Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information The Selecter / Subculture (30th March 2015)

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinyl arrived with a download code, so been listening to it going to work. I think it is excellent.

Sugarman - thanks for posting re Vintage Sessions. They really looked like they were enjoying themselves. Was great to hear Box Fresh sung by Pauline and It Never Worked Out sung by Gaps. Really good choices - just wish they had been on longer. Would have loved to hear a live version of See Them A Come. Nice they played an old classic too.

I love Crushed by Roland Gift so great to hear it live and enjoyed The Prisoner. Not so sure about that version of Good Thing, though...
PostPosted:
Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:50 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Sugarman
Too Hot

HarryJ185 wrote:
Vinyl arrived with a download code, so been listening to it going to work. I think it is excellent.

Sugarman - thanks for posting re Vintage Sessions. They really looked like they were enjoying themselves. Was great to hear Box Fresh sung by Pauline and It Never Worked Out sung by Gaps. Really good choices - just wish they had been on longer. Would have loved to hear a live version of See Them A Come. Nice they played an old classic too.

I love Crushed by Roland Gift so great to hear it live and enjoyed The Prisoner. Not so sure about that version of Good Thing, though...

Well I'm glad people are enjoying the new album and their live performance on Vintage TV Smile

I agree with with you Harry about Roland Gift he was indeed excellent and I also agree about Good Thing it wasn't a very good version Smile
Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:32 pm
inlikeflynn
Gangster
Gangster

kennybacon wrote:
I played the album again today, and it does appear to be growing on me, 'Open Goal' wouldn't of been out of place if it had appeared on Celebrate The Bullet all them years ago Very Happy

I Completely agree on Open Goal, and to be honest if you listen to the album repeatedly, it's noticeable that Pauline and Gaps vocals sound more akin to the style and vibe of that era than they have for years.
The album seems to echo influences from Celebrate The Bullet, with a smattering of punch of Too Much Pressure, but adapted and taken forward to a more modern feel....I don't think it's Ska by numbers at all, that's Bad Manners dept these days.
Personally I am wondering if some people who have said The Selecter have lost their edge, have listened to the hard hitting lyrics on Subculture.
Some of those lyrics would sit well on any hard hitting 2-Tone album, Pauline and Gaps have not lost their touch.
I think the albums one of those that grows on you, certainly the first half of the album is excellent lyrically and Box Fresh has more catchy hooks than a Fishermans riverside rally.
It might not be everyone's cup of tea but at least The Selecter are releasing new material, and the excellent reviews in the music press and chart placings suggest that the album has been well received.
I am just damned glad that finally, the Spirit of 2-Tone has seen somewhat of a resurgence amongst all the crappy manufactured shite on the airwaves.
It's a pity some of The Selecter's stablemates from the era are still unable to put out something new. Ranking Rogers Beat have been promising an album for years, The Specials probably never will again, though I live in hope and would leap for joy.
But I suppose it hasn't been too bad this past year or so... Rhoda's Bodysnatchers album was a corker, Roddy and Neville have released new albums or EP's and The Selecter are doing well with Subculture... maybe there is a silver lining after all.
PostPosted:
Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:17 am
Sugarman
Too Hot

Brand new promo video Smile

Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:18 pm
done donald
Ska Face
Ska Face

I was hesitant about buying the album based on the track Sugarman posted at the beginning - I agree with Trojan that it was very 'Ska by numbers'. I don't like Pauline's vocal on it - it's almost like she sings Mox fresh at times and that grates.

However, that aside for me it's their best album since Celebrate The Bullet. Great that Gaps gets a prominent role on it too and isn't just a backing singer. Two excellent covers (both the choice of covers and the execution) and very consistent throughout. Can't wait to see them live now in December.

Even the cover is excellent.

Jim
It’s A Wonderful Life. It’s a wonderful film, but the more I watch it the more I want Potter to succeed. Not least when that lot up the road come out into the street every New Year’s Eve, drunk on Ptolemy’s hock, hugging each other and going “Hee-haw, hee-haw”…
PostPosted:
Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:48 pm
Hugh
Too Hot

I'm tired of people my age.

https://youtu.be/aQnNegxsq6c
Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:47 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Hugh
Too Hot