Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Terry helps with charity event

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » Terry Hall   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Harry
Too Hot

Post subject: Terry helps with charity event Reply with quote

I met Terry Hall on Saturday evening and got him to pose for a few photos.
There is a charity called MSF who help doctors help people all over the world.
People bought expensive tickets for an art raffle and the evening raised 8 and a half grand! There was live music performed by the excellent Sukie Smith and there were also several DJs including Terry plus Candida Doyle and Jarvis Cocker from Pulp.
The songs in Terry's DJ set were all very, very well known crowd pleasers. He started off with Heroes by Bowie, then it was Heart of Glass by Blondie and Need You Tonight by INXS. Dawn Penn's No No No song went down well but the song that got everyone on the dance floor was Dee Light's Groove is in The Heart.
There were lots of women slightly older than myself saying how handsome Terry still looked. He was ultra polite to everybody. He seemed happy to sign my copy of Too Much Too Young. I told him that last week I'd gone to see Horace's Uptown Ska Collective supported by Rhoda and that they were both really, really good. They were playing a pub in Lewisham in South London - Horace's band came on about midnight and then he had to drive back to Coventry etc. I said how, although it was a good turn out - however much the musicians were getting paid it wasn't enough. Terry said that's how it is these days, you either play pubs or stadiums and there's nothing much in-between. I told him Horace had told me that Brad's death hadn't sunk in, that he didn't know how he'd feel when they'd be playing live again without Brad being there. Terry said he felt exactly the same way. I asked if they'd be playing new songs in the new tour - he seemed to say he hoped so but wasn't sure. I asked if it be hard to put new songs into the set and he agreed saying possibly the encore would be a good place - but maybe not. There were several artists there who are quite famous in London and have been nominated for prestigious awards. I chatted to one such artist whose name is Gavin Turk. I've known him to say hello to for at least ten years. Gavin is friends with Brad's wife and had been to the night that took place in Camden. He said lots of nice things about Brad - he was saying how Brad was very down to earth and straightforward and yet the more you got to know him the more you realized he was very observant and a great thinker. If you want to know more about the charity Terry was supporting visit here: http://www.msf.org.uk/make-a-donation
Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:06 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Hugh
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

And how to play the flute.
Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:46 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Sugarman
Too Hot

Thanks Harry

Great post and photo Smile
Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:46 pm
Harry
Too Hot

Glad at least one person was interested.
Here are some better snaps taken by a proper photographer:
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/art-and-music-fundraising-for-medecins-sans-frontieres?family=editorial&license=rf&phrase=art%20and%20music%20fundraising%20for%20medecins%20sans%20frontieres&sort=best&excludenudity=true
I wonder what Jarvis and Terry talked about?
Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:01 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

Harry wrote:
Glad at least one person was interested.
Here are some better snaps taken by a proper photographer:
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/art-and-music-fundraising-for-medecins-sans-frontieres?family=editorial&license=rf&phrase=art%20and%20music%20fundraising%20for%20medecins%20sans%20frontieres&sort=best&excludenudity=true
I wonder what Jarvis and Terry talked about?

Harry

I am always interested in hearing about Terry Hall I just wish he would release something new for the fans at some point, It's been 13 years since his last album The hour of two lights which was brilliant Smile
Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:39 pm
Harry
Too Hot

Just out of interest, aside from his shows with The Specials and DJing, which of Terry's collaborations have given you most pleasure?
Since The Hour of 2 Ligthts he's released music with Novelle Vague, Shakespeare's Sister, The Dub Pistols etc
Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:44 am
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

I personally still like Virgins and Philistines, I thought some of his stuff with The Colourfield was great. If you are talking FB3 then I think Waiting is a great album. Talking of which, anyone know why it hasnt had the same treatment as their first album did, with an expanded cd ?
Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:32 pm
Harry
Too Hot

Yes, absolutely - The first Colourfield album still sounds really good. Fun Boy 3 had their moments and there are some nice moments on all of Terry's solo albums. But I was just curious if anyone had any favourites out of the collaborations Terry has done since the Hour of 2 Lights album.
He's made a few guest appearances here and there over the last 13 years
Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:27 am
Sugarman
Too Hot

Harry wrote:
Just out of interest, aside from his shows with The Specials and DJing, which of Terry's collaborations have given you most pleasure?
Since The Hour of 2 Ligthts he's released music with Novelle Vague, Shakespeare's Sister, The Dub Pistols etc

I liked the two songs Terry recorded with Leila (2008) and Dub Pistols, Problem Is (2003) was also very good Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7sBD_s7D3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujxL-M1Er1o

http://thespatialsaka.blogspot.ie/2013/03/terry-hall-collaborations-1987-2011.html
Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:10 pm
Fester
Too Hot

The Hour of Two Lights for me is a little hidden jewel of an album.

In the pre reunion days I think Terry deliberately became less and less mainstream and that culminated in this LP which produced some of the most unusual yet beautiful tunes he has ever done. Ten Eleven with Damon Albarn guesting is my favourite track. Could be a Gorillaz single and I mean that as a compliment as I think Albarn is a musical genius.

Closely followed by A Tale of Woe which to me sounds like the best of More Specials and FB3 but taken to the next level.

Encourage anyone who hasn't heard it to check it out!

When it comes to solo singles I think Forever J is Terrys most developed work. Clever lyrics and great tune showcase his voice. Very cool video as well.

I remember reading an interview with Boy George where he said that the best British Pop Stars didn't necessarily have great voices but rather distinctive voices that you recognise almost immediately ... he name checked Terry as one of those and I would agree 100% ...
PostPosted:
Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:51 pm