Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Roddy song dropped from Deluxe More Specials C.D.

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » Roddy "Radiation" Byers  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Trojan
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugarman wrote:
I'm guessing the reason Braggin' And Tryin' Not To Lie wasn't included on More Specials deluxe edition is because It's available as a free single with the vinyl lp reissued last year?

I blame Warner music, not Jerry Dammers Smile

http://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Specials-VINYL-The/dp/B00IMHBHIW/ref=mb_oe_l

I doubt that just because it had been re-released last year that somehow the record would feel some guilt about releasing it yet again.

It's only a matter if time before these recent CD re-release ripp offs will be released as a box set, just like the previous CD re-issues were.

Can someone please make it stop?????

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Wed May 06, 2015 2:00 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Sugarman
Too Hot

Trojan wrote:
Sugarman wrote:
I'm guessing the reason Braggin' And Tryin' Not To Lie wasn't included on More Specials deluxe edition is because It's available as a free single with the vinyl lp reissued last year?

I blame Warner music, not Jerry Dammers Smile

http://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Specials-VINYL-The/dp/B00IMHBHIW/ref=mb_oe_l

I doubt that just because it had been re-released last year that somehow the record would feel some guilt about releasing it yet again.

It's only a matter if time before these recent CD re-release ripp offs will be released as a box set, just like the previous CD re-issues were.

Can someone please make it stop?????

It's not about guilt It's about making people by the reissued More Specials LP for the extra track but that's just my guess? Smile
Wed May 06, 2015 3:21 pm
inlikeflynn
Gangster
Gangster

Harry wrote:
Do they list all the many musicians who contributed to one or two tracks on In The Studio?
I know that on the original album that came out in the 1980s every single person is listed. When the CD version came out they mentioned the 8 band members, 4 singers and a sax player. It doesn't mention that Dave Wakeling and Ranking Roger sing on Nelson Mandela or that Elvis Costello produced it or Paul Speare played the tin whistle etc etc. It's misleading to imply Roddy alone has been written out of the picture because of a vendetta.

Jerry's main involvement seems to have been to have got Chalkie Davies to dig out never seen before photos of the band inc Roddy but no one wants to talk about that.

On the first Specialized double CD there are covers of pretty much everything but there's no Bragging and Trying Not To Lie - do Roddy obsessives believe Paul Willo is part of some evil conspiracy too? What dark deeds hide behind "Bragging" being dropped by the compilers of The Specialized CD

Far from being a Roddy obsessive, I just think its curious that Roddy's and Horace's contributions and indeed, other musicians you mentioned were not credited as before, Paul Willo I have the utmost respect for and always will have.
I would have thought it less odd and more consistent if Rude Boys Outta Jail had been dropped as well....
PostPosted:
Thu May 07, 2015 2:07 pm
Harry
Too Hot

Sorry Inlikeflynn, I read your post and thought you were agreeing with the opinion that someone had dropped "Bragging" track as a sight to Roddy and that the fact his guitar contribution to "Racist Friend"wasn't mentioned was another slight. And that whoever was making this decisions wasn't nice etc.

Lynval, Ranking Roger, Afrodisiak, Dave Wakeling and Costello were involved with Nelson Mandela. Rhoda not only sang but also helped with the lyrics so definitely the compilers should have made more effort to list everyone's contributions. I'm sure everyone agrees 100% on that. You might be interested in this feature about recording Mandela from Uncut...

Thu May 07, 2015 3:27 pm
inlikeflynn
Gangster
Gangster

[quote="Harry"]Sorry Inlikeflynn, I read your post and thought you were agreeing with the opinion that someone had dropped "Bragging" track as a sight to Roddy and that the fact his guitar contribution to "Racist Friend"wasn't mentioned was another slight. And that whoever was making this decisions wasn't nice etc.

Lynval, Ranking Roger, Afrodisiak, Dave Wakeling and Costello were involved with Nelson Mandela. Rhoda not only sang but also helped with the lyrics so definitely the compilers should have made more effort to list everyone's contributions. I'm sure everyone agrees 100% on that. You might be interested in this feature about recording Mandela from Uncut...

Well to be honest I still don't know what to make of it. Many years ago Jerry said that the only reason Braggin' was not included on the album was a matter of album length...which I never quite understood unless it was a contractual issue.
But now there is no reason to leave it out, so someone has made a decision not to include it, I assumed that it must have been Jerry for whatever reason he has.
I may be wrong, but it was obviously done with some deliberation as Neville's Rude Boys track is included, that in itself is curious and I don't think you can blame anyone for wondering if there was a feeling that Jerry does not like Roddy's track and feels does not fit with the tone of the album as he envisaged ?
Personally I think that if Rod and Nevs tracks had been included, the albums diversity would be further heightened in light of them.
I do think that Roddy's and Horace's contributions to that In The Studio album should have been listed along with others, there was no point in omitting them, considering space has been granted to list the musicians on the bonus tracks.
But anyway, thanks for the article. I had hoped that the In The Studio set would include the 'Play at Home' versions of some of the tracks, particularly the skanking version of 'Can't Get A Break ' .. Might have been a lot more exciting than half a dozen Instrumentals.
Oh and by the way, I hadn't even been aware of any conspiracy theories against Willo... I don't log on much but it sounds ludicrous... Paul is so devoted to the band and its fans and is a fantastic bloke.
PostPosted:
Thu May 07, 2015 6:05 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

Does anyone seriously think that a lot of thought and effort went into these re-issues? They were chucked out by the record company in order to recoup some revenue from the purchase of the back catalogue. It's hardly surprising that such details or indeed tracks have been omitted.

Rasta Call You and Easter Island have been left off The Special AKA re-hash. Maybe Jerry has it in for Rico as well Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Trojan on Thu May 07, 2015 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted:
Thu May 07, 2015 6:42 pm
Harry
Too Hot

"I had hoped that the In The Studio set would include the 'Play at Home' versions of some of the tracks, particularly the skanking version of 'Can't Get A Break ' ."

Yep, I absolutely agree 100%
It would have been great if there was a DVD of the Chanel 4 documentary about "In The Studio" included.
Rhoda apparently wrote a song called "Male Chauvinist Pig" that I'd like to hear and there's another song mentioned called something like "Photo Book Love" (or something similar) - would have been great if they'd included that and the live version of Mandela (from The Tube) with Costello singing.
C'est la vie - but I was pleased to see the 5 star reviews and delighted Chalkie Davies unearthed rare photos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmkTAvtneYw
Thu May 07, 2015 6:48 pm
Jett Rink
Special

I thought Jerry had complete control on these re-issues? Confused
PostPosted:
Sat May 23, 2015 9:53 am
Jett Rink
Special

Roddy must of done something really bad too Gerald Dankey? Sad
PostPosted:
Wed May 27, 2015 2:01 pm
my stan smiths
Stereotype

Quote from Jerry in 'The 2-tone book for Rude Boys'.....'It's just a pity we couldn't get Roddy's Braggin' and Tryin' Not To Lie on the album itself.' Just as well there's an expanded deluxe edition 35 years later then!
PostPosted:
Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:05 pm
Harry
Too Hot

I think I'm right in saying that Jerry Dammers approved or agreed with the appointment of Lois Wilson as the music journalist who wrote the new sleeve notes and Tim Debney as being the person remastering the tracks. The word "deluxe" doesn't mean "complete" If the CDs come in a box and feature some rare and unseen Chalkie Davies photos of the band, then it's accurate to describe it as a deluxe edition. Unlike "Stereo-Typical" (which is still available) These albums have had rave 5 star reviews in the press. When they first come out they were really expensive apparently (£21) but they're now cheaper - in Feb they went down to £11.99 on WOWCD and in April Amazon were only asking just £9.99
On other websites people are making different comments....
"The bass has certainly been lifted on the new mastering. I’m digging it."
- "No 12″ version of Free Nelson Mandela?"
"Dig the ‘Break Down The Door’ instrumental. Unique mix and not just the extended version sans vocals as I expected. ‘Nelson Mandela’ instrumental is also good and differs from released versions. ‘War Crimes’ instrumental also unique but more similar to 12″ version. ‘Can’t Get a Break’ is extended version from the ‘…Girlfriend’ 12″ vs shorter 7″ edit. Would have liked US 12″ remix of ‘Mandela’…" etc etc
I think it's a case of: You can please some of the people some of the time...
Maybe next time the albums are re-released and repackaged all the musicians who contributed will be thanked and some of the Rhoda songs, Rico stuff, and other songs mentioned in this thread will be included?
Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:40 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Harry wrote:

Maybe next time the albums are re-released and repackaged all the musicians who contributed will be thanked and some of the Rhoda songs, Rico stuff, and other songs mentioned in this thread will be included?

Oh! Please God, NO!!!!!

PostPosted:
Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:34 pm
kennybacon
Special

Trojan wrote:

Oh! Please God, NO!!!!!

My thoughts too, but the 40th anniversary of the first album will be too much of an irresistible opportunity to shake the cash cow again, if they can wait that long.
Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:29 pm
Jett Rink
Special

Moo! Laughing
PostPosted:
Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:13 pm
Jett Rink
Special

Yer Buy one yer don't get one free Laughing
PostPosted:
Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:41 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Jett Rink wrote:
Yer Buy one yer don't get one free Laughing

If that were the case with these latest re-leases (buy one, get one free) I still wouldn't be interested in them.

PostPosted:
Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:03 pm
Jett Rink
Special

Fashion is a Passion?
PostPosted:
Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:31 am
West wales Sky Blue
Ska Face
Ska Face

Weren't both songs on the More Specials cassette? I had the cassette before I had the vinyl and I seem to remember them it, in the same order as on the cd.
PostPosted:
Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:53 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

Correct both of those extra tracks were available on More Specials Cassette and first issue UK CD's only Smile

They have also appeared on all uk reissues of More Specials Cassette tapes.

Their was a Chrysalis cassette compilation called The Specials "Take Two" which is basically the first 2 albums, the extra tracks are listed but they are not on the cassette when played? Smile

The original UK CD Plays the extra tracks but they are not listed anywhere on the cd or artwork, weird? Smile
Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:41 pm
West wales Sky Blue
Ska Face
Ska Face

I've just checked my copy of the cd, as you say Sugarman, the two extra tracks aren't listed.
Shows how observant I am!! Embarassed Embarassed
They show up correctly when I've ripped to iTunes, but don't appear when ripping to Media Player.
PostPosted:
Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:19 pm