Information Marley or Lennon

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music  Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
bigdave
Special

Post subject: Marley or Lennon Reply with quote

Here's a general question ,
Had they both avoided a sadly early demise who would have had a greater effect on the world we live in
For me it'd have to be Bob Marley , the man was mesmeric ,I'd loved to have seen him live , he had a presence and aura similar to Mandlela
Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:14 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Hugh
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonoious Monk for me but

Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:01 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Imani
Too Hot

Post subject: Re: Marley or Lennon Reply with quote

bigdave wrote:
Here's a general question ,
Had they both avoided a sadly early demise who would have had a greater effect on the world we live in
For me it'd have to be Bob Marley , the man was mesmeric ,I'd loved to have seen him live , he had a presence and aura similar to Mandlela

I'd say Marley. Lennon was always spot on with his political insights when interviewed, yet it seemed his final musical output was more love song oriented (could be wrong here, just going by the singles). Marley, on the other hand, was poised to really break through in America, he was just making inroads into Africa and if anything, was even more firebrand politically. Which probably explains his early demise!
PostPosted:
Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:38 am
Harry
Too Hot

It's so hard to say what would have happened if Bob Marley had lived. It was interesting to see (in the recent Marley documenatry film) footage of the young Robert Mugarbe. I like to think if Bob was still around he'd be helping underdogs, standing up for his beliefs and still making great music. However, when you read about the sad death of Peter Tosh I wonder is it likely that Marley would also have been targeted by kidnappers and murderers and would have come to a sticky end.
In 1980 John Lennon was making records like Nobody Told Me and was really into ska, Madness and New Wave bands like Costello, B52s etc. I think the last thing he recorded was Serve Yourself which is a very angry, funny sneer at Bob Dylan sung in a mad Lilly Savage type voice. At a total guess I'd say he'd make records like Paul Simon/Lou Reed have done where some a great and some are not so great. I think he'd also continue to be very opinionated and (like John Lydon) he'd go on Question Time and say some great things and some not so great things. I could have imaigined him at Live Aid singing with Elton John and things like that. And I can imagine him protesting against the attack of Iraq
Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:44 am
Danbert
Gangster
Gangster

Tough call, Lennon clearly more appealing to white Middle Class whereas Marley was, in my opinion, the more believable...

Both hugely important whatever your feelings about them. I'd like to think Bob would have actually achieved more and thus been more influential.

Neither holds a candle to Buster Bloodvessel though Wink
Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:39 pm
Harry
Too Hot

[quote=Neither holds a candle to Buster Bloodvessel though Wink[/quote]

wise words mate
Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:09 pm
Imani
Too Hot

Harry wrote:
It's so hard to say what would have happened if Bob Marley had lived. It was interesting to see (in the recent Marley documenatry film) footage of the young Robert Mugarbe. I like to think if Bob was still around he'd be helping underdogs, standing up for his beliefs and still making great music. However, when you read about the sad death of Peter Tosh I wonder is it likely that Marley would also have been targeted by kidnappers and murderers and would have come to a sticky end.
In 1980 John Lennon was making records like Nobody Told Me and was really into ska, Madness and New Wave bands like Costello, B52s etc. I think the last thing he recorded was Serve Yourself which is a very angry, funny sneer at Bob Dylan sung in a mad Lilly Savage type voice. At a total guess I'd say he'd make records like Paul Simon/Lou Reed have done where some a great and some are not so great. I think he'd also continue to be very opinionated and (like John Lydon) he'd go on Question Time and say some great things and some not so great things. I could have imaigined him at Live Aid singing with Elton John and things like that. And I can imagine him protesting against the attack of Iraq

Harry, I'd never heard Nobody Told Me... cheers for that. Very much on point lyrically, I'm guessing he also intended it as a 'homage' to Instant Karma.

One thing I can say is after Marley's death, reggae didn't seem to have the same impact politically, although it obviously did as a musical form.
PostPosted:
Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:53 pm
Psycho
Ska Face
Ska Face

I was thinking only recently how interesting it would have been if these two had collaborated in some way. Sadly they never met. Marley did briefly meet George Harrison though: http://www.feelnumb.com/2011/05/13/george-harrison-meets-bob-marley/

The Wailers are playing Indigo2 in September. They're playing the complete Legend album
PostPosted:
Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:57 pm
kev
Ska Face
Ska Face

Tough call but I think Lennon put forward the better arguments. Marley seems to have become 'cool' lately for the love and respect aspect, but I think Lennon was more hardcore. Shame they're both not here as it would have been great to see what might have been. That said, despite their opinions etc, they were both hypocrites to a degree.
PostPosted:
Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:25 pm

Both politically idealistic, naive and flawed, and both seekers of some kind of unified peace. I suspect they would have got on well.

Not sure Lennon would have gone in for Live Aid and charity singles etc, but I suspect he would have stood up for more politically charged causes like anti-apartheid and Human rights.

I think Lennon would have made more challenging music, while Marley's would have probably stuck with reggae and become quite diluted over time.

Hard to know for sure though.
PostPosted:
Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:47 pm
Top of Page
Harry
Too Hot

Paul McCartney is in the video for One Love that Don Letts directed. Did McCartney and Marley never meet? I never liked Paul's attempts at reggae (Too Many People, C Moon, the slow bit of Live & Let die etc). I never really rated Wings or Frog chorus but loved all his Beatles stuff.

Jimmy Cliff still sounds great and looks fine and dandy but he hasn't made any vital records (in my opinion) since the 70s. But (had he lived) I have a feeling Lennon would still be capable of surprising us all. I guess I'm basing this on the wierd and wonderful things Yoko still gets up to. I have a feeling Marley wouldn't have topped his previous best and would have had a go at hip hop and stuff and not quite cut it. Maybe his career would be more like James Browns? (some great live shows, a few interesting collaborations but ultimately more press for craziness) One of his children is married to the silly woman from The Fugees. I can imagine Bob making dodgy records with her and Wycliff Jean and things like that. But, every now and then, he'd appear on TV and do a live version of one of his classics and bring the house down.
Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:54 pm
marigold
Too Hot

Great thread! and can someone stop me wanting to eat all of these please Smile

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:47 pm

marigold wrote:
Great thread! and can someone stop me wanting to eat all of these please Smile

Food for thought.
PostPosted:
Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:40 pm
Top of Page

Harry wrote:
Jimmy Cliff still sounds great and looks fine and dandy but he hasn't made any vital records (in my opinion) since the 70s. But (had he lived) I have a feeling Lennon would still be capable of surprising us all. I guess I'm basing this on the wierd and wonderful things Yoko still gets up to. I have a feeling Marley wouldn't have topped his previous best and would have had a go at hip hop and stuff and not quite cut it. Maybe his career would be more like James Browns? (some great live shows, a few interesting collaborations but ultimately more press for craziness) One of his children is married to the silly woman from The Fugees. I can imagine Bob making dodgy records with her and Wycliff Jean and things like that. But, every now and then, he'd appear on TV and do a live version of one of his classics and bring the house down.

My thoughts pretty much.....
PostPosted:
Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:41 pm
Top of Page
Hugh
Too Hot

In Australia, Lemon and Barley is delicious and refreshing
Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:43 am
Harry
Too Hot

Watch this clip of Julian Lennon and Chuck Berry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YcPtitpLkk
Would a tour of Ziggy and Julian doing their Dad's songs be any good I wonder?
Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:01 pm
Hugh
Too Hot

Probably not, but people would line up to get in Rolling Eyes
Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:04 pm
Harry
Too Hot

The set list....
Julian sings Too Late For Goodbyes and Saltwater and then talks about his dad for a bit and then sings Strawberry Fields.
Ziggy sings Tomorrow People, Iron like Zion, No Woman No Cry and then talks about his Dad for a bit.
Julian sings Could You be Loved
Ziggy sings Jealous Guy
Encore:
Julian sings Imagine
Ziggy sings: One Love
Ziggy & Julian sing Ebony & Ivory
Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:35 pm
Hugh
Too Hot

Definitely not my bag