Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information The English Beat Starring Dave Wakeling / New Album

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
kennybacon
Special

Post subject: Reply with quote

HarryJ185 wrote:
Looking at the English Beat website, they are still touring in February and March which does not bode well for an actual release any time soon.

Maybe it would be easier to release it as a live album now

I too read the promises of downloads and things to keep the pledgers sweet, but now I take anything Dave posts with a pinch of salt.
Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:48 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Imani
Too Hot

Earlier I mentioned 'capturing the moment'. It's a bit like if you're at a gig, and the artist will do a song that really gets the crowd going, but if there's too much patter in between numbers, the audience gets a bit restless! They're expecting to hear music, and the band isn't meeting the expectation.

OR: You might recall when the original Specials split; there was always talk of a third Specials album (by the Special AKA). That went on for a couple of years. When the album did eventually get released, although there were some good songs on there, there wasn't a buzz about its release from the fan's point of view, due to the delays.
Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:39 am
kennybacon
Special

Someone put a post on earlier today questioning if the album will be released before the third anniversary of the pledge campaign starting, so I added the following post:

lets face it, its been excuse after excuse.
after all the delays, the August release was postponed because of Roger bringing his album out at the same time, I think we can see that was just used as an excuse now.
Its been a piss take of the pledgers from the start.
I hope people get to see this before Dave deletes it, as he has done with my previous critical post.
The truth hurts.

Dave Wakeling responded:
meeting with record label on sunday to schedule release. recording is finished, mixing will go on while i am on tour. you have been offered a refund before, offer still stands, but you just prefer to moan. 2/3rds of the money you pledged is still at Pledge, we have had to fund the recording ourselves mainly, and will receive the rest at delivery. songs sound great, and well worth all the hard work and effort, that's the truth, not painful at all. x

To which I have replied:
I don't prefer to moan Dave, and I have never requested a refund. I think have the right to point out that there has been so many excuses made for the delay in release, knocking on towards three years is well excessive.
You have stated previously that extensive touring has been one of the reasons for the delay, but you chose to do that and therefore lining your pockets while the people have paid their money for an album have to wait because of that.
So don't patronise me, you should of kept to what was offered when people pledged their cash and the album should of been out about two years ago.
Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:24 pm
kennybacon
Special

Following from the above, Dave responded with:
there has been on offer of a refund made many times on this page, but you prefer to moan. We went on tour more to fund the album, not line our pockets, as we found that only a 1/3 of the money raised from Pledges was accessible until delivery of the album. It has been quite tough, with barely a day off, but we are very proud of the results, and those around us think we have done a great job. I don't mean to patronize, i just wish you would take a refund, because although most Pledgers have been wonderful, you have seemed to have enjoyed carping overmuch, and i don't really want your money.

I responded:
Like I said Dave, I don't want a refund, just want what I paid for and would of appreciated if that was when it was originally promised. I really appreciate you touring relentlessly in order to produce this album, but maybe that was what the third of the pledge money was intended for?
I find it ironic that someone who has writing credit for the great protest song 'Stand Down Margaret' now has such a problem with someone protesting about such delays and excuses for the delivery of something they paid for such a long time ago?
Why is that Dave, when you sang Stand Down Margaret back in the day, did you think you were 'moaning' and 'carping'? Or did you think you were making a valid point about something?
I certainly felt the song made a valid point, and as a teenager it was songs like that, along with others from that great era of Ska/ Two Tone that helped form me into someone who is not afraid of speaking out when I feel something is wrong. Its such a shame, you don't feel that way anymore, maybe we should all just be quite and say nothing? How would that work with songwriting/performing? Maybe have to strip a few songs from your set to be on the safe side with that one.
I am glad you are engaging in this post though, as it gives you chance to put things straight.
So when you cited Rogers album as being the reason for the album not being released last August, that would give the impression that the album was ready to be released until Roger hijacked it? if that was the true case, then the album would of been ready to be released now and it isn't, so that makes what you said about Rogers release being a lame excuse, maybe even a little fib, would you not agree?
Looking forward to the album, maybe you could put a personal message on my CD? Feel free to write what you like.
All the best Smile
Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:39 pm
kennybacon
Special

I have just added:
I notice the total pledge reached 170% so if you received 1/3 of that upfront, you would actually of got 56.66 of the total needed to fulfil the pledge (170 /3 = 56.66) originally, so in effect you received over half of what you originally were looking for? Surely that would of covered the production costs, I am not in the music industry but I am hazarding a guess that if you only achieved 100% of the requested pledge amount, it wouldn't all be needed for the production, it would include a little profit for the band, that only makes sense, no one expects an artist to produce an album and not make money out of it.
Which again questions whether the relentless touring was entirely necessary to cover production costs?
Also you must of known how much of the pledge you would get upfront, before venturing into this - it surely can't of been hidden so deep in the small print you couldn't of known that before offering an album with a release date? That would be shocking.
Sorry for moaning and carping again,
Best Wishes
Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:09 pm
kennybacon
Special

Two posts from Dave:
we could have finished record off cheap at home, or do more gigs and finish it in style. rogers album coming out gave us chance for second and better option. you make way too may presumptions, and there is nothing i can say to please you, so i will arrange for a refund for you, so we can stop these spitefully circular conversations. you are in a distinct minority here, most Pledgers have been wonderful, have met many at gigs, you in comparison have been a superior pain, so doesn't really matter if you write again, refund will be on its way to you. all the best to you too Wink

i have contacted Mike Blatt at Pledge to arrange your refund Kevin. Thanks x

Response to above:
Poor poor show Dave, tactics of a man who has lost the argument, unable to defend your own lies.
I might be a minority, but I am not afraid to speak the truth.
I have not requested a refund, and therefore you are in breach of a contract (although you probably were anyway due to the delay), and I will be pointing this out to pledge.
Such a shame you couldn't just put your hands up and say you have misled the pledgers and are sorry for what you have done.
Shame on you
Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:23 pm
kennybacon
Special

And finally (for now)

My message sent to pledge:

Dave Wakeling has posted that he has requested a refund for me, I do not wish for a refund and have stated this in the discussion board with Dave.
I have raised questions over the delay in the release of the album, which Dave has answered but not convincingly. See discussion board for this.
I pledged for this over 2 years and eight months ago, and will wait for the album. Just hope there are no further delays caused by world tours and Ranking Roger releasing new albums

And latest post from Dave

no, you are correct, you are not in the music industry, so naturally don't understand production costs. i estimated $60k for album, we got $30k of it, and have spent way more since. i didn't even see it in small print, so was surprised when i called them up for more, for as you note there is still plenty there. but 50% of your original target is all that is allowed until delivery, so there is enough remaining to fulfill the Pledges and postage etc. Although i'm sure some of it is banter, its a shame that you presume the worst at every turn, the truth is easier to understand...most of the money is still at Pledge, the album sounds great, and we shall enjoy ourselves immensely with it this year. x

Suppose if I do get a refund, since I had to pay in $ and the pound has fallen so much, if I get refunded in $ the $29 that I paid back in the day - £17.64 is now worth £23.28 whoop whoop
Think I would be more interested in getting the signed CD though, would like to own the worst ever autograph Dave has ever done
Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:51 pm
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Kenny

I applaud your efforts - pity the responses have been so underwhelming and defensive. I cannot understand why Dave cannot admit how disappointing it must be for people to have pledged money and seen nothing for so long with no hint of a release date. Never mind the sorry excuses about Roger releasing Bounce. Still I am sure it will all be worth it in the end when we get exclusive early access to single releases, remixes etc. And hopefully we will be able to look back and laugh about it in time to come - when enough years have passed to take the bad taste off this whole sorry episode. And no, this does not translate as a request for a refund either!
PostPosted:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:58 am
kennybacon
Special

HarryJ185 wrote:
Kenny

I applaud your efforts - pity the responses have been so underwhelming and defensive. I cannot understand why Dave cannot admit how disappointing it must be for people to have pledged money and seen nothing for so long with no hint of a release date. Never mind the sorry excuses about Roger releasing Bounce. Still I am sure it will all be worth it in the end when we get exclusive early access to single releases, remixes etc. And hopefully we will be able to look back and laugh about it in time to come - when enough years have passed to take the bad taste off this whole sorry episode. And no, this does not translate as a request for a refund either!

Thanks Harry, I was pleased that Dave actually engaged, but it was very defensive.
To be fair, if he had come clean in the early days of the pledge and said he didn't realise he would'nt get all the pledge money up front for production, and would need to tour to raise it, then I certainly would of cut him a bit of slack on that, but not to the time extent it has gone to now, and it would of saved him making the now obvious lie about Rogers album.

He has put another post on stating as below:
Kevin, in addition to your refund, i will also send you whatever you pledged for, in appreciation of the time and effort you have put in, and thanks for keeping me on my toes during the creative process, lol dave x

I wasn't sure about this, and whether to accept or decline and insisting that I pay for what I have pledged for, but having slept on it, have decided that to look a gift horse in the mouth would be foolish, and see the free signed CD as a reward for being the seeker of truth and justice!
So have thanked him for that gesture and accepted.
Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:49 am
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

Well done Kenny for keeping Dave on his toes. I too pledged nearly 3 years ago, and was really keen at the time. Ive pledged in the past for Rhoda Dakars cds and The Rifles last cd. However this has left a sour taste in the mouth. As all release seem to get a major release at a later date, l shall now wait until this happens in future l think.
Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:41 am
Sugarman
Too Hot

21/02/2017

Question: Is the long promised new English Beat album about to be released?

A: Itís called ďHere We Go Love.Ē And itís going to be finished in February, and then will be out as soon as the record company can get it out. They want to bring out the CD and the vinyl and the download all at the same time to maximize its effect.

I could care less how they do it. They could bring the download, then bring the CD out two months later and then bring the vinyl when itís ready. I havenít quite convinced them of that yet. We might have to wait until the vinyl is ready and release a series of singles.

Iím hoping it will all be ready in April or May. Iím fearing it will be May or June.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/feb/21/english-beat-singer-dave-wakeling-discusses-new-al/
Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:17 pm
kennybacon
Special

bluearmy78 wrote:
Well done Kenny for keeping Dave on his toes. I too pledged nearly 3 years ago, and was really keen at the time. Ive pledged in the past for Rhoda Dakars cds and The Rifles last cd. However this has left a sour taste in the mouth. As all release seem to get a major release at a later date, l shall now wait until this happens in future l think.

Thanks bluearmy - Along with you I pledged for Rhoda, The Rifles as well as The Chords and Bruce Foxtons last album, all of them were done and dusted, items received pretty much in the original time frame and non went anywhere remotely near this ridiculous nearly 3 years territory.
Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:08 pm
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

May or June now ! Blimey, its become a real joke. Im not sure lm even interested in the album now. Its been so long the enthusiasm has gone to be honest. I will give it a listen, but its going to have to be special to capture me after all this messing about. Incidentally isnt Ranking Rogers album really quite good ? After a few listens it grows on you.
Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:22 am
pvrakking
Stereotype

Well, indeed it takes a long time to deliver the album, but I will wait.
Looking at the differences between Ranking Roger and Dave, Rogers album is a very good one, love to spin it. His version of the Beat is following very much the ska/reggae path, I would label it sort of natural evolution after I just can't stop it from a musical direction perspective.
When I listen to the hook lines of Dave's version, to me this is more a follow up after Special Beat Service.
PostPosted:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:40 am
Imani
Too Hot

I hope it's OK to post this thread's equivalent of a 'commercial break'. So, go and make yourselves a cuppa, and have a read of this blog I did back in Feb on Mirror In The Bathroom.

https://imaniword.wordpress.com/2017/02/14/reflections-on-mirror-in-the-bathroom/
Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:58 pm
kennybacon
Special

I got my refund off pledge today and due to the falling pound against dollar, I ended up £5.54 up on the deal, assuming that Dave honours his word and I still receive my signed CD, not only will it be the longest I have ever had to wait for an album (or probably anything I have ever purchased at all) but it will also now be the cheapest record I have ever bought Very Happy

Possibly my first positive post on this subject
Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:07 pm
ddub
Ska Face
Ska Face

kennybacon wrote:
I got my refund off pledge today and due to the falling pound against dollar, I ended up £5.54 up on the deal, assuming that Dave honours his word and I still receive my signed CD, not only will it be the longest I have ever had to wait for an album (or probably anything I have ever purchased at all) but it will also now be the cheapest record I have ever bought Very Happy

Fair play to you!from what i can gather someone was getting the hump because you asked a few question,you were correct to pursue this.
Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:22 pm
kennybacon
Special

ddub wrote:
kennybacon wrote:

Fair play to you!from what i can gather someone was getting the hump because you asked a few question,you were correct to pursue this.

Thanks ddub
Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:59 pm
npr1uk
Rudie
Rudie

Release date is now August. I've also asked for a refund and Dave gave a sarky reply that he would send me a download so I could spend my money on something else. I told him that I'd probably buy it when it actually comes out as I have everything else he's done but just fed up with the delays and different excuses for delays.
PostPosted:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:13 pm
kennybacon
Special

npr1uk wrote:
Release date is now August. I've also asked for a refund and Dave gave a sarky reply that he would send me a download so I could spend my money on something else. I told him that I'd probably buy it when it actually comes out as I have everything else he's done but just fed up with the delays and different excuses for delays.

Fair play to you, but I would just take the refund and free download, and not buy the album on release - if everybody did that he might learn to not take his fans for granted.

He hasn't updated the pledge release date yet, its still showing as May 2016.
I don't really have any entitlement to criticise this latest delay on the discussion board after accepting my refund, which is a bit of a shame.

He had promised an update on the release date for 20.03.17, but there appears to be a delay with this too. Hopefully when he does put it up he will receive a few tasty replies, which no doubt he will treat with arrogance.
Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:22 pm