Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information The English Beat Starring Dave Wakeling / New Album

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Nutty
Gangster
Gangster

Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Yep agree with you Kenny Laughing Great album which gets better every play Cool Worth the wait if you didnt pledge Laughing Laughing

Nutty Wink Cool
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:57 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
nite_klub_man
Special

Surprisingly good album. Wasn't sure what to expect, but i like it!

https://www.facebook.com/2ToneCollection/

PostPosted:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:34 pm
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

lts ok, not worth nearly a 4 year wait, wont get caught like that ever again.
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:43 pm
kennybacon
Special

I would say it is an alright album, not going to knock it or rave about it.
Has a summery, bouncy beat about it, I definitely would not call it a Ska album (which is the genre on the download).

Noticed it never made the UK top 100 last Friday, 4 years to build up all those pre sales and not made the charts - must of been all those refunds he forced people to take. Incidentally, he forced me to take a refund for a signed CD and promised I would still get it... still hasn't arrived funnily enough.
Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:43 pm
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

He really has spoilt his reputation with people. He got into a few arguments on Pledge over it, wasnt very nice about some of it either. Was really quite abrupt with people, who were quite valid in asking what the hell was going on.
What annoys me, and although its only a couple of quid, but l could have bought it cheaper on Amazon if l hadnt pledged, and still got an auto rip of it as well. So the download and cd from Pledge proved more expensive in the long run. Letting fans down again there l think.
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:51 pm
kennybacon
Special

bluearmy78 wrote:
He really has spoilt his reputation with people. He got into a few arguments on Pledge over it, wasnt very nice about some of it either. Was really quite abrupt with people, who were quite valid in asking what the hell was going on.
What annoys me, and although its only a couple of quid, but l could have bought it cheaper on Amazon if l hadnt pledged, and still got an auto rip of it as well. So the download and cd from Pledge proved more expensive in the long run. Letting fans down again there l think.

I pledged again a few weeks before release for the signed album artwork and that came with a download of the album, I was pretty sure he wouldn't send me the signed CD he promised. I have emailed pledge to chase that up just to be an annoyance to him.

To be fair to him, he did look after people who didn't criticise him for the delays with guest passes to gigs, but if you were disgruntled and looking for answers - he treat you like you were a trouble maker and gave it a 'if you don't like it, get a refund' attitude.
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:49 pm
chemode
Too Hot

He's a horrible man.

I had the nerve to complain and he sent me a private message:

"get a refund, record is not for you...
how long did your last one take mr rudie?! x"

I replied:
"I'll take the refund seeing as it will be on general sale before I receive it.
Christ, Roger and Pauline treat their fans better.
Having been a fan for about 40 years I expected better but you are a disappointment."
Cool
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:17 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
kennybacon
Special

chemode wrote:
He's a horrible man.

I replied:
Having been a fan for about 40 years I expected better but you are a disappointment."
Cool

What did he mean by 'how long did your last one take'?

He is a narcissist, can't handle a bit of justified flak and turns on anyone who gives it to him - there are a few of us on here that have been on the receiving end from him. Pisses me off that he has a dig a people and then puts a x on the end as if it is meant light heartedly, but clearly it is not or he wouldn't be forcing them into taking refunds.
The pledgers who said they didn't mind the wait and it will be worth it in the end were rewarded for their loyalty, because this feeds his narcissistic personality.
He has shown throughout that he is unable to deal with criticism and just hold his hands up and apologise.

A bit of a Donald Trump is Dave.
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:23 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

I was never in any hurry for the album after I paid for my copy a few years ago because I knew it would eventually be released and now it has, that's all that matters now. though if it was Terry Hall the long wait would have killed me LOL Smile
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:42 pm
bombscare79
Special

kennybacon wrote:
chemode wrote:
He's a horrible man.

I replied:
Cool

He is a narcissist, can't handle a bit of justified flak and turns on anyone who gives it to him - there are a few of us on here that have been on the receiving end from him. Pisses me off that he has a dig a people and then puts a x on the end as if it is meant light heartedly, but clearly it is not or he wouldn't be forcing them into taking refunds.
The pledgers who said they didn't mind the wait and it will be worth it in the end were rewarded for their loyalty, because this feeds his narcissistic personality.
He has shown throughout that he is unable to deal with criticism and just hold his hands up and apologise.

A bit of a Donald Trump is Dave.

Yeah Trump cant sing either i hear....... His performance on Jools at new year was a disgrace, an absolute disgrace.
Needs to retire or pick a different career.
Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:49 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

bombscare79 wrote:

Yeah Trump cant sing either i hear....... His performance on Jools at new year was a disgrace, an absolute disgrace.
Needs to retire or pick a different career.

Along with Pauline Black, I would have put Dave Wakeling down as the best vocalist of the 2 Tone lot. I don't know if he had a cold or something but I agree he sounded well off the mark on Jools Holland.

I listened to the new album on Spotify and it's not a bad effort at all. The first 6 or so tracks are much stronger than the rest, but still worth a spin.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:15 am
Imani
Too Hot

It feels more like a Dave Wakeling solo record than a Beat one. Or a General Public-type of album.

As much as music changes with time and circumstance, I miss the unorthodox approach to music that Shuffle and Andy Cox brought to the Beat's table. Though I think Roger's version is a little nearer to the original essence.

Sorry to anyone if that's seen as a bit reactionary and a bit 'if only', but just my honest thoughts.

Last edited by Imani on Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:00 am
chemode
Too Hot

kennybacon wrote:
chemode wrote:
He's a horrible man.

I replied:
Cool

I have no idea. He's a disagreeable little man.
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:13 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
sweetdudejim
Stereotype

Imani wrote:
It feels more like a Dave Wakeling solo record than a Beat one. Or a General Public-type of album.

As much as music changes with time and circumstance, I miss the unorthodox approach to music that Shuffle and Andy Cox brought to the Beat's table. Though I think Roger's version is a little nearer to the original essence.

Sorry to anyone if that's seen as a bit reactionary and a bit 'if only', but just my honest thoughts.

I agree that it's different. Here's the deal though. I think Here We Go Love is way more of a logical progression of the band that made I Just Can't Stop It, then Wha'ppen and then Special Beat Service then what Roger made. Like you can see the changes from every album leading to the newest one.

Here We Go Love, to me, had surprises. Yes, you got some straight up ska ("How Can You Stand There") and some reggae ("Redemption Time" and "Be There for You") along with some rocksteady ("Dem Call It Ska"), but you also had some just great pop songwriting with tunes like "The One and the Only", which reminds you this was the band that gave us "Save It For Later" and "I Confess" amongst others. Also you didn't just get ska or reggae revival material. You also got that Caribbean flavor that you heard on Wha'ppen and Special Beat Service.

Whereas with Roger's record, there were no surprises, it was just a re-creation of I Just Can't Stop It with a smattering of the reggae of Wha'ppen and nearly none of the world music touches or Caribbean-flavored pop that made Special Beat Service a great album. Instead you just got ska and reggae by numbers for the most part. Never mind the fact that, let's be honest, Dave is the lead singer and songwriter of the band, whereas Roger was a background singer and toaster. I know the whole band was credited as writers back in the day, but from the sounds of Bounce it doesn't sound like Roger has much chops as far as that goes. "Close the Door" is pretty much a straight up rewrite of General Public's "General Public" and "Walking on the Wrong Side" is a mash-up of "Rockin' in the Free World" and "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da."

I'm not a Wakeling fanboy either. I just think his music is more worthwhile. There's a reason Pete Townshend and Pearl Jam cover "Save It For Later" an and not..."Pato and Roger Ago Talk" or "Spar Wid Me" (as much as I love those songs).
PostPosted:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:24 pm
sweetdudejim
Stereotype

Also the whining about how long the album took, both on the PledgeMusic site and on here, is ridiculous. Making music isn't like making a hamburger. Inspiration comes and goes. And recording isn't simple. Sure, Dave coulda thrown some halfass shit on tape and issued it quickly. But I'm glad he didn't. I'd rather he get the final product to his specifications.

Anyways, as far as a wait, have the fine people of this board ever heard of an album called In The Studio? Some band made that record, can't remember the name, but all together it was great and worth the wait in my opinion. Very Happy

Not to mention things like The Beach Boys SMiLE and Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy, four years or so wasn't such a wait.
PostPosted:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:12 pm
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

I do not think anyone has complained about the length of time it took in terms of creativity etc. But if you walk into a store and hand over money for a product, you don't expect them to take your hard earned cash and say come back in 4 years time, and I will hand over the product then. Even then, this is not what happened - we got a plethora of excuses for delays along the way. And it is only the CD that is available now. People are still waiting for the vinyl, T shirts, and other pledge items.The comment above about how long did your last one take presumably is a reference to the fans not understanding the process I.e. you have never released music so don't criticise me for how long this album took. Which is just rude.

All that aside, it is a really consistently good album. And it sounds current while still maintaining The Beat sound. I would always rather wait a long time for a great LP, than a short time for a bad one. Obviously.
PostPosted:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:14 pm
Imani
Too Hot

sweetdudejim wrote:
Also the whining about how long the album took, both on the PledgeMusic site and on here, is ridiculous. Making music isn't like making a hamburger. Inspiration comes and goes. And recording isn't simple. Sure, Dave coulda thrown some halfass shit on tape and issued it quickly. But I'm glad he didn't. I'd rather he get the final product to his specifications.

Anyways, as far as a wait, have the fine people of this board ever heard of an album called In The Studio? Some band made that record, can't remember the name, but all together it was great and worth the wait in my opinion. Very Happy

Not to mention things like The Beach Boys SMiLE and Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy, four years or so wasn't such a wait.

Clearly the Pledge way of putting out music works for some artists better than it does others.

Though there's a major difference between old-school album releases and modern day crowd-funded releases. Before, people would wait until the thing came out; today, people are still prepared to wait - but unlike the past, they've already paid their money. From the beginning, there's an expectation because they've paid upfront and there's a specific date set. That's just how it is now, for good and for bad, and had crowd funding been in operation in decades gone by, many fans would react in the same way.

I'm sure most people can allow for delays, which can be for all sorts of reasons. But being abrupt towards customers only really works in a Fawlty Towers sketch. When things drag on TOO long, it can lose the moment, which can result in people losing interest. I felt even when things were getting put back 6 months and a year that it lost the moment, that initial excitement.

By the way, re 'In The Studio': it was certainly worth the wait, yet isn't it interesting that the strongest and best-known song on that album actually took the quickest to record? As much as labouring over something can result in magic, there's a lot to be said for spontaneity.
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:26 pm
kennybacon
Special

Imani wrote:
sweetdudejim wrote:

Clearly the Pledge way of putting out music works for some artists better than it does others.

Though there's a major difference between old-school album releases and modern day crowd-funded releases. Before, people would wait until the thing came out; today, people are still prepared to wait - but unlike the past, they've already paid their money. From the beginning, there's an expectation because they've paid upfront and there's a specific date set. That's just how it is now, for good and for bad, and had crowd funding been in operation in decades gone by, many fans would react in the same way.

I'm sure most people can allow for delays, which can be for all sorts of reasons. But being abrupt towards customers only really works in a Fawlty Towers sketch. When things drag on TOO long, it can lose the moment, which can result in people losing interest. I felt even when things were getting put back 6 months and a year that it lost the moment, that initial excitement.

Ditto that Imani.

And lets not forget the bullshit given about the delays, blaming Ranking Rogers album at one point, constant touring when sitting on pledgers money that had paid for him to be in the studio. A complete lack of honesty and humility.
From asking people to support him upfront for a project, he turned on those who questioned the delays after doing just that.
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:54 pm
Imani
Too Hot

kennybacon wrote:
Imani wrote:
sweetdudejim wrote:

Ditto that Imani.

And lets not forget the bullshit given about the delays, blaming Ranking Rogers album at one point, constant touring when sitting on pledgers money that had paid for him to be in the studio. A complete lack of honesty and humility.
From asking people to support him upfront for a project, he turned on those who questioned the delays after doing just that.

All of which has ended up with Dave losing the support of a lot of people who've followed his work for a long time. Confused
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:01 pm
kennybacon
Special

Has everyone received their goods? I am still waiting on the signed album artwork
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:27 pm