Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Shane MacGowan hasn't had a drink for a couple of months

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Chat   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Harry
Too Hot

Post subject: Shane MacGowan hasn't had a drink for a couple of months Reply with quote

About 5 weeks ago I had to go to hospital to have my appendix taken out. I'd never had an operation before or put to sleep with general anaesthesia. I've been super sleepy and forgetful ever since. I've also lost the desire to drink alcohol. I've lost half a stone and friends are saying my skin looks better.
Like most people I drink to celebrate, relax, kill brain cells, forget, because I'm bored or just out of habit but it's scary how the amount you drink (especially around Christmas) can creep up on you. I thought it was interesting to see Shane MacGowan has stopped...
http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/this-is-the-longest-that-shane-has-been-sober-since-we-met-and-he-is-happy-35172868.html
... does anyone on here give up booze for October or not drink anymore? I can't imagine going to a concert and not drinking but maybe I will?
Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:39 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Trojan
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped drinking in my early 20ís (Iím now staring at 50) and donít miss it at all. I stopped mostly because of the hangover I used to get. If even had a few drinks on a Saturday night I would still be throwing up come Monday morning. I had three stages in my hangover. 1. I thought I was going to die. 2, I hoped I was going to die and finally 3, the pain was so bad I was worried I wouldnít die. They (hangovers) were really that bad.

Plus I hate the way alcohol makes people act, especially at gigs. Itís a horrible drug. Itís the ultimate killer when it comes to legal highs.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:38 am
Harry
Too Hot

Interesting. Were you drinking wines and spirits or just beer?
I don't get hangovers or throw up. I just get fat.
The main difference I've noticed is feeling a bit lighter and that I've got more money.
Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:00 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Harry wrote:
Interesting. Were you drinking wines and spirits or just beer?
I don't get hangovers or throw up. I just get fat.
The main difference I've noticed is feeling a bit lighter and that I've got more money.

Just beers. I never liked the taste of booze either. To this day I can not fathom how anyone could take pleasure in drinking spirits. They taste disgusting.

Another thing I don't miss about drinking is having to spend half the night pissing.

PostPosted:
Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:15 am
chemode
Too Hot

Interesting thread this.

I'm a binge drinker (probably dreadful for my liver).... What I tend to do is not drink on any night before working but when i'm off i'll sit in and watch a movie and probably have 2 or 3 PINTS of vodka and coke..... I don't get terrible hangovers either. If I go out at weekends I normally stay in a hotel as I live miles from the nearest boozer and tend to only go to gigs or dj events and I normally drink from morning till bed...and again don't suffer too much.

However a couple of weeks ago I drove to Brighton to see "Too Many Crooks" perform and because I was working the next day had to drive back. I never had a drink and have to say it was the best gig i'd been to this year. I even get in on the stage invasion and I was stone sober......

So I think you can enjoy yourself sober as long as you are in the right environment.... Off to the South Coast Shakedown this weekend and I will be getting my drinking head on.
Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:10 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
kennybacon
Special

As I have got older I have drunk less and less alcohol, can't be doing with hangovers, just a waste of a day or two and the feeling like shite doesn't outweigh the merriment of the session these days.
Gigs and things seem much better when you can remember them I think, so I tend to just have a few fruity ciders for such events these days and no feeling rough the next day.
Still get sozzled on occasions, but probably can count them on one hand throughout the year, whereas in my younger days it would be once or twice per weekend
Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:36 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

kennybacon wrote:
As I have got older I have drunk less and less alcohol, can't be doing with hangovers, just a waste of a day or two and the feeling like shite doesn't outweigh the merriment of the session these days.
Gigs and things seem much better when you can remember them I think, so I tend to just have a few fruity ciders for such events these days and no feeling rough the next day.
Still get sozzled on occasions, but probably can count them on one hand throughout the year, whereas in my younger days it would be once or twice per weekend

That is one thing I could never get my head around: why people get so drunk at gigs. Why pay that money and make the effort to be so blocked that you can't remember a damn thing? I have seen people so pissed that they spend the night passed out at the side of the venue. Sounds like a great night out to me Shocked Shocked

PostPosted:
Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:39 am
Halfy
Special

I have seen people so pissed that they spend the night passed out at the side of the venue. Sounds like a great night out to me Shocked Shocked

Coldplay?
Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:20 am