Information Ulster Hall Belfast 150th Anniversary

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Chat   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
bombscare79
Special

Post subject: Ulster Hall Belfast 150th Anniversary Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17964509

Very interesting piece of history.......................................THE SPECIALS played there in 81 i think. I saw The Cult and The beautiful South there great venue
Sun May 13, 2012 9:19 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
marigold
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your post and link, what a history Ulster Hall has and the photograph shows a beautiful building.
It made me think of the posts on The Forum -recently about Dexy's!

Quote:
"Unfortunately, the American floor was not quite strong enough to match the dancing force of the fans that flocked to support Dexy's Midnight Runners in 1980.
The floor again collapsed as the crowd danced to Come on Eileen, but they simply moved to the back of the hall and kept the show going"

From Bombscare's link.
Sun May 13, 2012 9:39 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Sugarman
Too Hot

Terri Hooley, whose Good Vibrations record label galvanised the Northern Irish punk music scene and would later launch local band The Undertones to a worldwide audience said it may have been "the only riot of the Troubles where Catholics and Protestants were fighting on the same side".

"This was a time when the IRA were blowing the city apart and loyalist gangs were killing Catholics - punk was a very united force against that - to be a punk was to be different from the past. The kids were fed up with the Troubles for the first time and the Ulster Hall would have played a big part in that," said Terri.
Sun May 13, 2012 9:52 pm
man at c&a
Gangster
Gangster

The Specials played here with The Beat in Jan 1981 and the band stayed in the nearby Europa Hotel. At the time it was the most bombed hotel in the world and gave Terry Hall the idea for the FB3 song 'The More I see (The Less I believe)'.

Horace in his book talked about amps etc being nicked after the gig Crying or Very sad

How Belfast and Northern Ireland has changed from those horrible days.
Sun May 13, 2012 10:00 pm
bombscare79
Special

A really beautiful building with great acoustics. A real miracle it has retained its original features as there were numerous massive car bombs nearby throughout the troubles...
Sun May 13, 2012 10:07 pm
Cormska
Stereotype

Great Venue,
I've seen The Clash(84) SLF (87 & a few years back) BAD (86) Green Day and Rancid there! Cool
The Dexys gig that the flaoor collapsed was 83 not 80!
Great stories about The Specials/Beat gigs and Bad Manners in 81! With all the "Nationalist" Skins upstairs spitting and pissing onto the " Loyalist" Skins down stairs!! Mad mad days!!
PostPosted:
Mon May 14, 2012 11:43 am
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

I am looking forward to watching the good vibrations film here at the end of may. I bought a good few records from terri when he had his record shop on great victoria street. When I bought the madness 12" dont quote me on that he said he would bring in some old reggae stuff from home if I was interested so managed to get hold of some nice old prince bustet 7"s
PostPosted:
Mon May 14, 2012 5:49 pm
loughers
Ska Face
Ska Face

Cormska wrote:
Great Venue,
I've seen The Clash(84) SLF (87 & a few years back) BAD (86) Green Day and Rancid there! Cool
The Dexys gig that the flaoor collapsed was 83 not 80!
Great stories about The Specials/Beat gigs and Bad Manners in 81! With all the "Nationalist" Skins upstairs spitting and pissing onto the " Loyalist" Skins down stairs!! Mad mad days!!

Was at that gig - didn't see any pissing from the balcony at all - in fact it was pretty good natured from what I recall!

You have to remember that the upstairs was filled with a fair proportion of "older" folk who just wanted a seat, not just the skins!! One wee lad was hanged by his feet (voluntarily) over the balcony in order to better abuse the donstairs crowd - all good fun though!!

Bad Manners were fucking brilliant that night.....
PostPosted:
Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:55 am