Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information The English Beat Starring Dave Wakeling / New Album

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the CD may be the only thing that has surfaced. I am still waiting for the vinyl which is "a few weeks away", but also a T-shirt and signed lyrics.
PostPosted:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:13 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

Nothing else is ready as far as lm aware. I can understand people getting narked over this now, its been forever, and Dave has been as unhelpful as he possibly can lf people have dared moan. For which they have every right. I cant see him doing another pledge, as no way would l or many other support it again.
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:40 am
bombscare79
Special

HarryJ185 wrote:
I think the CD may be the only thing that has surfaced. I am still waiting for the vinyl which is "a few weeks away", but also a T-shirt and signed lyrics.

Signed stuff ? ......................Whilst i dont understand why anyone would want another persons signature unless maybe on a cheque or something................. Why would you want this fuckers signature ?
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:46 am
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Bombscare - I think signed lyrics are a nice piece of memorabilia to own - would have loved a copy of Lee Thompson's lyrics for Embarrassment from his pledge campaign but they had all gone (and were out of my price range at the time anyway), by the time I found out about them.

Though I am at a loss as to why the Beat lyrics have yet to see the light of day at this stage.
PostPosted:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:26 pm
kennybacon
Special

Bad News Harry, if you did not know already - he's now refunding everyone for signed lyrics as he does not think his handwriting is good enough, I kid you not - see the latest update on the pledge site.

He is also refunding anyone who pledged for an album credit as there is not enough room on the album for these - surely part of the design of the album sleeve should of included space for this?

Apparently everyone should receive everything else in the next couple of weeks, we shall see... 4 years, one month and still counting.

Last edited by kennybacon on Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:36 pm
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Thanks, Kenny. Just the latest let down. I had really been looming forward to them. And having pledged on 17 June 2014 - and given there was only a small number available - I really fail to understand how this could not have been fulfilled.
PostPosted:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:08 pm
kennybacon
Special

How much were they Harry?

He says in one response that he did a few and they looked rubbish and his hand hurt so he decided he couldn't do 100s of them.

Now I know my hand hurts from writing after a relatively short period of time, but if I was getting a decent wedge for each page I wrote and had 4 years to do a couple of hundred pages, believe me - I would get them done
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:45 pm
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Kenny - it was a bundle of 3 things: a signed CD, a T-shirt, and the handwritten lyrics for 121 dollars. I was annoyed early on when he stated in an interview that he only ever said they would be handwritten but never specified he would be the one doing it! He also complained about the length of the lyrics to I Confess that a lot of people asked for. Lee Thompson managed to write Baggy Trousers and Embarrassment out 5 times each. And Rhoda Dakar sells handwriiten lyrics for 20 quid. This is not rocket science. Either pick a small number you are happy with or pick specific songs you are willing to write out. But if you have 4 years (1460 days), then 50 sets of lyrics is about 1 a month.
PostPosted:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:21 pm
kennybacon
Special

On the plus side Harry, because the £ has fallen a fair bit against the $ since 2014, when you receive your refund (however much that is depending on what the lyrics element is valued at in your bundle) when this is converted back to £ you should be in profit. This happened to me when he forced me take a refund on my signed CD, I paid about £17.50 and got back about £23.50 when refunded.

I know that you will still be disappointed at not getting your lyrics, but take whatever little victory you can from this saga.
I also see from the comments that Pledge are not actively refunding people for the lyrics, so you may need to chase this.
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:28 am
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

The nightmare continues. The bundle was $121 - but apparently the lyrics only accounted for $45. So the CD and T shirt together cost $76 allegedly. Therefore the bundle was a much more expensive option than buying the items separately.

Never again.
PostPosted:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:47 pm
kennybacon
Special

HarryJ185 wrote:
The nightmare continues. The bundle was $121 - but apparently the lyrics only accounted for $45. So the CD and T shirt together cost $76 allegedly. Therefore the bundle was a much more expensive option than buying the items separately.

Never again.

I have seen that someone has posted on the pledge site about this, they said they had ended up being charged $55 for an CD and T-shirt when both items were available individually at $20 each.
Can't believe that someone responded to this and told them to stop moaning and it wasn't Dave's fault.
Also have seen people complaining that the vinyl is now available in shops while they are still waiting for theirs, four years after paying for it.

I am still waiting for my album art too.

Don't accept it Harry, get on the case with pledge.
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:04 am
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

I have tried, Kenny. But they have worn me down. I asked for a breakdown and pointed out I was being charged extra. The response was to (a) simply repeat themselves (b) say they had spoken to the campaign manager and there was no change (c) suggested if i was still unhappy to get a full refund by returning the CD and paying the postage and packing myself. So I have cancelled the T shirt - they still have no ETA for its dispatch - although I have seen people on Twitter and Facebook posting pictures of their T shirts...

After I saw one of your last posts, I got in touch for the lyrics refund but it takes them 30 days to process - so still not see that yet...
PostPosted:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:02 am
Trojan
Too Hot

I am having difficulty grasping that fact that people were willing to fork out these sums of money in the first place. What on earth made you do so, especially since nothing at that stage was actually available?

Let’s face it has anything been released by ex 2Toners which has been worth getting excited about, never mind pre-ordering? The answer is NO. I have listened to this album on Spotify and it is better than I thought it would be. Would part with money for it? No.

People were offered refunds and should have taken them. I can't understand why anyone would wait such a length of time without demanding their money back in the first place.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:28 pm
kennybacon
Special

Trojan wrote:
I am having difficulty grasping that fact that people were willing to fork out these sums of money in the first place. What on earth made you do so, especially since nothing at that stage was actually available?

Let’s face it has anything been released by ex 2Toners which has been worth getting excited about, never mind pre-ordering? The answer is NO. I have listened to this album on Spotify and it is better than I thought it would be. Would part with money for it? No.

People were offered refunds and should have taken them. I can't understand why anyone would wait such a length of time without demanding their money back in the first place.

I have no problem pledging or pre ordering albums from artists I follow, obviously no one who pre ordered Dave Wakelings album 4 years ago (like me) could of seen a 4 year wait and a lot of frustration ahead, or otherwise would of left it well alone.
I think in my case it is some sort of misguided sense of loyalty to support some artists, and also being a bit of a completist - I like to own everything released by some bands/ artists, especially from the two tone era.
Part of the attraction of pre ordering/ pledging is the opportunity to get something unique or signed by the artist/ band - and I am a sucker for memorabilia too.
So unfortunately I am the exact type of person these campaigns are targeting - the ones who just can't say no.

If this album was released by an unknown artist and I heard it and was offered it - would I buy it - no. Sad but true.

Be happy Trojan that you have the ability to spot a turd for what it is and feel no obligation to buy it, unfortunately there are many of us on this forum that aren't.
My Name is Kennybacon and I am an addict.
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:50 pm
kennybacon
Special

HarryJ185 wrote:
I have tried, Kenny. But they have worn me down. I asked for a breakdown and pointed out I was being charged extra. The response was to (a) simply repeat themselves (b) say they had spoken to the campaign manager and there was no change (c) suggested if i was still unhappy to get a full refund by returning the CD and paying the postage and packing myself. So I have cancelled the T shirt - they still have no ETA for its dispatch - although I have seen people on Twitter and Facebook posting pictures of their T shirts...

After I saw one of your last posts, I got in touch for the lyrics refund but it takes them 30 days to process - so still not see that yet...

Jeez, this is worse than I thought it was, a four year saga ends up being a con as a punchline.
A refund could be done instantly - surely, unless there is an issue in them getting the cash back off Wakeling to do this.
You and many others have clearly been ripped off - sorry about that Harry.
I will have to see if I receive my artwork in the next few weeks, or whether this is another scam, and I get short changed if I go for a refund.
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:02 pm
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Kenny - it will take 30 working days - the excuse is that they cannot do it automatically when the pledge is more than a year old and the delay is as a result of having to process it manually.

Trojan - I would echo what Kenny has said. I am a completist, I like to get memorabilia, and I never envisaged this sorry saga dragging on so long. Sadly, it is difficult to think of many worthy post Two Tone releases. Although partly, I think that is due to age. I have not liked many films in recent years either. But Horace springs to mind. I love Old Man Skank, Goa Blues and the Uptown Ska Collective release.
PostPosted:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:52 pm
seanjamdown
Too Hot

On the subject of worthy releases post 2 Tone...

I loved both Fine Young Cannibals boths albums.

Neol Davies - Dolla Fe Dolla was also really good. Shame his Selecter Instrumental project never recorded.

And thought Rogers Beat - Side By Side track was good.

Would love to hear recorded music from Jerry's Spatial Orchestra.

Rico had alot of master tapes of unreleased material. Would be great for that to see the light of day.
PostPosted:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:51 am
Imani
Too Hot

seanjamdown wrote:
On the subject of worthy releases post 2 Tone...

I loved both Fine Young Cannibals boths albums.

Neol Davies - Dolla Fe Dolla was also really good. Shame his Selecter Instrumental project never recorded.

And thought Rogers Beat - Side By Side track was good.

Would love to hear recorded music from Jerry's Spatial Orchestra.

Rico had alot of master tapes of unreleased material. Would be great for that to see the light of day.

Perhaps with next year being the 2 Tone 40th anniversary, we'll see a deluge of new releases. Possibly even the Spatials.
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:53 pm