Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information THE SPECIALS "LIVE AT THE MARQUEE CORK 2012"

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » 30th & beyond Anniversary Tour Chat  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
natmwhite
Stereotype

Post subject: Reply with quote

its nearly hereeee!!!
PostPosted:
Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:10 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
leooa77
Ska Face
Ska Face

Where for the pre-gig meet-up
Heading to see the Naildrivers afterwards
PostPosted:
Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:03 pm
prende
Gangster
Gangster

Mr. Green

Twenty of us on a bus should be in Cork around 4 ish...

I,d say JURYS on the Quay would be the best place to go
before the gig, thats where you usually get a good crowd..
can,t FCUKIN wait now
Smile Smile Smile
PostPosted:
Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:25 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
drewster
Ska Face
Ska Face

Post subject: cork Reply with quote

Brilliant see ya there - The Quay it is!!
PostPosted:
Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:51 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
Devine
Rudie
Rudie

Post subject: After Gig Party Reply with quote

Anyone know if there are any after-gig parties going on? Very Happy
Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:22 pm
leooa77
Ska Face
Ska Face

The Naildrivers are playing in Crane Lane after 11pm Monday night, plan to head in there
PostPosted:
Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:08 pm
prende
Gangster
Gangster

Mr. Green
Was at Imelda May last nite, great show.
There was a Ska band called The Bionic Rats from Dublin on before Imelda May, they were very good, and went down well with the crowd.

See ye all in Cork tamorrow Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
PostPosted:
Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:47 pm
tank
Gangster
Gangster

It's here c ya in the pit start stompin....
Can't wait

PostPosted:
Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:15 am
eskanga
Ska Face
Ska Face

BRING IT ON!
This might be the last time we get to see the boys down south. Let`s all have a great night. Very Happy

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:45 am
tank
Gangster
Gangster

The verdict......an absolutely great night. The boys were on top form, really interacted with the crowd and the seemed genuinely overwhelmed with the reception they got. I have to say Brad's drumming is as crisp as I ever seen it. Terry was chatting to the crowd plenty as was Lynval and Nev. Made a great fuss over some youngfella that was suited and booted dedicated a message to you rudi to him & then after that Terry warned him to go home and go to bed early and make sure he had done his homework...go Terry! The encore of your wondering now was great, people stayed on for a good while chanting specials but to no luck. The roadie got booed when he started breaking down Brads drums, tough job! If they had came out again the roof of the tent would have been blown off!
It was such a diverse crowd at it, I suppose it shows you the influence the specials have had on a lot peoples lives.
Only negatives (small ones) of the night...no guns of navarone, liquidator or ghost town. Sound was a bit dodge here and there but I think it was the size of the venue (it was a tent after all). And what the fuck is the story with people spending the majority of the gig takin photos and texting? Jeeze leave it till after the gig and as the song says enjoy yourself!
Delighted I went & I look forward to the next one wink wink
Also I meet Sugarman after the show, a nice chap I must say.
PostPosted:
Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:12 am
marigold
Too Hot

Great post tank... I enjoyed reading this! - Sugarman Cool I agree! he is just cool....
Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:05 pm
eskanga
Ska Face
Ska Face

tank wrote:
The verdict......an absolutely great night. The boys were on top form, really interacted with the crowd and the seemed genuinely overwhelmed with the reception they got. I have to say Brad's drumming is as crisp as I ever seen it. Terry was chatting to the crowd plenty as was Lynval and Nev. Made a great fuss over some youngfella that was suited and booted dedicated a message to you rudi to him & then after that Terry warned him to go home and go to bed early and make sure he had done his homework...go Terry! The encore of your wondering now was great, people stayed on for a good while chanting specials but to no luck. The roadie got booed when he started breaking down Brads drums, tough job! If they had came out again the roof of the tent would have been blown off!
It was such a diverse crowd at it, I suppose it shows you the influence the specials have had on a lot peoples lives.
Only negatives (small ones) of the night...no guns of navarone, liquidator or ghost town. Sound was a bit dodge here and there but I think it was the size of the venue (it was a tent after all). And what the fuck is the story with people spending the majority of the gig takin photos and texting? Jeeze leave it till after the gig and as the song says enjoy yourself!
Delighted I went & I look forward to the next one wink wink
Also I meet Sugarman after the show, a nice chap I must say.

Can`t really add much extra to this. You summed the night up perfectly Tank. A brilliant night. Went down to Crane Lane after to the Naildrivers. Great band. The place was absolutely hopping. Can`t wait to do it all again sometime.
Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:18 pm
drimnagh hoop
Rudie
Rudie

Great night and the Naildrivers gig was brilliant as well.
PostPosted:
Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:59 pm
PaulN
Ska Face
Ska Face

Just in the door , tired and emotional to say the least . Red Zepplin before hand was top class , DJ had the place hopping and everyone in top form for the main event . Was talking to the DJ up at the tent , really nice guy fair play to him . The Specials didn't disappoint , cracking set from start to finish . Night Klub was my fav of the nite but every song was special .
Went down to the naildrivers afterwards and they very good , would love to see them again in a not so cramped venue .

Met the Sugarman - Top lad who really knows his stuff , it was great to put a face to the name .

I'm away to bed .
PostPosted:
Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:01 pm
jodo1979
Ska Face
Ska Face

Great show from start to finish. Really enjoyed Stone Foundations set they have a great sound. Brilliant atmosphere in the place by the time The Specials came on. As usual a flawless performance no surprises in the setlist but the crowd were loving it and the band all seemed in great form and really up for it. The Naildrivers gig was just a perfect end to the evening Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted:
Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:50 pm
prende
Gangster
Gangster

Mr. Green
Agree with all the above comments, there was a great vibe around Cork all day. The Specials were in top form and played a great set, crowd were really up for it aswell. We were so lucky to see them in Ireland again.. nothing quite like The Specials live Very Happy
PostPosted:
Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:15 pm
Stewart Rennie
Too Hot

Fucking love it !!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Offbeat-Offensive/101697799872701
PostPosted:
Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:54 pm
listentothelion
Rudie
Rudie

Couldn't agree with the comments above more The Specials were fantastic and the support band Stone Foundation were in fantastic form too, what a brilliant night, great venue and great atmosphere!! Smile
Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:56 am
prende
Gangster
Gangster

Mr. Green Saw this on the Evening Echo newspaper last night and to me this article really summed up the night really well, Here,s to the next time ...

TWO TONE LIVES AGAIN AS FANS RETURN TO THE EIGHTIES

SKA HEROES MAKE THE MARQUEE SPECIAL

It was black and white check suits all the way last night as Rude Boys (and girls) were out in force for The Specials Live at the Marquee.

Headed by lead singer, Terry Hall, they were one of the most iconic Two Tone
bands of the late 1970,s and into the 1980,s, where they launched the careers of others like Madness, The Beat and The Selecter. And last night
they didn,t let their loyal legion of fans down as they blasted out hit after hit
from A Message To You Rudy, Do The Dog, It,s Up To You, Concrete Jungle, Friday Night, Saturday Morning, and their all-time classics Stupid
Marrige and Too Much Too Young.
From the moment they took to the stage, starting with Do The Dog, they
had the near-capacity crowd rocking and they didn,t stop until after their
encore. But last night the crowd were entertained by their idols and taken
back to their youth, with many bringing their children along to show them
what they call real music!
Ska is very much alive and well and as long as bands like The Specials
are around.. and judging by the reaction of the crowd,
it will be for some time to come yet.
PostPosted:
Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:45 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

The Specials Cork 11/06/12

I caught the 13:00 Train to Cork on Monday and just as I was sitting down I met up with Des and two of his mates who were also going to The Specials we had a great chat on our way there. We arrived in Cork at 16:00 but then it had started to rain but thankfully it didn't last very long, after checking in at my Hotel I walked to The Red Zeppelin Bar and had a few Pints with the fans and friends going to the gig Leo, PaulN, Indianna, and Lynn Howard and her friend from The Skarettes.

I asked the DJ to play Nelson Mandela and he did then I asked for Racist Friend which he also played (I try not to forget about Jerry Dammers when I'm going to see The Specials) Anyway I got a Taxi to the marquee at 20:00 when I got there Stone Foundation were still playing, their last song was a cover of Tell Me When The Light Turns Green by Dexys Midnight Runners and what a brilliant version it was the Brass was amazing and really got me in the mood for The Specials.

I won't review the gig because "Tank" did already and my Review would be the same or very close. I spoke with "Tank" for a few minutes after the gig and he is a very nice person. I didn't really miss Ghost Town because I've heard them play it quite a few times between 2009 & 2012 if I can include Jerry's version of Ghost Planet featuring Rico that I heard in Norwich last month Wink after the gig I met Horace Panter for a few minutes just to say hello and thank you for putting on such a great show.

Then I headed off the see The Naildrivers a local Ska/Punk band I wasn't expecting very much from them after watching The Specials but they played a great Version of My Girl, The Prince, Let's Do Rocksteady and On My Radio the versions were based on how Madness, The Selecter and The Bodysnatchers would have played them on the 2 Tone Tour back in 1979/80.

The version of My Girl was much faster and played with a Keyboard not a Piano. the band was fronted by male and female singers and a great Saxophone player. the band also played Here Comes The Summer by The Undertones, Staring At The Rude Boys by The Ruts and a couple by The Jam and The Clash.

Then i had a last drink with Seamus and it was off to bed. next morning i met PaulN and his mates at the Train Station heading home with a Hangover like myself. a great time was had by all at The Cork Ska Takeover and the best before and after party ever. The Specials really are The Best Band on the planet Smile If I forgot anybody I Spoke to you can blame the Guinness Laughing

Enjoy Yourself It's Later Than You Think Very Happy

Last edited by Sugarman on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted:
Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:44 pm