Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Rhoda Dakar – The Bodysnatchers album & Halloween show

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » Upcoming Events  Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
twotonetess
Gangster
Gangster

Post subject: Rhoda Dakar – The Bodysnatchers album & Halloween show Reply with quote

Celebrating the 35th anniversary of The Bodysnatchers, 2 Tone Records all-girl group, lead singer and songwriter Rhoda Dakar will be recording, though not re-forming, a Bodysnatchers album for the very first time.

Formed in 1979 after Shane McGowan introduced Rhoda to bassist Nicky Summers, the band signed to legendary UK record label 2 Tone after only their second show. Nationwide gigs alongside Madness, The Selecter, The Specials, The Go-Gos and Toots & The Maytals followed, as did two UK chart hits; Let’s Do Rocksteady b/w Ruder Than You in March 1980 and Easy Life b/w Too Experienced (produced by label boss/The Specials founder Jerry Dammers) in July of the same year. These now much sort-after singles and their appearance on 2 Tone’s Dance Craze movie were to be The Bodysnatchers only commercial releases.

To celebrate the band’s 35th Anniversary, Rhoda is recording a very special Bodysnatchers album, which will feature previously unrecorded and unheard (outside of a few bootleg live cassettes) Bodysnatchers songs. The album will be part of a Pledgemusic campaign to be launched at the beginning of September and released in November 2014, with an exclusive/one-off Invasion of The Bodysnatchers show at Camden Town’s legendary Jazz Cafe on Halloween (Friday 31st October).
Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:51 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
twotonetess
Gangster
Gangster

Post subject: Reply with quote

http://mamacolive.com/thejazzcafe/listings/upcoming-events/11149/rhoda-dakar-the-bodysnatchers-album-exclusive-halloween-show/
Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:54 pm
twotonetess
Gangster
Gangster

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:06 pm
twotonetess
Gangster
Gangster

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:12 pm
twotonetess
Gangster
Gangster

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:14 pm
done donald
Ska Face
Ska Face

Thanks for that, that will be something to look forward to.

Do you know if it will be recorded with a full band as opposed to an acoustic type effort? Here's hoping...

Jim
Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:16 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

I don't know what to make of this. Half the charm of The Bodysnatchers was that, musically, they were a bit rough around the edges. I'm not sure that will be recaptured in any updated recordings. I'd rather hear an albums worth material that was recorded back in the day (Peel Sesssions, demos, live) than modern takes on them.

I always thought that Easy Life was the 2 Tone single which can feel the hardest done by. Its a fantastic single, both A and B side, and should have placed much highe in the charts than it did.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:00 pm
man at c&a
Gangster
Gangster

A very interesting development indeed.

Pity SJ cant make it Laughing
Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:54 pm
man at c&a
Gangster
Gangster

Trojan wrote:

I always thought that Easy Life was the 2 Tone single which can feel the hardest done by. Its a fantastic single, both A and B side, and should have placed much highe in the charts than it did.

Agree totally Trojan.
Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:55 pm
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

I had not heard about this - thanks for posting. I don't mean to be rude - I do really like this idea and will be buying the record - but if they are not reforming should it really be released under the Bodysnatchers name?

I agree with Trojan - I have been constantly playing the Peel Sessions in the car since Sugarman posted them. It is great to hear these and would love them to have got a proper release or if there were demos that were of good quality.

I still cannot believe the bootleggers never released a Bodysnatchers LP (but maybe that is not such a bad thing given the low quality and high price of such releases).

With it being a pledge release, there will hopefully be some nice bundles to choose from...
PostPosted:
Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:25 pm
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

There is not a lot of time between launch and release (unlike The Beat). I hope there is enough interest for it to hit the necessary target.
PostPosted:
Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:28 pm
kennybacon
Special

Trojan wrote:
I don't know what to make of this. Half the charm of The Bodysnatchers was that, musically, they were a bit rough around the edges. I'm not sure that will be recaptured in any updated recordings. I'd rather hear an albums worth material that was recorded back in the day (Peel Sesssions, demos, live) than modern takes on them.

I think I agree with Trojans views on this, this sounds like Rhoda Dakar sings songs from The Bodysnatchers, so more of a solo project, but no doubt I will make a pledge when it is live.
Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:24 am
kennybacon
Special

HarryJ185 wrote:
There is not a lot of time between launch and release (unlike The Beat). I hope there is enough interest for it to hit the necessary target.

I think Dave Wakelings pledge project ran for 60 days, and (rather suspiciously) got the necessary pledges in time - but we have to wait another 6 months after the pledge period finished for the album to be released. This ones pledge period may be of a similar length to The Beat's, and hopefully, if successful - the album is released quicker.

with The Beats campaign, I assumed that pretty much all the tracks were laid down on demo, so the once the campaign had hit it's target they could pay to go straight to the studio and get the album produced, 6 months after does seem quite long for this, but hopefully the album will be worth the wait.
Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:29 am
done donald
Ska Face
Ska Face

I always thought that Easy Life was the 2 Tone single which can feel the hardest done by. Its a fantastic single, both A and B side, and should have placed much highe in the charts than it did.[/quote]

I agree. Always one of my favourite singles, A and B. A shame it didn't fare better.

Jim
Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:40 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Nice to see so many people agreeing about Easy Life. Lyrically its also one of the most socially aware singles released on the label, but the lyrics are often lost in what is an absolute stormer of a tune, as the above live version from Dance Craze proves.

For anyone who doesn't already know the lyrics, they were included in this edition of Smash Hits (those were the days Crying or Very sad )

https://sites.google.com/site/smashhitsmagazineremembered24/24th-july---6th-august-1980

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:53 pm
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

kennybacon wrote:
HarryJ185 wrote:

I think Dave Wakelings pledge project ran for 60 days, and (rather suspiciously) got the necessary pledges in time - but we have to wait another 6 months after the pledge period finished for the album to be released. This ones pledge period may be of a similar length to The Beat's, and hopefully, if successful - the album is released quicker.

with The Beats campaign, I assumed that pretty much all the tracks were laid down on demo, so the once the campaign had hit it's target they could pay to go straight to the studio and get the album produced, 6 months after does seem quite long for this, but hopefully the album will be worth the wait.

Kenny - I too hope it is worth the wait. I have been enjoying the demos. Dave has a great voice and it is a long time since he has released anything. With the album out in 2015, that will be 20 years since Rub It Better. I think the only thing between these releases will have been the songs for Scooby Doo!

I do like the approach of the Pledge campaigns and the anticipation building up through the updates. Listening to the demos and reading the lyrics allows you to concentrate on the meaning of the songs before the final product gets released.
PostPosted:
Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:32 pm
marigold
Too Hot

Great post/videos! oh! to be there - : )

More pics...
http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?EventId=90721782
Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:49 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
seanjamdown
Too Hot

done donald wrote:
Thanks for that, that will be something to look forward to.

Do you know if it will be recorded with a full band as opposed to an acoustic type effort? Here's hoping...

Jim

Hi Jim

Yes, it will be recorded with a full band, apart from one song, which will be recorded just with voice and piano. The reason for wish will become very apparent to anyone buying it Very Happy
PostPosted:
Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:25 pm
seanjamdown
Too Hot

Trojan wrote:

I definitely agree about the charm of The Bodysnatchers. My understanding of the new recordings is that they are very in keeping with the original style and production of the band.

The idea is to recapture anything, but alot of thought and effort is going in to make the recordings very relevant, especially in the absence of an albums worth of studio recordings.

There is definitely room also for some sort of Bodysnatchers collection in my opinion.

Rhoda's reasoning behind this is that she has been asked for 35 years about recording an album, so here it comes. A very personal one it is to.
PostPosted:
Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:31 pm
seanjamdown
Too Hot

HarryJ185 wrote:
I had not heard about this - thanks for posting. I don't mean to be rude - I do really like this idea and will be buying the record - but if they are not reforming should it really be released under the Bodysnatchers name?

It's not being released under The Bodysnatchers name. It very clearly is Rhoda Dakar sings The Bodysnatchers.
PostPosted:
Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:33 pm