Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Specials 2nd on Bill at Olympic Closing Ceremony

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » 30th & beyond Anniversary Tour Chat  Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
campervanbob
Rudie
Rudie

Post subject: Specials 2nd on Bill at Olympic Closing Ceremony Reply with quote

In last weekends Sunday Times Culture Magazine an interview with New Order asked if they were OK with being 3rd on the bill to Blur and Specials?

Is this true?

Anyone know any timings yet?
PostPosted:
Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:44 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
DanceIntoTheFire
Gangster
Gangster

Post subject: Re: Specials 2nd on Bill at Olympic Closing Ceremony Reply with quote

campervanbob wrote:
In last weekends Sunday Times Culture Magazine an interview with New Order asked if they were OK with being 3rd on the bill to Blur and Specials?

Is this true?

I do know The Specials will be on stage at around 7pm.

Enjoy Yourself, it's later than you think!

'You Kiss My Lips, And Take My Breath Away'
PostPosted:
Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Post subject: Reply with quote

That was always the line up. No surprise.
PostPosted:
Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:03 pm
Top of Page
Hugh
Too Hot

Will they be on the roof?
Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:21 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
marigold
Too Hot

...who are blur?
Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:32 pm
Hugh
Too Hot

Put on your bifocals Rolling Eyes

And I thought it was about athletics

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:37 pm

Hugh wrote:
Put on your bifocals Rolling Eyes

And I thought it was about athletics

New Order are looking well.
PostPosted:
Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:54 pm
Top of Page

marigold wrote:
...who are blur?

Blur are the headliners....and rightly so.

Majority of the people there would have got their tickets to see Blur.

I don't think The Specials could have sold out Hyde Park.
PostPosted:
Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:56 pm
Top of Page
bombscare79
Special

Post subject: Re: Specials 2nd on Bill at Olympic Closing Ceremony Reply with quote

DanceIntoTheFire wrote:
campervanbob wrote:

Is this true?

Are The Specials on after New Order ? If The Specials are on at 7 i dont see how you could have Bombay bicycle club and new order on before them when the gates open around 5.............. Its over at midnight and i fear 4 bands in 7 hours will give us a short set Crying or Very sad
Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:18 pm

bombscare79 wrote:
DanceIntoTheFire wrote:
campervanbob wrote:

Is this true?

Are The Specials on after New Order ? If The Specials are on at 7 i dont see how you could have Bombay bicycle club and new order on before them when the gates open around 5.............. Its over at midnight and i fear 4 bands in 7 hours will give us a short set Crying or Very sad

I thought Bombay Bicycle Club was the snack van.......
PostPosted:
Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:21 pm
Top of Page
bombscare79
Special

unfortunately not Crying or Very sad
Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:46 pm
DanceIntoTheFire
Gangster
Gangster

Nanker Phelge wrote:
bombscare79 wrote:
DanceIntoTheFire wrote:
campervanbob wrote:

Is this true?

I thought Bombay Bicycle Club was the snack van.......

To be honest .. I didn't expect The Specials having a very long setlist at Hyde Park. I read they are at be on at 7pm.

Let's say the three support bands have an hour and a half each .. that would be four and a half hours, giving Blur the rest of the time - which would be 2 and a half hours. That's probably all wrong Laughing .

I bet some wish Bombay Bicycle Club was the snack van.

PostPosted:
Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:49 pm
bombscare79
Special

.....................which would mean The Specials would be on 2nd as you couldnt have two bands on in 2 hours ( 5 to 7 ) then the boys for an hour and a half . that would mean blur for 3 hours . You also have to allow for changeover time . so either the bike boys or the order would be on after The specials ...... wrong!!!!! Blur dont have enough material to do 2 1/2 hours unless you want to hear real real shite
Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:09 pm
DanceIntoTheFire
Gangster
Gangster

I don't know .. I'm not good at all this Laughing . All I know is that there is a chance The Specials will be on at around 7pm - and if that's the case, they will probably be second to perform. Blur will have the longest set time. From what I've read, Blur did a 2 hour set list at Hyde Park in 2009. So I guess that's what their set time will be this year as well.

PostPosted:
Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:20 pm
bombscare79
Special

That would mean Specials at 7 Blur at 10...with one other band inbetween. With say 20 minute changeover between bands ..that would give an hour and ten minute set each.......I would hate to think Blur would get a two hour set as this gig isnt a Blur gig
Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:37 pm
campervanbob
Rudie
Rudie

Didn't know about Bombay Bicycle Club, don't care about them either.

Cannot believe that the gig will finish at midnight, saw Springsteen there in 2009 and he had a 10.30 curfew. That would mean Blur 2 hours puts them on stage at 8.30 and so the lads might only get a hour and 10 minutes to rip the place to bits
PostPosted:
Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:35 pm

bombscare79 wrote:
That would mean Specials at 7 Blur at 10...with one other band inbetween. With say 20 minute changeover between bands ..that would give an hour and ten minute set each.......I would hate to think Blur would get a two hour set as this gig isnt a Blur gig

It is a Blur gig really.

All the press and the interviews etc have been geared that way.

I reckon The Specials will get 1hr 20-30mins and Blur will get 1hr 45 - 2hrs.

They'll be 1/2 hr between them methinks.

Big set up like that they can do a swap out in 20mins easy.
PostPosted:
Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:45 pm
Top of Page

campervanbob wrote:
Didn't know about Bombay Bicycle Club, don't care about them either.

Cannot believe that the gig will finish at midnight, saw Springsteen there in 2009 and he had a 10.30 curfew. That would mean Blur 2 hours puts them on stage at 8.30 and so the lads might only get a hour and 10 minutes to rip the place to bits

I'm pretty certain there's a curfew.

And tube finish 12 - 12.15 so they won't risk stranding people there.

Springsteens curfew on 14th is 10.30 again!
PostPosted:
Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:47 pm
Top of Page
shaunius
Too Hot

Who's performing at the Opening & Closing Ceremony Celebration Concerts?

Blur have been confirmed to headline the Closing Ceremony Celebration Concert on Sunday 12th August 2012 with special guests New Order and The Specials plus Bombay Bicycle Club.

The artists performing at the Opening Ceremony Celebration Concert are Snow Patrol, Stereophonics, Duran Duran and Paolo Nutini.

Will I get to see the Opening and Closing Ceremonies during the Celebration Concerts?

Both the Opening and Closing Ceremony Celebration Concerts are timed to include key highlights from Opening and Closing Ceremonies broadcast live courtesy of the BBC from the Olympic Stadium. The celebration will be a mixture of live music and live footage.

http://www.btlondonlive.com/useful-info
PostPosted:
Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:57 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

Lucky For Some (I wish The Specials would do something like this) Question

Blur are back and have revealed that they are all set to debut two new songs next Monday (July 2) during a live video stream performance via Twitter, for all fans to see!

The band will perform 'Under The Westway' and 'The Puritan', both of which have been written for their upcoming sold-out gig in Hyde Park, London on August 12.

The two tracks will be aired live from a secret location and will be broadcast globally at 6.15pm, the guys have announced. The live footage will also include an interview, following the performance of the first track, before they then go on to debut the second track at 7.15pm.

So, Blur fans - looks like you're in for a night full of treats!

Both of the tracks will then be immediately available to download, before a limited edition double A-side single is then released on August 6th.

Commenting on the live video stream performance, Damon Albarn said: "I wrote these songs for Hyde Park and I’m really excited about getting out there and playing them for people."

Unlucky For Some (Could this also be the end or the beginning of The Specials) Question

Blur have cast doubt on their future once again, with bassist Alex James hinting that the band's show in Hyde Park this summer could be their last.

The band will headline a huge outdoor gig at London's Hyde Park on August 12, which sees them topping a bill that also includes New Order and The Specials. The gig has been put on to coincide with the closing ceremony of the Olympic games.

Speaking in a new video, which you can see by scrolling down to the bottom of the page and clicking, James said that the band are expecting "an emotional show" when they play Hyde Park and are unsure "if it will ever happen again".

He said of the band's plans for their Hyde Park show: "The shows we did in 2009 were the best we've ever done and to be asked to close the Olympics was something we didn't feel we could turn down. I think it's going to be quite an emotional show, we certainly get quite overwhelmed by playing the songs, which doesn't happen if you're playing them all the time."

He continued: "This is something that happens incredibly rarely and who knows if it will ever happen again? Or if this is the end or the beginning of the next chapter."
Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:15 pm