Too 80's! (in a bad way)
33%
 33%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 30

AuthorMessage
Harry
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

You're the best thing, Shout to the Top, Milton Keynes...
The Style Council did some great tunes and I'm always impressed by Mick Talbot's keyboard skills
Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:48 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Ally
Too Hot

Top band for me,The Jam were always gonna be a very hard act to follow(the Specials -Fun Boy Three).Lots of great songs wich is more than can be said for most other bands at the time.
Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:21 am
Liam_Ska
Too Hot

I love The Style Council Embarassed

I think they're really underrated. Quite a few of Weller's finest songs were written in the Council years ('Man of Great Promise', 'You're The Best Thing', 'The Whole Point Of No Return', 'It Just Came To Pieces In My Hands', 'The Paris Match', Walls Come Tumbling Down', 'Ghosts Of Dachau', 'Shout To The Top', 'Speak Like A Child', 'Changing Of The Guard', 'A Stone's Throw Away' etc.)

They were pretty innovative compared to The Jam and unafraid to try new things (funk, rap, classical, house etc). This didn't always make for great music (I've not heard many worse songs than 'Right To Go', for example!) but listening to them got me into lots of other great music.

The best Style Council album by far is 'Our Favourite Shop', despite Lenny Henry's vocal on 'The Stand Up Comic's Instructions' Shocked A lot of their later stuff gets slagged off but I really like the 'Confessions Of A Pop Group' album, particularly the 10 minute long title track. Even '1990: A New Decade In Modernism' has some really good tracks ('Sure Is Sure', 'That Spiritual feeling').

I do prefer The Jam to TSC but not by much to be honest. I also love Weller's solo work especially the last 2 albums '22 Dreams' and 'Wake Up The Nation'. These are the best albums he's done since 'Wild Wood', a lot of the new album is reminiscent of The Jam (Bruce Foxton appears on a couple of tracks) and may suprise those of you who do not care for his solo output.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TimeTunnelLondon
PostPosted:
Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:24 pm
area 7
Gangster
Gangster

2tonelol wrote:
Grant wrote:
Yoo-hoo, Yankee in the house!

I'm American and I love Style Council...........as much as I love Spandau Ballet, ABC, and Culture Club......2Tonelol!!!!!

Whilst your in the mood for embarrassing confessions,
*stands up*
My name is 2tonelol and i am an alcoholic,i had my last drink 3 mins ago.

Of all the things the British sent you why? Why?? Spandau Ballet, ABC, and Culture Club??????
Look for bands like Dollar,Bucks fizz,Winifred school choir,Clive Dunn,Black lace These sound right up your Freeway!

St Winifred School Choir and their touching rendition of "Grandad we love you " happens to be one of my all time faves along with Hurt by Nine Inch Nails and The Ace of Spades by Motorhead.
Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:11 pm
Huggy
Ska Face
Ska Face

Yank here Smile I love the Jam first and foremost. Great music was created no doubt. I also love some of the Style Council music -Shout to the Top, Speak Like a Child, etc. I even like some of the instrumentals: Our Favorite Shop, Mick's up..

This is my view of things: Paul wanted to move on to something new. I think for him, the Style Council period was a time of experimentation and having fun - doing things like running off to Paris to kick around in cafes, making the press question his relationship with Talbot, getting involved more politically etc. Of course his fans, wanted him to be the same, and they weren't having fun with him. So they stopped paying attention.

I personally did not enjoy his foray into rap and house music. I can enjoy music in those styles, but his stuff didn't work for me. On a side note, I did enjoy the Young Disciples album, which I think he had a hand in.

When that experiment was over, he moved on to his solo career and it took a while to find himself musically.
PostPosted:
Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:15 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

I like everything by The Jam, The Style Council and I like some of Wellers solo stuff As Is Now is his best solo album. The Style Council's Our Favorite Shop is also a Classic Smile
Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:09 pm
area 7
Gangster
Gangster

Weller is a real musical genius, he seems never afraid to change direction, try new things and has such a strong sense of self belief that i really love. If anyone is in any doubt take a listen to 22 Dreams and Wake Up The Nation. Cool
Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:32 pm
guts
Too Hot

if it ain't the jam it ain't right.
always found all his other projects pretty middle of the road.
PostPosted:
Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:24 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
Hugh
Too Hot

I thought Modern Conveniences and Panties was a good album.
Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:39 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
2nd city blue
Rudie
Rudie

the style council Smile

loved the jam aswell, but his latest solo effort, " wake up the nation " is awful.

how did this garbage get past quality control?

also, fancy not speaking to your mate for 27yrs, it took the death
of bruce`s wife to get in touch.
PostPosted:
Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:24 pm
Hugh
Too Hot

From the Belfast Bugle:

The Modfather pulls the crowd, but the ex-Dr Feelgood guitarist delivers the magic

It’s typical. You wait ages for a critically acclaimed former punk trailblazer to play Belfast, then two come along at once. Whoever has put Wilko Johnson up against Paul Weller needs their head looking at. Despite making waves again as the subject of the Julien Temple documentary film Oil City Confidential, the ex-Dr Feelgood guitar hero doesn’t stand a chance.

With everyone tapping their loafers along to Weller’s middle-of-the-road dad-rock at the Belsonic festival in Custom House Square, Johnson has to content himself with a sparsely attended Oh Yeah Music Centre, where he is opening this year’s Belfast City Blues Festival.

Thanks to his work with the Feelgoods, Wilko Johnson – embarrassingly misspelled ‘Wilco Johnston’ on the festival’s website – is a major name in punk lore, and it’s a thrill to see Weller recognise this with a guest spot for the man at the Custom House Square gig, during the appropriately jerky ‘From the Floorboards Up’.

It’s one of 'the Modfather’s' only concessions to his punk past, though. The one-time Jam leader doesn’t rock too hard for fear of scuffing the expensive shoes he’s no doubt wearing. (It’s hard to see from what feels like half a mile away, and there’s no way I’m going up front with a thousand lairy mods.)

Instead, Weller acts the 'artist' – keyboards here, acoustic guitars there. The surly singer wheels out a series of interminable space-rock epics, the likes of which would have had him lynched if he’d attempted them in ’79. A smattering of Jam numbers are performed begrudgingly (he even has his keyboard-player sing ‘Start!’), but for the most part it’s ‘The Changingman’, ‘You Do Something to Me’ and so on.

That he refuses to play classics such as ‘In the City’, ‘News of the World’ or ‘Going Underground’ – or indeed to give the people what they really want and reunite with Bruce Foxton and Rick Buckler – is a shame bordering on a disgrace.

After Weller finally trundles offstage, the smart punters head round to the Oh Yeah, where Wilko, Norman Watt-Roy and Dylan Howe are a few songs into their set. Visually, they resemble three ageing crazies who have decided to start a band. Drummer Howe – the son of Yes genius Steve – dispatches the shuffle beats, grinning like a madman who’s just soiled himself.

Blockheads bass legend Watt-Roy, all rotting teeth and straggly hair, is hunched over his instrument, doing unspeakable things to the strings. Wilko machine-guns the audience with a battered, black Telecaster, charging from side to side of the cramped stage, flashing the lunatic stare that Johnny Rotten pinched and made his own.

The place is near deserted, but a gentleman who appears to be Johnson’s number-one fan careers around the dancefloor in a rain mac, imitating the guitarist’s moves and bouncing along to the likes of ‘Paradise’, ‘Woolly Bully’ and ‘Don’t Let Your Daddy Know’.

The trio wrap up the all-too-brief show with Dr Feelgood anthems ‘Back in the Night’ and ‘She Does It Right’, before returning for an extended take on Chuck Berry’s ‘Bye Bye Johnny’. The storming, 10-minute jam showcases all of Johnson’s talent, integrity and raw charisma. Weller may have pulled the crowd, but Wilko brought the magic.
Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:33 pm
2nd city blue
Rudie
Rudie

don`t know why he bothers doing any jam stuff, he plays it too slow.
PostPosted:
Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:44 pm
Shan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I stand by what I said in 2004, lol!
Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:59 pm
phil wright
Special

Shout To The Top: brilliant!!
PostPosted:
Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:13 pm
Parkapunk
Special

Liam_Ska wrote:
I love The Style Council Embarassed

I think they're really underrated. Quite a few of Weller's finest songs were written in the Council years ('Man of Great Promise', 'You're The Best Thing', 'The Whole Point Of No Return', 'It Just Came To Pieces In My Hands', 'The Paris Match', Walls Come Tumbling Down', 'Ghosts Of Dachau', 'Shout To The Top', 'Speak Like A Child', 'Changing Of The Guard', 'A Stone's Throw Away' etc.)

They were pretty innovative compared to The Jam and unafraid to try new things (funk, rap, classical, house etc). This didn't always make for great music (I've not heard many worse songs than 'Right To Go', for example!) but listening to them got me into lots of other great music.

The best Style Council album by far is 'Our Favourite Shop', despite Lenny Henry's vocal on 'The Stand Up Comic's Instructions' Shocked A lot of their later stuff gets slagged off but I really like the 'Confessions Of A Pop Group' album, particularly the 10 minute long title track. Even '1990: A New Decade In Modernism' has some really good tracks ('Sure Is Sure', 'That Spiritual feeling').

I do prefer The Jam to TSC but not by much to be honest. I also love Weller's solo work especially the last 2 albums '22 Dreams' and 'Wake Up The Nation'. These are the best albums he's done since 'Wild Wood', a lot of the new album is reminiscent of The Jam (Bruce Foxton appears on a couple of tracks) and may suprise those of you who do not care for his solo output.

Your pretty much right mate. "Our Favourite Shop" is one of my all time fave albums. I also love all the other 'Council' albums. Yes "The Cost of Loving" was a let down but even that has a few good tracks on it. And i think The Style Council where more Mod then The Jam.

A mate of mine always says "The thing is with Weller, even when he's a bit crap... he's still good and still better then most other artists."

Cool
Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:39 pm
Hugh
Too Hot

Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:01 pm
Liam_Ska
Too Hot

Sugarman wrote:
I like everything by The Jam, The Style Council and I like some of Wellers solo stuff As Is Now is his best solo album. The Style Council's Our Favorite Shop is also a Classic Smile

Good to see someone sticking up for 'As Is Now' - you're the first person I've ever heard say it's his best lp, Sugarman and good on you. Personally, I think it's one of his worst, not a patch on the last two, great singles on it though.

That's what I like about talking about artists like Weller - is that people's favourite albums differ massively. Always interesting to find out fellow fans faves Very Happy

PostPosted:
Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:23 pm
Parkapunk
Special

Sorry Hugh but...

The guy who wrote that Weller review must be one hell of a prick. He's ovbviously already made his mind up what he already thinks of Weller before he even wrote the review. Is he another one of those sad people who only wants to hear Jam songs?

If he doesn't like Weller then why didn't he just go the Wilko gig?
Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:25 pm
Hugh
Too Hot

Parkapunk wrote:
Sorry Hugh but...

The guy who wrote that Weller review must be one hell of a prick. He's ovbviously already made his mind up what he already thinks of Weller before he even wrote the review. Is he another one of those sad people who only wants to hear Jam songs?

Don't worry, I'm totally neutral on celebrity but it's fun to punt the big-headed ones; I figure they better be able to take it. Very Happy

I like a good show but I'm not going to worship someone for being famous.
Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:46 pm
Liam_Ska
Too Hot

Parkapunk wrote:
Sorry Hugh but...

Totally agree about the reviewer.
"That he refuses to play classics such as ‘In the City’, ‘News of the World’ or ‘Going Underground’ – or indeed to give the people what they really want and reunite with Bruce Foxton and Rick Buckler – is a shame bordering on a disgrace."

Why the fuck would he play Bruce Foxton's 'News of the World'? Also, he has played both 'In The City' and 'Going Underground' during solo shows Rolling Eyes So, doing new material and not relying on former glories is 'bordering on a disgrace'?!?!

PostPosted:
Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:18 pm