deluxe format like the other albums it could chart higher than the original did!

That's exactly what I stated on the Madness website, last year. I even asked Chrissy Boy if he fancied having a bet that the reissue would go higher in the chart than the original release ! I think there may even be a bet on between us both, if I can remember ?

As for the new Madness album and singles, well, yes. The new songs sound fantastic, and if the correct tune is chosen to be issued as a single to promote the album, the band could easily have another Top 30 hit. 1978 would be my choice. It's a corker, maaan.
Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:26 am
chemode
Too Hot

Harrysgame wrote:
Sorry to say i wasn't keen on Jerry Dammer's DJ set even when Dennis Alcapone came on stage to do some toasting for him.

Are you mental? I was at the weekend too and thought that Jerrys set was the highlight for me!! Everybody I spoke to said that they would definitly pay just to go to see Jerry doing a dj set....certainly suggs and chas enjoyed it too!!! And after his set he even had time to say hi, shake his hand and take a photo.....top geezer...no wonder he is known as The General!

Just aside, Madness were the best i've seen them in ages, considering i normally consider them just too polished for my liking... additionally if anyone hasn't seen or heard a band called "Missing Andy" check them out..awesome...look up MADE IN ENGLAND by them on you tube.

Oh Baxter Dury - shite...trying to hard to be an electro Joy Division!!

Fuck me my arms are getting big lol

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:57 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
Pledge
Gangster
Gangster

Dell wrote:
As for the new Madness album and singles, well, yes. The new songs sound fantastic, and if the correct tune is chosen to be issued as a single to promote the album, the band could easily have another Top 30 hit. 1978 would be my choice. It's a corker, maaan.

Dell are you mad sir? I see your 1978 and raise you 'Big Time Sister'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8h6LGxh89w

That vid starts off in 3D but you can revert it to normal viewing with a few clicks if need be.

Sounds like, and I'm guessing totally, that is is a song from Lee to his sister as previously featured in Embarrassment.

As for The Madness charting I've been keeping a very close eye on Madness' chart stats since Complete was reissued. (I occasionally write a tedious piece on their chart performance for the MISOnline.) With a little bit of a prod on one of the quieter weeks of the year it has a very good chance of doing better than the on week at number 65 it managed first time round.
PostPosted:
Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:25 pm
marigold
Too Hot

Nice pic of J.D. there Chemode !
yes : ) your arms are huge!
Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:14 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
chemode
Too Hot

marigold wrote:
Nice pic of J.D. there Chemode !
yes : ) your arms are huge!

Why thankyou maa'm Embarassed
Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:54 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
Dell
Too Hot

Pledge wrote:
Dell are you mad sir?

Very Happy

I often pretend that I am a tin of peas, so the answer is yes. I went off the rails when I was a youngster, after I was taken on board a silver egg shaped spacecraft by creatures from another world. They looked like a cross between a goldfish and Jimmy Hill.
Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:46 am