Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Specials on the cover of Uncut

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » The Specials  Goto page 1, 2  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Harry
Too Hot

Post subject: Specials on the cover of Uncut Reply with quote

New issue of Uncut has lots of classic old pics from 1979. It was great to see them on the cover but the interviews with Terry and Lynval left me feeling a bit flat. They both talk about their shock at Brad's untimely death. Terry says he has nothing in common with Horace and so they stay out of each other's way but that he and Brad would meet for coffee meetings and that Brad was sympathetic and compassionate about his mental health problems and struggles with depression. Lynval says he has a photo of himself with Brad and Rico that his daughter feels uneasy about.
The new members are also interviewed. They come across as very pleasant, sincere chaps. Steve the guitarist is without question a great guitar player but when you see recent live clips on You Tube it's obvious he isn't entertaining to watch in the way Roddy is - likewise Lynval isn't convincing on stage when he tries to do the things Nev used to do but, Terry still looks the part and Horace, the keyboard player and horn section all perfectly replicate the sounds of the first album and that's what a lot of people want.
Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:39 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Trojan
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to put the whole thing to bed. It's ran its course, guys.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:48 am
Harry
Too Hot

Trojan wrote:
Time to put the whole thing to bed. It's ran its course, guys.

but what would they do instead?
Terry, Horace and Lynval all still enjoy being on stage playing Monkey Man, Rudy and all the old hits - and the tickets are still selling.

Lynval puts out the odd single now and then and collaborates with other acts, Horace has his art exhibitions and tours with his band and seemingly Terry has health issues that mean there's only so much he can cope with.

Terry is in London, Horace is in Coventry and Lynval is in the U.S. getting together to do small tours every once in a while gives them a boost and funds their other projects. So why would they stop?
Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:46 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

Here's an idea for them, stop being a their own tribute band and write some new material. I maybe wrong, but I believe that's what bands do.

PostPosted:
Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:53 pm
phil wright
Special

It just isn't 'The Specials' any more. They'd be better off performing as the Fun Boy Three. It's such a shame and so sad to see it all end up like this. All the excitement of the 2009 reunion tour seems such a long time ago. I could cope with Jerry not being part of the reunion. 6 out of 7 was fine. But now? Just not the same.
PostPosted:
Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:21 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

I just want to hear Terry singing new songs with or without The Specials Smile
Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:31 pm
Ben Williams
Ska Face
Ska Face

Post subject: The Specials in America 2016. Reply with quote

Has anyone else seen the gigs on youtube of The Specials in America? I feel they have lost the edge to their songs. They do not sound the same. Where is the stage presence? They certainly miss the sound of Brad's drumming. He was the backbone of the band. Real shame. Crying or Very sad
Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:01 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Trojan
Too Hot

Post subject: Re: The Specials in America 2016. Reply with quote

Ben Williams wrote:
Has anyone else seen the gigs on youtube of The Specials in America? I feel they have lost the edge to their songs. They do not sound the same. Where is the stage presence? They certainly miss the sound of Brad's drumming. He was the backbone of the band. Real shame. Crying or Very sad

They have been playing the same songs since 2008. It's little wonder they have lost any presence. Going through the motions I think it's called.

PostPosted:
Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:20 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Post subject: Re: The Specials in America 2016. Reply with quote

Ben Williams wrote:

Brad was basically a reggae drummer. Even when The Specials played more punky stuff he added a reggae vibe to it. Evertt Morton did the same for The Beat. Not many people can do it, which is why it is so noticeable with the current line up.

The Specials were a sum of their parts. Remove one of those essential parts and its just not The Specials.

PostPosted:
Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:47 am
Fester
Too Hot

Have to disagree re the Uncut article.

Just read it for the second time now and I think it is a decent piece.

Well researched, none of the usual stupid errors, Michael Bonner is a decent music journo and I think he captured a lot of the confusion at the core of the Specials.

The bond between the remaining 3 guys seems very genuine. Gary Powell's piece is respectful to Brads memory and also very honest (he was "petrified" walking in to his first rehearsal. This echoes his Facebook video with Lynval this week which was again notable for the respect paid to Brad.

I don't know where the band will go from here. Reading between the lines the US & UK commitments this Autumn were in place before Brad sadly passed and there may have been contractual reasons they had to be seen through. They may well jack it in after the UK Tour. But the vibe I get is that they really enjoy it, not just the financial side but the genuine love and emotional feedback they get from audiences everywhere.

Forget "Legacy" and all that. This band still make people feel good. Really good. And that can't be a bad thing. None of us are getting any younger so enjoy it for what it is I say.
PostPosted:
Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:51 pm
Fester
Too Hot

PS

Pissed meself laughing at Terrys description of Horace as a Room Mate - "like sharing with a hamster or something .. never saw him or even spoke to him ".

Very Happy
PostPosted:
Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:53 pm
kev
Ska Face
Ska Face

I don't think that any of us can deny that The Specials have impacted our lives in a positive way. I am nowhere near the die-hard fans that grace these pages and have only seen them once at the Ally Pally, but that was enough, it will stay with me forever. What an amazing gig. I love their music, I love what they were about when they first came out and I know from this website that there are many fans who are so passionate about everything 'Specials'. The band are only half the original they were and it is up to the individual if they think this is a good thing or not. As for me, I wouldn't really want to see them without Neville but will forever treasure that special night (no pun intended) at the Ally Pally. Love and Peace to you all, enjoy what you've had, what you may still want and to the guys who are remaining.
PostPosted:
Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:47 pm
Imani
Too Hot

This is a snippet of a recent interview Lynval did for an American news website, Westword:

Although the Specials, whose last record of original material was 1998s Guilty 'til Proved Innocent, had been working on new songs, actually releasing a new album under the Specials' name is another issue.

Were going through a situation where, legally, were going through a problem because we cant release any music under our name, the Specials, without clearing certain issues that weve got right now, Golding said. I dont want to go into it. So that is the reason why we have not released any new music. Were still writing. Weve still got material that were putting together, but we cant officially release anything as the Specials until all legal issues [are resolved]. And you know what its like. This could go on for years. Its been going on for the last seven years.

http://www.facebook.com/imanipiano
PostPosted:
Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:51 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

Imani wrote:
This is a snippet of a recent interview Lynval did for an American news website, Westword:

Although the Specials, whose last record of original material was 1998s Guilty 'til Proved Innocent, had been working on new songs, actually releasing a new album under the Specials' name is another issue.

Were going through a situation where, legally, were going through a problem because we cant release any music under our name, the Specials, without clearing certain issues that weve got right now, Golding said. I dont want to go into it. So that is the reason why we have not released any new music. Were still writing. Weve still got material that were putting together, but we cant officially release anything as the Specials until all legal issues [are resolved]. And you know what its like. This could go on for years. Its been going on for the last seven years.

The specials featuring Terry Hall, Lynval Golding and Horace Panter, if Jeff Lynne, Ali Campbell and Ranking Roger can do it so can the remaining Specials? Smile
Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:20 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

Imani wrote:

You don't have to be a legal genius to work out what these 'legal issues' are. And that is the copyright of the name 'The Specials'. Considering what has been released in the name of 'The Specials' in the past (think Todays Specials, Skinhead Girl etc) I can't say I am surprised that such 'issues' exist.

PostPosted:
Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:16 am
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Perhaps they could release something as The Fun Boy Two with Panterama
PostPosted:
Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:46 am
Rude Boy
Too Hot

Don't release but play it at gigs then or am I missing something ?
PostPosted:
Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:17 pm
kennybacon
Special

Rude Boy wrote:
Don't release but play it at gigs then or am I missing something ?

Seems a fair point to me
Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:50 pm
Harry
Too Hot

In Feb of this year I had a brief chat with Terry Hall at a charity event and he said they were thinking of including new material in the set - he said if they did it would probably be when they did an encore.
Horace seems sensitive to audience reactions. He said in a recent interview that when they'd tried to do "I Can't Stand It" the song had sunk like a stone.
There are quite a few songs that they have to do as the fans expect them but there probably is room to do at least one new number
Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:44 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

Harry

I enjoyed hearing I just can't stand it in 2013 and I agree with Horace that it didn't go down aswell as Maggie's Farm & Why? the reason for this is because Terry sang it on his own and not with Rhoda Dakar.

They could have arranged for a guest female vocalist but they didn't?

Generally I miss Terry's solo stuff and I'm surprised he hasn't recorded anything new as a solo artist or even a collaboration with other artists since 2009, It's been way too long?
Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:45 pm