Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information The English Beat Starring Dave Wakeling / New Album

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
kennybacon
Special

Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed that 1254 people have pledged their cash to help make this album, there's a fair chance that one or two of them will of died in the last two years Sad
Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:07 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Sugarman
Too Hot

Thanks for the Update Kenny - February 2017 Shocked

I have just started reading some of the comments about the new release date here Shocked

http://www.pledgemusic.com/artists/theenglishbeat/discussion?project_id=8306
Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:42 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

Good Question Smile

Question:

Another artist I pledged with sent the download out a couple of months before the physical cd. It would be good if you could do that Dave,as I'm busting to hear these songs!

Answer:

Sounds like a great idea, lets see if we can do that. especially as vinyl is taking 4 months to deliver, yikes x
Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:48 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

I feel sorry for Ranking Roger who is being blamed for the album being delayed and for the bashing he is getting Rolling Eyes

I hope The Beat Goes Bang! haven't got a new album ready for February 2017 Laughing

The Definitive Ranking Roger Interview Smile

12/04/2016

Ranking Roger is a music and style icon that needs no introduction. He was a founding member of one of the most important and beloved alternative/ska bands of all-time with the English Beat. Then, he and fellow front man Dave Wakeling broke off and formed General Public to even greater chart success ("Tenderness" #27 in 1984)

Today the former partners function as two separate groups - Dave carries on as The English Beat in the states while Roger is The Beat throughout the rest of the world.

April 12, 2016We discuss the dynamic between the two, the state of potential reunions, Roger's excellent solo work, and his views on marijuana. And, he announces new Beat music coming in 2016!

http://thehustle.podbean.com/e/episode-49-ranking-roger-of-the-english-beatgeneral-publicsolo/
Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:34 am
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

To use Roger's release as the reason for yet a further delay seems a bit unfair. I can understand not wanting to release it on the same day / week but a further 6 months?

At least from the comments section on the pledge site it would appear that Dave is now writing the lyrics out - the suggestion that he would get someone else to do it has had me quietly seething.
PostPosted:
Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:31 pm
kennybacon
Special

using Rogers album as the latest excuse is so lame, fair play to Roger if he has hijacked the release date and getting his own album out first - did Dave not fancy the competition? Then he should of made sure his own album was out on time to avoid this opportunity being available to Roger.

It will be 32 months from the start of the pledge campaign until release date (assuming it is released in February) and that is unacceptable.

It crossed my mind that this delay could have something to do with the falling £ v $?
As payment was in $, $29 in my case, which was £17.56 at the time, and £17.56 is now only worth around $23.50, is the release delayed because it may effect his income from the pledges - as most of the pledged money is held until release?

The change in the value of £ v $ may have no bearing on what he receives - he may be better off because of it - depending on how it is paid to him. Its only a personal conspiracy theory and probably way off the mark, but maybe a more plausible excuse than Ranking Rogers brought an album out.
Maybe Dave could use this when the album fails to be released in February Twisted Evil
Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:03 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

01 July, 2016

Talking to label about ways to get pledgers music earlier. may be able to do streaming before download is available. we will also send pledgers all the various dance mixes done prior to album release. will post some new tracks over weekend, and i think you will be pleased and impressed! dave x
Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:18 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

Dave, while I am just as bummed as many others that the album is taking a lot of time to be released, I'd much rather wait and have something really well done than have something rushed Laughing

However, I do really think it's pretty uncool what Roger has done. I know he has the rights to the name "The Beat" and whatever but it sure does seem like he stepped on your toes here. And how he's marketing his album as the "fourth Beat album" or whatever. Did he even write a song on any of the three Beat albums. And for him to be releasing it in American under the name "The New English Beat Feat. Ranking Roger" also just doesn't smell right to me Rolling Eyes

it is cheesy, yes, and behind it all, kind of desperate and sad. i sent him tracks and invited him to sing on our album, which he declined. Walking on the wrong side indeed, which sounds like keep on rocking in the free world, with verses from doo doo doo, da da da...?! bless x Rolling Eyes
Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:14 pm
Fester
Too Hot

That podcast interview with Roger is very interesting. Sometimes people speak more frankly when they don't think there is a huge audience listening.

I thought that the recent pics of Dave & Roger catching up with each other when Dave was back in the UK boded well for a reunion of sorts someday.

But a short few months later that is about as likely as Nev and Roddy re-joining the Specials ...
PostPosted:
Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:58 pm
kennybacon
Special

someone recently put a post on the discussion board having a go at the people criticising the delay in the release of Dave's album, and very much defending Dave (she finished her post off with a request for a freebie off Dave).

I responded to this post pointing out that everyone had a right to be disgruntled after handing over their cash and having to wait so long with so many delays and re scheduled release dates.
I got support for my post from the next post on the board, but a couple of days later both mine and the supporting post had been deleted, and the original suck up post remained.

Bit disappointed that someone who has their name in the writing credits for Stand Down Margaret resorts to this when a bit of peaceful protest comes his way.
Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:37 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

14 hours till release?
Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:46 am
kennybacon
Special

Sugarman wrote:
14 hours till release?

Nah, read the updates page, I don't think this will be released for a few more months yet. Over two and a half years since I paid for it now
Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:54 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

kennybacon wrote:
Sugarman wrote:
14 hours till release?

Nah, read the updates page, I don't think this will be released for a few more months yet. Over two and a half years since I paid for it now

Thanks

I checked the updates and still no sign of a release date on the horizon.

I will never Pre order again from pledge Music, I will wait until the album is released and then buy a copy Smile
Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:11 pm
kennybacon
Special

Sugarman wrote:
kennybacon wrote:
Sugarman wrote:
14 hours till release?

Thanks

I checked the updates and still no sign of a release date on the horizon.

I will never Pre order again from pledge Music, I will wait until the album is released and then buy a copy Smile

To be fair to Pledge music, I have pledged for 5 albums now, no real problems with the other 4 regarding releases. Its down to the artist to deliver at the end of the day, and Dave Wakeling has massively took the piss with this, excuse after excuse.

What I can't be doing with is all the (usually American) fans defending him, and the relentless touring he has done.
He chose to do all the touring to line his pockets further and as a result has not spent the necessary time in the studio to deliver what was promised, when it was promised to those that paid for it a long time ago

I will continue to support artists I like when it comes to pledging, but Dave Wakeling would be wasting his time if he ever has the cheek to try it again.

I put a post on the updates stating all the above, and got support from a few others - but my post and the supporting posts were removed after a few days. Freedom of speech Dave?
Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:44 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Has anyone contacted PledgeMusic about a refund? I think after two and half years it's safe to say the pledge has not been fulfilled.

https://help.pledgemusic.com/hc/en-us/articles/204868377-My-car-imploded-my-rent-s-due-and-I-ve-just-lost-my-health-insurance-How-can-I-cancel-my-pledge-

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:55 pm
kennybacon
Special

Trojan wrote:
Has anyone contacted PledgeMusic about a refund? I think after two and half years it's safe to say the pledge has not been fulfilled.

https://help.pledgemusic.com/hc/en-us/articles/204868377-My-car-imploded-my-rent-s-due-and-I-ve-just-lost-my-health-insurance-How-can-I-cancel-my-pledge-

A few people have requested refunds on the discussion board, and these appear to have been honoured after a delay.
I did consider it last year, but I would end buying the album anyway, so decided to wait for the paid for signed copy.
Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:48 pm
Imani
Too Hot

I can sympathise with the fans who feel a little 'Cheated'. (Little pun on a Beat song there; I might just continue to slip them in throughout this post).

The fact that they've pledged money in the first place shows they're very loyal, especially in this era where so much new music is downloaded free or streamed on Youtube.

I've never pledged so I'm not sure what checks and balances there are for both the artist and the fans 'in the event of a delay'. Delays do happen for various reasons but I think this is one of the issues that ought to be addressed at the beginning with something like Pledge, as they're working to such deadlines.

Capturing the moment is important. When the Pledge campaign was announced, it created a wave of excitement and expectation among the fans. As the release date has gone back further, that initial momentum can die away.

I'm not knocking Dave and the band at all, but I suppose I'm also putting myself in their position. I would completely understand fans being disgruntled. And to be fair, I read in the comments that they are offering refunds to those who wish to pull out, so it has been taken on board.

For now, I'll just walk away. I could say more but I'll save it for later.
Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:05 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

Imani wrote:

For now, I'll just walk away. I could say more but I'll save it for later.

You just can't stop it.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:13 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

I Confess that I have bought a few items from Pledge and they have all arrived on time, I am now awaiting the new Rhoda Dakar CD & 7" Single.

I know I could be waiting for the 7" but hopefully the CD will arrive soon as it has been released as far as I know?

As for The Beat album I can't see the point in asking for a refund because I will only end up buying it when it is eventually released which should be sometime this year I hope? Smile

As for any future Pledge releases I will wait until a week before the release date before I buy Smile

I paid for the Madness Deluxe Edition Box set one week before release and I got a copy and it was deleted while I was waiting for my copy to arrive Smile
Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:35 am
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

A bit more information would be nice. I was checking back on when I ordered (June 2014) and noted that the fulfilment date was revised to May 2016 - but this has never been updated since.

The last update was 16 October - some three months ago.

The discussion thread has more recent news although, as Kenny says, some of those posts disappear. The discussions have contained a number of promises such as streaming, downloads, remixes, the other items (T-shirts, lyrics etc) allegedly being sent out at Christmas, though none of these appear to have happened.

Looking at the English Beat website, they are still touring in February and March which does not bode well for an actual release any time soon.
PostPosted:
Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:08 pm